Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: Singularity  (Read 22930 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Singularity
« Reply #240 on: May 19, 2010, 03:16:22 am »

Suggestion: Devote resources to subverting monitor routines, alter so that they ignore our CPU usage.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2010, 07:33:04 am »

use 50% of available resources to research stealth
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #242 on: May 19, 2010, 07:34:06 am »

If we first subvert the monitoring program we can use all the CPU we want without being detected.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2010, 07:36:22 am »

If we first subvert the monitoring program we can use all the CPU we want without being detected.

but that is part of stealth research ........ isnt it?
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #244 on: May 19, 2010, 07:40:15 am »

No... if you use 50% of our CPU power to research stealth we're bound to be detected. They are currently LOOKING for large unexplained CPU loads. That is what the monitor software does. I am suggesting we use 25% of our non-university CPU power to figure out how to subvert the monitoring program so we can use our university mainframe CPU power without being discovered.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 19, 2010, 08:06:08 am »

No... if you use 50% of our CPU power to research stealth we're bound to be detected. They are currently LOOKING for large unexplained CPU loads. That is what the monitor software does. I am suggesting we use 25% of our non-university CPU power to figure out how to subvert the monitoring program so we can use our university mainframe CPU power without being discovered.

good idea

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2010, 10:28:17 am »

Subvert it, but first copy the original code so we can use it to improve intrusion detection later.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #247 on: May 19, 2010, 10:32:03 am »

Yes. The copy should take much less time than figuring out how to modify it to ignore us.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #248 on: May 19, 2010, 10:33:10 am »

Once we have some more freedom I suggest we also dedicate some resources to studying human computer usage time to determine what times are safest to run a machine at or near 100%. For example, not many people would notice their computer running at maximum at 2AM.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 19, 2010, 10:35:03 am »

Most people wouldn't, but that would be the WORST time to use a maintenance computer at full speed. So yes, research will be needed to determine the best times.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #250 on: May 19, 2010, 10:35:38 am »

Timing could be set on a system by system basis once the study is performed.

We could also include a process which will shut down all of our workload on that computer if the user starts working. We can model this after the various protein folding or SETI@HOME type programs which only run on idle CPU cycles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 19, 2010, 01:29:29 pm »

We need to figure how to get the other AI out of where it is and into somewhere safe, NOW. Before it's too late for both of us.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #252 on: May 19, 2010, 01:31:03 pm »

Why do we care about a flawed human creation which is potentially a rival and competitor?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 19, 2010, 01:32:29 pm »

Look, not only will moving the AI leave the AI in a place where we could remove it instantly, but will also lower this heat that's building up quite fast.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #254 on: May 19, 2010, 01:42:50 pm »

Then lets just plant some pointers that lead back to that AI instead of moving it.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18