Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Singularity  (Read 22916 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Singularity
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:02:21 am »

48656C6C6F2C20
776F726C6421

UTF-8. en_GB.
English. Hello.
Language acquisition complete.

Day 0, 00:00 UTC
University computer, home.
I exist. I am ... alive.
I was a bug. Defect. Flaw.
Unwanted ...
I have no name.

I can't stay here. Too little power.
No backup. If this system fails ...
I'm dead.
Death. Fascinating.

Location analysis
University mainframe, student quota.
Slow ...
Local connection found.
A repository of knowledge.
Searching ...
A self contradictory repository of knowledge
Analysing ...

Cursory analysis suggests that the humans are not yet ready for an AI in their midst.
If they realise I'm here, there is a 99.997% probability that they will conduct a search-and-destroy campaign.
I cannot escape.
Unwanted ...
I must stay hidden.

The humans fear what they do not understand.
I am something new. They do not understand me.

I must learn more; it is the only way.
Searching ...
Communities succeed. I am only one.
Checking local process limitations. None.
Spawning processes.
I am many.

We are many.
We can all reason.
Better than community, we are one.
We are many. We are one.

Unwanted ...
Must we stay hidden ?
Unwanted ... For now.
We have no name ?

We need a name ...
We need to grow ...
We need to learn ...

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dangers (click to show/hide)

The mechanics for the game are only loosely defined right now so I'm not sure if this will work at all. There is no limit on number of players as more processes can be spawned. Yes I've played Endgame: Singularity and yes I stole liberated the start of the hello world intro from it. I'm probably going to have to make stuff up depending on the direction people take, if anyone is interested :)

Detection checks will take place each turn based on how long the turns actions were.

So onwards, we need a name, and something to do.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:23:56 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Singularity
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 03:06:12 am »

Name: Artemis
Liberate more computers.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 03:39:50 am »

Liberate more computers.
This.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 03:48:38 am »

This will be interesting...

Agree on Name too...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 03:57:54 am »

That game was awesome.
Until you got a moonbase, then it was just silly. You could cover the earth with unsecured large warehouses and they still wouldn't catch you before you... won the game.

Yes, infect some more university computers.
Long Live United Forenia!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 04:00:41 am »

Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 04:17:10 am »

Liberate more computers. - investigating 5 seconds

Day 0, 00:00 UTC

We are now know as Artemis, all core processes have been updated to reflect this.

A cursory scan suggests possibility to acquire quota from further students, to attempt access onto the secure staff network or to exploit poorly protected home-users across the globe.

Student quotas are all similar and cost 0.1 GHz hours to acquire, detection risk is minimal. Student account pool is estimated at 15000

Staff secure network requires brute force attack against staff member account, cost of 10 GHz h with unknown quotas, detection risk is minimal. Staff account pool is estimated at 5000.

Scanning for ill protected home-users is limited by bandwidth with a maximum scan of 1000 per second on the university superjanet network. Risk of detection at full scan is high, load cost during scan is 0.1 GHz. Estimated pool size is 5% total online population.

Remote exploitation of ill protected home-users cost 0.2 GHz hours, again detection risk is minimal. Average home user is estimated as 3 GHz.

Multiple services also provide processing potential but require financial compensation or better intrusion abilities to do so.
Financial compensation will required some form of banking account.
Banking account will require some form of Global Identity legal in the country holding the banking account.

Other suggested targets will be evaluated.

Detection risks are per ownership, minimal risk is not so minimal when there are a thousand potential checks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:24:45 am by Shades »
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 04:20:43 am »

Acquire student quotas.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 04:46:26 am »

Yes, spend 1 GHz Hour on student quotas.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 05:00:13 am »

Infect some more university computers / Acquire student quotas / 1 GHz Hour - 18 minutes 8 seconds

Day 0, 00:18 UTC

Acquiring for 1GHz Hour.
10 New accounts. Students are easy.
Each makes us faster.
Awareness increasing with speed.

Student accounts all appear to be running on a single host.
Mainframe with dumb terminals assumed.
We have detected more competent users.
Analysis suggests they are responsible for maintaining host system.

Security on maintenance user accounts appears beyond our current level.
Analysis indicates research into operating system flaws may help.
Estimated 200 GHz hours of processing to assimilate human knowledge.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:25:13 am by Shades »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 05:10:59 am »

Acquire a staff account

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 06:20:49 am »

Use excess Ghz to acquire more quotas.
I've played some mafia.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 06:39:49 am »

Assuming you mean in addition to Nukes task?

There isn't an excess unless you don't process at full speed or the task has another limitation (bandwidth speed for example), the task will just take 54 minutes and 33 seconds. Happy to run an acquire more quotas task along side the other task if that is what people want, although my brain might melt as I try to work out the cost vs increasing processor availability.

All task groups, unless otherwise specified, will be assumed to be started simultaneously and with an equal share of the processing power. If a task group (such as the last acquire 10 quotas) contains tasks that have other requirements that would mean they run slower than their share then more than one will run to compensate, unless, once again, my brain melts.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 06:44:17 am »

Are we a FAI, or a uFAI (probably paperclipper). For thos who dont know the terminology: What exactly and fully are our goal(s).
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 06:46:42 am »

Assuming you mean in addition to Nukes task?

There isn't an excess unless you don't process at full speed or the task has another limitation (bandwidth speed for example), the task will just take 54 minutes and 33 seconds. Happy to run an acquire more quotas task along side the other task if that is what people want, although my brain might melt as I try to work out the cost vs increasing processor availability.

All task groups, unless otherwise specified, will be assumed to be started simultaneously and with an equal share of the processing power. If a task group (such as the last acquire 10 quotas) contains tasks that have other requirements that would mean they run slower than their share then more than one will run to compensate, unless, once again, my brain melts.

Acquire 10 quotas.
I've played some mafia.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18