Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Whirlrelic - The Pillars of Equality! [Community, returns soon]  (Read 8947 times)

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Whirlrelic - The Pillars of Equality! [Community]
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 07:15:27 am »

:( i think my smexy mechanic needs to do some moar crafting because she didnt gain any experience :p
other than that great job so far!
She's almost gained +1, but there'll be plenty of work for her soon :D
She was busy looking sexy.

Also I really like the idea of the pillars.  I think the outside of one should be made of jet (or some other dark stone), and be filled with magma like you said as well as house all coffins (with the possible exception of noble tombs).  Since the theme is equality, it can be a sort of, "Remember, one day we're all equal" deal.
Yeah, one as a tomb's pretty nice, but probably not the same one as the magma one (which will be filled with screw pumps and mechanical things to maximise pressure and emulate a magma cannon :D)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:19:08 am by Samthere »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 09:41:18 am »

maximise pressure and emulate a magma cannon :D)

Please elaborate. Or at least link to somebody who did :)
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 09:46:44 am »

maximise pressure and emulate a magma cannon :D)
Please elaborate. Or at least link to somebody who did :)
Some variation on this, though with a smaller reservoir and more screw pumps throughout. :D

Right, loading up the game now to play some more!

I'd like to reserve a future migrant. An axedwarf would be good, but a miner will do (I think you will eventually need more than two ;)).
+4 axedwarf with +4 shield and armor just migrated in; I'll post his thoughts on the front in a moment :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:39:23 am by Samthere »

Ultimate Carl

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Carl's Ultimate Corner
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 11:12:04 am »

Yeah, one as a tomb's pretty nice, but probably not the same one as the magma one (which will be filled with screw pumps and mechanical things to maximise pressure and emulate a magma cannon :D)
Ah, didn't know how big these were gonna be.  Also a magma cannon definitely deserves its own tower. >:D
+4 axedwarf with +4 shield and armor just migrated in; I'll post his thoughts on the front in a moment :D
Well, military's off to a promising start.  I can't seem to get soldiers to do squat in 31.03 unless they already have a number of weapon/combat skills.
...Eh?

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 11:20:36 am »

Here we go again!

1 Hematite
I had an idea! The others look at me as if I'm stark raving mad when I start carving trap parts out of feather wood - I'd think the same if I saw it done - but no! I am simply a genius.

2 Hematite
I finished carving weapon parts and had a word with Zon. She was fairly surprised to find out I wasn't completely insane; we started working on the project.

7 Hematite
It's finished! And, thanks to the feather wood weaponry, it's unlikely to kill Carl if he messes up. It's a set of training dummies, but instead of passively accepting one's abuse, they'll attack back! I'm sure Carl will be incredibly grateful I didn't make his new toy out of good, Dwarven steel.

13 Hematite
Plans have been drawn up for the dining room. Andreus will stay down in the exploration shaft to analyse the various metals he finds, but Retro and I will start digging it out immediately. Carl's off to play with the training dummies again.

24 Hematite
Andreus reports that digging down hits only , which we cannot penetrate. It's the biggest problem we've come across so far, which is probably saying something, but it still disheartens me. Andreus tells me he's not about to give up, and sets off back to the pits.

27 Hematite
Rithzâm be praised, for he has truly guided us to the finest of sites! Andreus, through his toiling, has uncovered a great sea of magma, and along with it a great wall of adamantine, that we can easily reach without any danger. Spirits soar! In a few years, when we are not so busy and I look back at this, I shall remember to declare this day an official holiday.
Spoiler: YEAH! (click to show/hide)

4 Malachite
It's simply terrible!

I ran to tell everyone of our plight, and we all had a bit of a group panic until Retro calmed down and tossed some plump helmets in the still. Biff seemed strangely calm about the whole thing.

8 Malachite
We caught Biff and Zon together behind the furniture stockpile - he was so embarrassed! It seems her mechanical skill was far too sexy for him to resist!

13 Malachite
Migrants! 8 dwarves have journeyed to be a part of our new order, and to share in all manner of wondrous things with their kind.
Among them, though, were a pair of cats, who immediately set about littering the landscape with the corpses of critters that had stumble-bumbled into the wrong place.

A butcher came too, so I put 2 and 1 together and got 1 butcher and some cat meat!

Newcomers: (see the first post for their details)
Oglokoog, Axedwarf
7 still to be claimed!

Current State of the Fort:
Only ran half a season this time, due to migrants (wanting to post their stats for people to claim).
Much the same as before, except with more workers and a better knowledge of the map. Beyond that, rooms designated.

Goals:
Spoiler: Immediate Goals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Long-Term Goals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Experience Gains (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:51:41 pm by Samthere »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 01:34:50 pm »

What stone layers does the site have? I see a quartzite layer in the magma sea area, what looks like diorite on z-1, and (probably) gabbro in the first cavern, but what else? Do we have access to malachite? If so, build one of the Pillars out of it, and make it the hospital.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 02:03:17 pm »

Praise the miners!

But yeah, if you really want to dig out the adamantine I suggest dumping water around it via pit/pond-ing, digging down your shiny new obsidian tube, and carving a fortification into the bottom of the addy to see if it's hollow at the visible base. If not, surround the whole thing with obsidian and dig that sucker out! :D

What type of pillars are these going to be, by the way? Based on doric columns, ionic columns, simple cylinders, something else entirely?

Ultimate Carl

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Carl's Ultimate Corner
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »

CHALLENGE MODE: Everything you make out of adamantine goes in one of the towers (since there's probably not enough to build the whole tower out of it).  If the theme is "equality", then the "best of the best" metal can't belong to anyone, it's public property.
...Eh?

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 02:21:56 pm »

What stone layers does the site have? I see a quartzite layer in the magma sea area, what looks like diorite on z-1, and (probably) gabbro in the first cavern, but what else? Do we have access to malachite? If so, build one of the Pillars out of it, and make it the hospital.
Left SideRight Side
red sand
dioritechalk
phyllitediorite
quartzitegabbro
gabbrophyllite
graniteschist
slategabbro
granitemarble
marblegranite
gneissdiorite
schistgabbro
granite
sladeslade
I haven't hit any malachite yet, but I'll have a more comprehensive look at what's available to us soon.
- never mind, look below :D

Prospector indicates:
10000+ nickel ores
20000+ malachite
20000+ zinc ore
40000+ tin ore
40000+ iron ores
40000+ galena
40000+ native silver
70000+ native gold
There's a mistake in here - I accidentally included tetrahedrite as an ore of iron - so I don't have quite as much iron as that, but I have more copper and silver.

I'm not sure whether the pillars will be functional for everyday activities yet (regardless, I'll probably want the main hospital closer to the central shaft of the fortress), unless one of the pillars ends up being built directly over the entrance, in which case the malachite pillar of medical equality is definitely an option.

Praise the miners!

But yeah, if you really want to dig out the adamantine I suggest dumping water around it via pit/pond-ing, digging down your shiny new obsidian tube, and carving a fortification into the bottom of the addy to see if it's hollow at the visible base. If not, surround the whole thing with obsidian and dig that sucker out! :D

What type of pillars are these going to be, by the way? Based on doric columns, ionic columns, simple cylinders, something else entirely?
There's quite a nice piece of adamantine (the one picture above) that rests alongside normal rock and extends up into it, so the top few layers of it can be easily dug out. I'm going to wait until the miners are legendary, and non-legendary crafters will be prohibited from using adamantine (except for artifacts).
By the time it comes to digging out the deeper columns, the magma level should have been lowered by my pumps (taking it up for the column and obsidian farms).

The pillars will likely have a wider base and cap, and be fluted on the shaft. Externally rotationally symmetrical, and likely the same thickness all along (except the cap and base), though there might be external differences between pillars (beyond magma-hatches, of course). I'm quite open to suggestions.

If the queen decides to move in, I might add the [ELECTED] tag to indicate her acceptance of the removal of a traditional monarchy (though at the moment this would possibly lead to multiple monarchs :\)

CHALLENGE MODE: Everything you make out of adamantine goes in one of the towers (since there's probably not enough to build the whole tower out of).  If the theme is "equality", then the "best of the best" metal can't belong to anyone, they're public property.
Something like this, except the military will have access to adamantine crafts if there's enough sieging going on, and some of the publicly shared rooms might be decorated, too :D
But yeah, no privately owned adamantine. Plenty of privately owned gold, though.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:18:09 pm by Samthere »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 05:26:30 pm »

I tried once to make twelve giant columns in 40d, corresponding to the twelve months of the dwarven calendar. I found an image recently from when I was about 30% of the way done.

Spoiler: The Towers of Time (click to show/hide)

The six that had been started for this image represented Granite, Felsite, Malachite, Limestone, Timber (petrified wood), and (Claro) Opal - I cheated on the Opal and Moonstone towers with a reaction to produce blocks of them.

This project reminds me of that, and I ask you to do something that I didn't think of in time - Build the Pillars in a circle, and build something on top of them. Or at least make the save available once the Pillars are done, so we can do so ourselves.

Also, where can I get Dwarf Prospector? And 70k gold... WE NEED TO PAINT THE MAP GOLD.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 06:08:02 pm »

I tried once to make twelve giant columns in 40d, corresponding to the twelve months of the dwarven calendar.

This project reminds me of that, and I ask you to do something that I didn't think of in time - Build the Pillars in a circle, and build something on top of them. Or at least make the save available once the Pillars are done, so we can do so ourselves.

Also, where can I get Dwarf Prospector? And 70k gold... WE NEED TO PAINT THE MAP GOLD.

Nice! Yeah, they're gonna be in a circle. I wasn't sure if there should be something suspended between them in the centre, or if they should just surround something in the centre. Finding out the map had 70k gold made me smile; shouldn't be a problem to make my scales.

I'll release the save at some point, either at a random point, at a point when I decide I'm finished or if I morph this into a succession game, then.

Prospecter can be found as part of the DFHack pack!

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 07:00:36 pm »

Hey, good luck with the fortress. I was just reading through your thread and I had a question for you - since there are only 44 dwarves left in the world, and 15 of them are now at your site, shouldn't you turn migration off and rely on breeding? Or how does the game handle that situation? Does it retcon families into the history or something?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 07:08:21 pm »

Hey, good luck with the fortress. I was just reading through your thread and I had a question for you - since there are only 44 dwarves left in the world, and 15 of them are now at your site, shouldn't you turn migration off and rely on breeding? Or how does the game handle that situation? Does it retcon families into the history or something?

It brews them from thin air.

ikbenbram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 02:12:49 am »

oh god are you serious lol, my dwarf didnt get any single skill up AGIAN >.>
she looks like one of the girls in my class who doesnt learn and only goes flirt with boys and shit

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 04:38:13 am »

oh god are you serious lol, my dwarf didnt get any single skill up AGIAN >.>
she looks like one of the girls in my class who doesnt learn and only goes flirt with boys and shit

Well, it was only half a season, but she did spend more or less the whole time MAKING OUT with her favourite mason.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9