Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are Titans immune to cave-ins?  (Read 1047 times)

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are Titans immune to cave-ins?
« on: May 05, 2010, 05:38:49 pm »

So, there's an opal titan just lounging about outside my fort.  He's actually been kind of useful so far (excellent at dealing with sieges for some reason) but he's unkillable as expected.  Worse, I just discovered that bridges will not retract with him on them, so my pit of hate strategy seems to have failed.  So how can I best move him to an out-of-the-way location?  Will floor tiles still cave-in when he's on them, or will I have to contrive some way to build a very large wall around him?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Are Titans immune to cave-ins?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:50:21 pm »

cave ins will kill ANYTHING. :)

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 08:29:29 pm »

WELL.

Cave-ins don't kill *everything*.  But I did drop the unkillable Titan down 3 z-levels into an inescapable, out-of-the-way, pit, which is a lot like killing it.  And now I can drop goblins in there and have him slaughter them!

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:59:19 pm »

ah, you mean dropping him in a cave in.

Dropping solid rock onto a creature will kill it, no exceptions.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:15:22 pm »

Even unkillable creatures (bronze colossus, slade colossus, etc.)?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 10:10:36 pm »

Even unkillable creatures (bronze colossus, slade colossus, etc.)?
They won't be killed.

They will be smashed out of existance.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 10:20:15 pm »

a cavein of solid stone or soil (landing on top of them) will destroy absolutely anything. (except other solid stone or soil :p)

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 10:22:48 pm »

Well, experimentation has now differed from expectations.

I had a hanging bridge where he was camped off the edge, so I built a constructed floor over his head.  It instantly collapsed, killing him.  It didn't wink him out of existence though; it blasted his body 12 squares and left a 17248L corpse.

It was an opal titan, so here's hoping the gem cutter can do something with it.

You know.  For science.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:26:57 pm »

a cavein of solid stone or soil (landing on top of them) will destroy absolutely anything. (except other solid stone or soil :p)

It will not destroy stuff, and if you drop unmined stone on creatures the remains are still on that tile.  You simply cannot SEE them with the K function, but if you dig out the stone the remains are accessible, same with any items that were on that tile.

The ONLY way to truly destroy something is with an atom smasher or to drop it down a bottomless pit.

You know, this is the 2nd time I have heard someone saying this and I really wonder where this rumor started.   Probably the same place as the 'omg pump stacks dont work' rumor  :-\
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 10:29:47 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 10:34:06 pm »

It didn't wink him out of existence though; it blasted his body 12 squares and left a 17248L corpse.

It was an opal titan, so here's hoping the gem cutter can do something with it.

You know.  For science.

That sounds like a cool idea actually, once butchering has all the kinks worked out (e.g. butchering partial skeletons, parts that don't decay properly, and non-animal corpses). If you have a corpse of, for example, an opal or slade titan, butchering the corpse would result in "an enormous chunk of [material]", which can be used like highly valuable but default material. Probably in the case of gem materials, cutting the enormous chunk would either produce one giant gem, or a very large number of high quality cut gems. Stone could be used like any other boulder, producing one piece of rock furniture and/or multiple blocks, although blocks would only be useful as a cosmetic material since they have no quality modifiers.

Sort of a semi-artifact using mega and semi-megabeast materials.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 10:39:14 pm by Niveras »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 11:41:10 pm »

You know, this is the 2nd time I have heard someone saying this and I really wonder where this rumor started.   Probably the same place as the 'omg pump stacks dont work' rumor  :-\

It's possible that it came from the fact that cave-ins of any type (either walls or floors) have a chance of destroying the items they land on. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen sometimes. This is from my own experience - my fortress "Wasprag" had a setup where I could cause a cave-in above the (steel) trade depot, and occasionally it would destroy one of the depot's steel blocks; additionally, its suicide booth (a lever adjacent to a support, with 2 floor tiles directly above both) once destroyed one of its 3 mechanisms when it was "used".
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:45:09 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 12:06:02 am »

Edit: Never mind, misread.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 09:35:30 am »

It's possible that it came from the fact that cave-ins of any type (either walls or floors) have a chance of destroying the items they land on. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen sometimes. This is from my own experience - my fortress "Wasprag" had a setup where I could cause a cave-in above the (steel) trade depot, and occasionally it would destroy one of the depot's steel blocks; additionally, its suicide booth (a lever adjacent to a support, with 2 floor tiles directly above both) once destroyed one of its 3 mechanisms when it was "used".

Well that is interesting to know.   I had done some testing and had nothing disappear so had been assuming everything stuck around.  I guess that in all of my myriad cave-ins I may have had stuff annihilated and just not noticed it because it was just an item or 2 going missing and it was never anything important.  Thanks for the heads up.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.