Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pesky uninvited guest  (Read 1263 times)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
Pesky uninvited guest
« on: May 04, 2010, 12:19:10 pm »

I've currently got a titan made of black opal camped outside my fortress.  He's taken out two goblin ambush teams, 2 elven caravans, teamed up with a dwarven one to demolish a goblin/troll siege, and ate a kobold raiding party for breakfast.  The first goblin team managed to put him in red everything, and the human caravan guards lopped off one of his arms, but nobody has made a dent in him since.  In an alternate reality I sent my steel-equipped axe squads out, they took off both his legs, yet he managed to *push* them all to death.

So now he's wandering around out there, tearing up buth caravans and siege parties alike.  I've been building an elaborate zig-zaggy room full of drawbridges with a 10-z drop for goblins, but I recall something about megabeasts affecting bridges somehow.  I've got a pretty big river that freezes over in winter.  It would be about an 8-z drop onto the ice at winter.  If I set two short retracting bridges up with constructed floors between them, would that drop him into the river?  If so, would that fall be enough to take care of him, or should I wait to do it until late autumn, when he would fall in the water and then get encased in ice?

Thoughts?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Pesky uninvited guest
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:28:14 pm »

If he's got no legs and just .. wandering around out there.

I'd build catapults on the other side of the map and fire like crazy.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 12:38:03 pm »

The only conventional way to kill him would be severing his lower body or his head (assuming he has either of those), but that is almost impossible.

With the river idea, encasing in ice is more likely to kill him than the fall, I think. Ice is an automatic kill if it works, but some megabeasts are hot enough to melt ice.

Be aware that bridges take a short while to retract after a pressure plate or lever activates them, so you might need more than two unless you can keep him busy on the bridge somehow.

The only way megabeasts affect bridges is that they can destroy them, but as long as he's stood on top of it that would still drop him in.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 12:41:06 pm »

In 40d, retracting bridges would refuse to retract if a megabeast was standing on them.  I don't know if this is still the case for DF2010.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SlipshodDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 01:16:26 pm »

if all else fails....cage traps

Of course after that, you could always build a room underground near your river, and link the cage in that room to a lever somewhere else, then wall it off, flood it, and let him go so he is stuck in the river when it freezes over, if he wanders out of the small room anyways.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 01:22:27 pm »

if all else fails....cage traps
I don't think any megabeasts can be caught in cage traps anymore.  Certainly my invincible lolsalt monster couldn't be.  I don't think any 'made of stone' monsters can even be killed in conventional ways, though you might maim it enough to keep it immobile a while.  Caveins might destroy them -- build a wiley-coyote-style titan trap with a wall on top of a support, bait it with a dog, then open it to the wide world(and seal it off from yourself!) and it might zoom in to kill the dog, topple the support since it's nearby, and die.  Or you could make an intricate magma trap to douse it with water, then magma, and encase it in magma thus killing it.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 02:08:53 pm »

dig a trap under the ground near him, get it all set up, chain a bait animal, then dig out the last tile allowing him to path to the trap.  then do something fun with him.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 02:39:54 pm »

The obvious solution would be to flood the entire external world with magma.

A less dwarven, but possibly easier solution would be to set up a chamber and a pressure plate at the entrance. Set the plate to be activated when a -friendly- (ie, one of your dwarves) steps on it. Then link the plate to a drawbridge which, when pulled up, would trap anyone in the chamber. Then designate a Urist McSacrificialLamb, make a one-man squad out of him... order him to bait the beast, draw it to the prepared room, make your dwarf stand on the plate... and watch him get torn apart as the beast is locked into that one room.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 03:37:32 pm »

You could capture him by using bait and then have him lurk in some pit somewhere in your fortress. Use bridge traps to drop uninvited guests into that pit where they are then slowly pummeled to death by that armless, legless megabeast.

Or if you just want to destroy it, you can fill that pit full of magma. If it doesn't melt, just add water. Nothing can survive being encased in obsidian.

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 05:28:49 pm »

Or if you just want to destroy it, you can fill that pit full of magma. If it doesn't melt, just add water. Nothing can survive being encased in obsidian.

Oh, good. Then you might just get an obsidian golem.

...Crap, I'm giving people ideas, aren't I...
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 05:34:17 pm »

Oh, good. Then you might just get an obsidian golem.

...Crap, I'm giving people ideas, aren't I...

Slade Colossus.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 06:58:51 pm »

In 40d, retracting bridges would refuse to retract if a megabeast was standing on them.  I don't know if this is still the case for DF2010.

I thought I read on the forums that in .31x, bridges won't function at all if a Titan's standing on it.  Dunno if that's true and if it applies to raising bridges and such.  I'm not sure if megabeasts can destroy down bridges, but they can't destroy raised ones (that's the only thing keeping him out of my fortress).  A number of previous ones couldn't get in either.

Things that don't work on Titans in my experience:  ANY traps.  My entryway is lined with cage traps and stonefall traps, with a raisable bridge at the end.  At the beginning titans usually charge up there (or chase the merchants that way) before I raise the bridge, but they don't set off any traps.  I had an ettin (semi-megabeast) get caught in a cage trap though, but he had a graphic icon in the Mayday pack so it's not the same.

The plan:  it's a several z-level drop to the river, which is a good 20+ spaces wide.  I'm going to build 2 2-tile retractable bridges on either side of the river, with constructed floors in between.  I'll chain a war dog up in the middle to give him something to wrestle with.  He's done a lot of dodging in the past, so there's a good chance he'll just dodge off the side, but if not just pull the lever, retract the bridges which he won't be standing on (he'll be on constructed floors so hopefully it'll work) and he'll go plummeting to his (hopefully) death. I suppose I'll activate it whenever I manage to finish, then we'll see if he can either drown or smash on the ice below.

I have a big drawbridge trap room set up already, but encasing him in ice would be a problem since it's technically underground and water won't freeze.  I suppose I could build a small chamber open to the outside that would freeze, but why do that when I have a whole giant river to play with?

AzureShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 07:50:05 pm »

Slade Colossus.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...I love you.
These are the kinds of bugs that make DF the game it is.  Magma vanishing?  Oops, it's all being sucked down by hell.
This is how everything works. This, right here, is DF.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 08:01:29 pm »

Why drown him? Just keep him as a guest of your pit 'o doom!

Collapsing a walkway using a rigged support is a surefire way to trap anything, megabeast or not, its just annoying to rig up so its not really repeatably, just a one time deal. If you can lure the megabeast with some bait you can lure him onto the trap, and trap him there.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 08:59:40 pm »

Why drown him? Just keep him as a guest of your pit 'o doom!

Collapsing a walkway using a rigged support is a surefire way to trap anything, megabeast or not, its just annoying to rig up so its not really repeatably, just a one time deal. If you can lure the megabeast with some bait you can lure him onto the trap, and trap him there.

Good point, I've been learning that.  I also (re)learned that you can't build floors supported only by a bridge.  I would keep him as a 'guest', but I really don't like having all that clutter sitting down there.  I think it comes from 40d, where I wanted to melt down all the goblin armor.  This guy's been such a pain, I think I'm going to try encasing him in ice.  I've got a bunch of other forgotten beasts I've walled, might let them out to have a stroll around the outside.

Edit:  I don't think drowning him will work.  After slaughtering a caravan, he seems to like to go for a swim in a pond and wash off the blood...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:37:50 pm by Jhoosier »
Pages: [1] 2