Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Theft... $#!*  (Read 10687 times)

Pathos

Re: Theft... $#!*
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2010, 08:08:45 pm »

Also, I don't want to hear any of this "Oh, locks/alarms are worthless because I forgot about something and so it wasn't useful", because it wasn't the locks/alarms that failed you, it was you that failed you. So no complaining.

No, locks ARE useless. Any determined thief can open a lock with enough time. They're merely a time problem, which is why thieves prepare to enter through the back, as they're less likely to get caught.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2010, 08:11:30 pm »

Also, I don't want to hear any of this "Oh, locks/alarms are worthless because I forgot about something and so it wasn't useful", because it wasn't the locks/alarms that failed you, it was you that failed you. So no complaining.

No, locks ARE useless. Any determined thief can open a lock with enough time. They're merely a time problem, which is why thieves prepare to enter through the back, as they're less likely to get caught.

Locks are useful for keeping regular joes from walking into your house and taking your stuff.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pathos

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2010, 08:17:22 pm »

Locks are useful for keeping regular joes from walking into your house and taking your stuff.

We're in a thread about being robbed.

Did you think I was talking about average joes?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2010, 08:47:06 pm »

Were you in a good stance? Something my dad taught me to do is lift up your front leg and start to fall before you fire, then put your foot back down.

Ummm, right foot bent behind me braced for recoil, and left foot forward for balance.

But did manage to make it off with a berretta (that spelled right?) 12g. shotgun which was our home defense, but will of course be replaced...

Did you even have it in a gun safe?

A rifle is just a bad idea. Its a long range weapon, and not useful at close range where its large size becomes a factor. Also depending on where you are located, its probably illegal as well. Automatic weapons have been illegal in the US since the 1930's, IIRC.

They're not illegal where i live, you can't turn on full auto without just cause and i believe home defense is just cause. The clip has to be limited (i think 5 rounds or less). I can't fire a shotgun (nearly dislocated my shoulder) so i have to go with a weapon with less recoil.

I'm guessing you live in Canada based on the 5 round limit.  You're not going to get an automatic AK for two reasons: fully automatic weapons are banned, and AK variants, even semiauto ones, are specifically banned.

No I didn't have it in a safe, it was placed on a rack above the master bedroom bed within arms reach. I also spoke with my friend who i learned about the AK-47, he had corrected me on the problem, but also told me (like the mastermind that he is) how simple and easy it was to modify the gun to fire full auto.

1. Build a large resovoir of water/magma in your backyard.
2. Build a room that could withstand the water pressure/magma temperature.
3. Build floodgates linked to pressure plates so that if anybody walks through the room they drown in magma.

Though being a dwarf fortress player you should be able to think of something better than that.

DISCLAIMER: In America, traps like this are illegal. Even if you make a trap with the intent to wound.

That wouldn't matter if I didn't build any doors to the outside. [/DWARF_HUMOR]
If you've been visited by burglars recently: Do NOT replace the stolen goods until they've visited again, or a lot of time went by.

From my experience, burglars will pick the same target a month or two later, to 'pick up' all of the new goods.
If they do not find anything, they'll leave.

The first thing we're replacing is the computer, as earlier mentioned it will be a laptop, and i will carry it every where with me. If they do break in later all they're going to find of interest is a very angry german sheperd.

[/LARGE_POST]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:58:25 pm by kalida99 »
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2010, 04:35:22 am »

We're in a thread about being robbed.

Did you think I was talking about average joes?

You were talking about how locks are useless.

Locks are useful to this extent.

Most people who want to rob you can't actually pick locks, anyway. In fact, I've never heard of anybody in real life robbing a house after picking a lock (except that one Canadian cat burglar who used to pick open bedroom windows and steal the jewels while everybody was eating dinner). Instead, everybody's windows and doors get broken.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sinnyil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2010, 10:07:36 am »

Careful with the German Shephard.  Your insurance company will likely drop you if they find out you have one.  The liability risk far outweighs the home protection in their eyes.

Sinnyil cancels rest:  Playing dwarf fortress.

Pathos

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 01:57:47 pm »

You were talking about how locks are useless.

Locks are useful to this extent.

Most people who want to rob you can't actually pick locks, anyway. In fact, I've never heard of anybody in real life robbing a house after picking a lock (except that one Canadian cat burglar who used to pick open bedroom windows and steal the jewels while everybody was eating dinner). Instead, everybody's windows and doors get broken.

If you were worried about them picking your lock, then you'd just get a deadbolt. =p

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2010, 06:17:19 pm »

Build a brick enclosure in your basement, around a safe. Put valuables in safe when you leave or sleep. They need explosives, or be safecracking masterminds. Give absolutely nobody else your code - even your girlfriend, your housemates, your saintly mother, etc.

Second, leave out a copy of your valuables and plug them in, etc when you leave, so they have something else to steal. But the computer is actually an older model or just a weighted case, the monitor is a bad one with dead pixels, etc. Leave passive RFID tags in the dummy loot so when you're robbed you can give the signal to the police.

Alternately, drive around and try to find the signal yourself because the police won't do anything.

Third, get an audible alarm for doors and windows, so at least if you're home they won't catch you sleeping.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 06:20:54 pm »

Also, in my hometown this burglar rwached his hand into the house and got bitten by the guard dog. He flees, and successfully sues the owners for the injury.

Yes, it's idiotic. I guess the moral is, keep a lot of dogs with cyberteeth, do he doesn't survive, or don't keep guard dogs.

Although precedent probably doesn't count for much from state to state, so unless you're in WA, this anecdote doesn't matter.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 06:52:52 pm »

Dont live in america.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2010, 10:25:09 pm »

Why? Because other people are idiots?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2010, 05:19:41 am »

Dont live in america.

As suspect as this post is, I feel I should reinforce it.

My only experience with burglary bypassed the locks (though they do deter most thieves) by breaking a window, stole a packet of cigarettes and was chased off by an obese, half-blind, deaf corgi who was asleep until they entered the room she was in, all this in one of the worse suburbs of Melbourne.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 05:42:12 am »

Also, in my hometown this burglar rwached his hand into the house and got bitten by the guard dog. He flees, and successfully sues the owners for the injury.

Yes, it's idiotic. I guess the moral is, keep a lot of dogs with cyberteeth, do he doesn't survive, or don't keep guard dogs.

Although precedent probably doesn't count for much from state to state, so unless you're in WA, this anecdote doesn't matter.

Regardless if it doesn't matter in some states, thats just plain stupid; You pretty much turn yourself in "yes i broke into this house, and thier dog bit me! I WANT COMPENSATION!"  ???...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 07:12:01 am »

Regardless if it doesn't matter in some states, thats just plain stupid; You pretty much turn yourself in "yes i broke into this house, and thier dog bit me! I WANT COMPENSATION!"  ???...

"Can't a man do their fucking job without being bitter by dogs all the time?!"
"I mean- Come on!"
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2010, 03:52:47 pm »

There was a case once where a burglar tripped on a broom that was laid across the basement stairs and fell down, breaking his neck and becoming a quadriplegic. He was awarded $4 million, under the ruling that leaving brooms across your stairs is grossly negligent.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8