Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Whirlrelic - The Pillars of Equality! [Community, returns soon]  (Read 8983 times)

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Whirlrelic - Embarking Soon! [Community]
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 03:26:02 pm »

Well if ya don't mind then I'll take Gemroads, nickname "Carl" and profession "Grumbling Swordsdwarf".  I'll take +5 Swords and +however-much-you-can-spare Dodger.  Also feel free to make him your +0 Miner, at least early on, as there's probably not much for him to do until the military gets going.
+5 swords, +5 dodge, then! Once we get the components I'll build you a training machine to practise your defenses against - until then, you're going to be getting muddy :P

EDIT: Oh and if you've got the points a Bronze Shortsword, but I understand that's pretty expensive and we can probably make a better one eventually.
I'm taking an anvil, so I'll bring along a bronze bar and you can make it for yourself (unless we get a weaponsmith)! Bringing an extra one for your shield, too, because (from my experience in adventurer mode) shields kick so much ass right now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:29:25 pm by Samthere »

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Whirlrelic - Embarking Soon, Claim Your Dwarf Now! [Community]
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 03:49:57 pm »

{accidental post}
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:12:02 pm by Samthere »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 03:59:48 pm »

Why not I ask. It's not like every fortress I've requested a dwarf from hasn't perished horribly...

I'll take the dwarf Unitedgems. His personality and physical profile are eerily similar to my own. Even his likes are similar. ... Scary.

Name: Biff (pronounced like the sound of a dwarf tripping, which is ironically exactly where it came from)
Mason (with building design/architecture as another less-used skill)

(And yes, I know I'm dooming myself to ignonimity by choosing a mason. They work too slow to hardly ever become legendary through actual labor.)
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 04:07:36 pm »

I'd like to take Gulfrag, nickname "Andreus", profession "Death Consultant", with Proficient Weaponsmith and any other metal-related skill you see fit to give him.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 04:25:19 pm »

(And yes, I know I'm dooming myself to ignonimity by choosing a mason. They work too slow to hardly ever become legendary through actual labor.)
Admittedly, I don't usually have many pure-masons (by which I mean ones I allow to work in the workshops and not just build walls), but they tend to be working around the clock, so they get pretty skilled. Plus, their value in keeping the populace content is massive.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 05:07:10 pm »

I'll take Aban, nickname "Urist McDoc," profession "Not really a Noble."

Adequate in each of diagnosis, surgery, bone doctor, wound dressing, suturing. Make me the bookkeeper, manager, and chief medical dwarf.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Whirlrelic - The Pillars of Equality! [Community]
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 08:27:55 pm »

It starts! (I updated the thoughts screen in the first post - should be easier to read now, and contain your god info)

27 Obsidian, 1114
At last, we leave this stagnant pool of little history and few genes! At last, I can show the world what a real mountainhome should look like, and what it should do! It'll be glorious, and my name will go down in history. So, too, will those who join me, of course. There are seven of us, preparing for the journey we will set out on in mere hours, a journey to become founders. I know little of them, but they must know a good thing when they hear it to join me. I must prepare, but I am excited!

1 Granite, 1115
I have been getting to know my companions as we travelled the last couple of days, and now I raise my cup with them in celebration - it is the new year, and we have arrived at Whirlrelic in high spirits! I admit, it's a lot less... mountainous than I expected. It feels so empty here, but the feather trees grow tall and many. I hate to sound like an elf, but there's something lovely about those trees. I'll have to cut a few down when I get the chance.
Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)
Without mountains to dig into, we'll just have to go straight down!

2 Granite
Work starts in earnest today. I told Retro to start digging down as I tore apart the wagon. Carl, grumbling slightly, set up a smelter and turned all the coal we'd brought into fuel fit for a forge, and Andreus set to work crafting a pair of picks of copper, and of bronze a battle axe, a short sword, a shield and a mail shirt. Carl was silent for a moment when he laid his eyes upon his new ≡bronze short sword≡ and *bronze shield*, then caught himself and started grumbling about the hoary marmots or the river or something. I gave him one of the new picks and told him to join Retro.
Zon Fernbusts toils away making gears and pulleys and other intricate devices. I plan to use a lot of these in various manners. Biff carves out a wonderful floodgate, and then starts churning out all kinds of furniture! This place will be as comfortable to live as any come the end of Summer, you mark my words.
Urist McDoc has no hospital to maintain yet; since he has the best knowledge of poisons, I asked him to gather some edible herbs from the area.

14 Granite
Thanks to Biff, we have a trade depot! We'll have a stronger economy than those fogies in Zealrelics in no time! Retro and Carl are hollowing out an area next to the river for our farms, and Zon hooked up the floodgate to a lever.

Me? I've taken up the axe Andreus forged, and I've been gathering every piece of feather wood I can find!

5 Slate
Biff's floodgate and Zon's clockworks worked a treat! We'll have a farm up in days.

We've reached a consensus that we're tired of sleeping on the rocks, so I'll make some beds from the feather wood. Wonderful stuff.

7 Slate
Struck tetrahedrite! This bodes well for the steel industry; now we just have to find the flux.

12 Slate
Carl almost slipped and fell from sheer surprise as he dug down and found himself part of a ceiling! Some of the rocks he sent flying hit a cave crocodile below, who seemed thoroughly confused. Biff sealed up the hole promptly.

Doc's been looking after the farms while Retro's busy digging. The plump helmets are growing ripe! Andreus has grabbed the last pick and is helping the other two mine out an exploration shaft, so we can truly get an idea of the kind of wealth we're standing on.

27 Slate
Gold! Silver! Gems! Riches abound!

1 Felsite
Biff and I were lucky enough to be topside for a pixie swarm; what merry little critters. I'm sure we can find some use for them eventually!

26 Felsite
Andreus found a deposit of marble, enough to mine a gross or more stones! It seems we'll have a grand steel industry.

Current State of the Fort:
Spoiler: Surface (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Z-1 (click to show/hide)
The central stairway shaft extends around 15 Z-levels uninterrupted, which should be plenty for the core of the fortress. I plan to focus the activity around the staircase as much as possible.

Goals:
Spoiler: Immediate Goals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Long-Term Goals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Experience Gains (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:52:16 am by Samthere »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 09:58:51 pm »

Might I grab Graveltrail the miner? I'm rather fond of miners :D

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 10:00:02 pm »

Might I grab Graveltrail the miner? I'm rather fond of miners :D
Sure thing! Got a nickname in mind?

I'll continue tomorrow, and probably get some migrants too! :D

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 10:38:04 pm »

I.. hm, I'd like to just say 'Retro,' but perhaps something more faux-dwarvenly.

Nah, five minutes' pondering didn't get me any further. Retro it is!

Ultimate Carl

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Carl's Ultimate Corner
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 12:01:13 am »

Wow, that was some decent equipment for like the first things forged!  Due to changes in materials, Bronze is now the third best metal for edged weapons (behind Steel and obviously Clownite), so those should hold for a while.  Good to know we can get a Steel industry going so early, though!

Also I really like the idea of the pillars.  I think the outside of one should be made of jet (or some other dark stone), and be filled with magma like you said as well as house all coffins (with the possible exception of noble tombs).  Since the theme is equality, it can be a sort of, "Remember, one day we're all equal" deal.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:46:39 am by Ultimate Carl »
...Eh?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 01:06:18 am »

Clownite
Code: [Select]
Use [color=cyan] instead of [color=teal]
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ikbenbram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 01:23:32 am »

[qoute]
Spoiler: Experience Gains (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

:( i think my smexy mechanic needs to do some moar crafting because she didnt gain any experience :p

other than that great job so far!

Ultimate Carl

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Carl's Ultimate Corner
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 01:47:13 am »

Code: [Select]
Use [color=cyan] instead of [color=teal]
Oh my, you're right. :x
...Eh?

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 02:04:27 am »

I'd like to reserve a future migrant. An axedwarf would be good, but a miner will do (I think you will eventually need more than two ;)).
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9