Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hardware  (Read 567 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
hardware
« on: May 04, 2010, 01:35:27 am »

If i where to build a computer specifically for hardcore dwarf fortress, what would i want to put in it so that i can run smoothly with mega constructions and 1000 dwarfs?

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: hardware
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 02:48:36 am »

well, first you need to build your time machine so you can retrieve a CPU from the year 2020.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:10:50 am »

If i where to build a computer specifically for hardcore dwarf fortress, what would i want to put in it so that i can run smoothly with mega constructions and 1000 dwarfs?

Get a dual processor setup with the most expensive processors you can buy. Lots and lots of RAM. Overclock everything (good cooling).
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 03:25:09 am »

How many fps do you count as smooth? technically it is always as smooth as tile based movement can get but I imagine that wasn't what you meant.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Xyus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:34:58 am »

I say Get a Cray CX1.

There aren't enough dwarves/elves/humans/etc in The Dimension of Hurricanes to even make a dent in FPS should they all appear in the same area. Several instances of Crysis couldn't get one to falter (Depending on how you build it).

Of course, affording one would be difficult, but... there are ways...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 03:47:29 am »

Several instances of Crysis couldn't get one to falter (Depending on how you build it).

You realise this is only because it has lots of processors so each node can run it's own copy. It wouldn't actually help with DF any more* than a single xeon processor would, which is a lot cheaper.

*Okay two processors would be better so the OS can offload non-DF stuff.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Xyus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 03:55:15 am »

You realise this is only because it has lots of processors so each node can run it's own copy. It wouldn't actually help with DF any more* than a single xeon processor would, which is a lot cheaper.

*Okay two processors would be better so the OS can offload non-DF stuff.

I forget about DF's non-multicore-ness. But still, I'd get one just to say I got one. I do things like that. (Plus, It'd be useful for non-DF things. [EDIT] Things that very few people would need, such as processor intense number crunching, very high end graphics-think something along the lines of 2010-, etc, but things nonetheless)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:20:24 am by Xyus »