Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pesky uninvited guest  (Read 1258 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Pesky uninvited guest
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 10:42:34 pm »

if all else fails....cage traps
I don't think any megabeasts can be caught in cage traps anymore.  Certainly my invincible lolsalt monster couldn't be.  I don't think any 'made of stone' monsters can even be killed in conventional ways, though you might maim it enough to keep it immobile a while.  Caveins might destroy them -- build a wiley-coyote-style titan trap with a wall on top of a support, bait it with a dog, then open it to the wide world(and seal it off from yourself!) and it might zoom in to kill the dog, topple the support since it's nearby, and die.  Or you could make an intricate magma trap to douse it with water, then magma, and encase it in magma thus killing it.

All titans and forgotten beasts are pretty much impossible to catch in a cage trap - not even the old trick of using cave-in dust to knock them unconscious will work (as it did with frog demons and tentacle demons back in 40d). A cave-in directly onto the titan, however, should still be an instant kill. For an extra bonus, try letting the titan's inherent [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2] make him destroy the support that's holding up the ceiling above him - not sure if it'll work, but it'd be awesome if it does.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:44:35 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Pesky uninvited guest
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 10:48:14 pm »

Slade Colossus.

Amusingly, slade colossi are actually slightly easier to kill than adamantine colossi; or at least it's easier to combat-kill critters made of slade than to do the same to ones made of adamantine. I forget the reason why (I think someone conjectured something about fracturing, or something. It's easier to score a sever against slade critters.), but personal experience with downsizing colossi to dwarf-size and using them to combat HFS swarms showed that this is indeed true.

Mind you, the functional difference to anything made of flesh is effectively nil. Both slade and adamantine creatures just kinda' laugh and dismember anything squishy. It's just that pound for a pound, an adamantine critter is (slightly) more likely to combat-kill a slade critter than the other way around, or at least they have for me.

Of course, making a creature that spits slade, well, that kills everything. Everything.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 [2]