Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Putting more fun in Hidden Fun Stuff [spoilers]  (Read 2602 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Putting more fun in Hidden Fun Stuff [spoilers]
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:54:35 pm »

Not putting this in suggestions because I don't feel strongly enough about it, and I suspect Toady has already thought of this kinda thing.

I think the current HFS is kinda weaksauce really. The procedural demons are all right but can be a bit flavourless (sometimes they're epic of course). The unending demonic horde is pretty cool. However, it's just plain too easy to beat. I've had half a dozen fortresses now where I've successfully built a staircase down to Hell and started making an obsidian farm there to build a fortress. A safe fortress in Hell. I usually get bored before i get far, but just the fact that I've been able to get as far as I have consistently is kinda unfortunate.

Personally I think:
1) the original nonprocedural demons should still exist. They should be located in special sites that are found at a rate of (randomly) about 1-3 per adamantine vein, so every fort gets several. These sites would be similar to the Pits of old, with decorations and stuff in them, and defended by the nonprocedural demons. Now that we have Slade they'd probably be carved into it, which would give 'em a nice nondwarven feel. Although analogous to the pits I'd love them to be different, maybe a muddy slade pit for frog demons while spirits of fire live in a small castle-like keep. Things like that. Once in a while most of an embark tile would be a demonic dark tower with all kinds of procedural and nonprocedural demons and a demon lord running the show. I see these being a bit more common than Slade Fortresses, which are presently a bit too rare IMO.. I've still never found one and I've breached HFS dozens of times. Might just be a matter of the kind of embark locations I pick.

2) There should be some kinds of demons that can circumvent the standard defenses. I wonder if the pathfinder would allow for a semitangible demon that could move through constructed walls, or through any non-slade non-adamantine wall. I had a couple more ideas that would be far trickier but far more cool:
-- spore demons. This would be a common procedurally generated demon syndrome that caused the infectee to incubate a demon spawn unknowingly. symptoms would be random, with stuff like fatigue, nausea, bleeding, and infection with no visible cause being likely options. After a time the dwarf "gives birth" to a spore demon of the same type that caused the plague. I think this syndrome would procedurally target a specific dwarven body part, and on birth that part would be severed... so if the demon grows in your head you're dead, but if it erupts out of your arm you might have a chance to start hacking it with your pick. Of course, then its infectious toxins get spread everywhere.
-- possessing entities. These demons would be among the most dangerous. After HFS is breached they become a type of strange mood... but rather than building things the possessed dwarf goes berserk. Bonus points if, after a while, the possessed dwarf starts to turn into a demon, gaining new body parts and materials. Even more bonus points if the AI of the possessed dwarves varies, so you might get one that runs around pulling levers rather than fighting for example, trying to free the other demons. If the possessed dwarves could spread spore demon syndrome on procedurally random occasion, we're really talkin.

There's tons more the HFS could have but the basic gist is: I don't think it should be lock-outable. There should be demons that can only be kept back if you rebuild the adamantine around the hole, and quickly... and there should be demons that can't even be kept back by that. There should also be more to do in Hell.

Anyway, that was just me venting. Like I said, though it reads like a suggestion I'm mostly just getting stuff out of my head cuz I am getting rather bored with the current HFS.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Putting more fun in Hidden Fun Stuff [spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:30:06 am »

I see a problem with the Spore Demon simply because while Urist's head is exploding, his friends around him aren't just ignoring him. They're probably doing something like freaking the hell out.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 12:34:38 am »

Well, there is no need to post these here, head on over to the modding forums!
Can we fix it? Hell yea!

I'm sure we could even have deadly demon vermin, just to really make things hard for you.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:36:43 am »

We don't have stuff that spores other things into new lifeforms yet.

But I really like that idea!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 01:40:44 am »

I see a problem with the Spore Demon simply because while Urist's head is exploding, his friends around him aren't just ignoring him. They're probably doing something like freaking the hell out.
I think that's exactly the point.

Get sick for a while, suddenly A DEMON BURSTS OUT OF YOUR SKULL OMG IT'S KILLING URIST OMG IT'S KILLING EVERYONE RUN FOR YOUR LIVES LOCK THE DOORS PULL THE MAGMA LEVER NO THAT'S THE WRONG LEVER OMG WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE OMG WTF

...Yep. Exactly the point.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 01:53:35 am »

So... Aliens.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 01:55:07 am »

We don't have stuff that spores other things into new lifeforms yet.

But I really like that idea!

Well I'm sure as soon as toady addresses the werewolf issue, we could pull it off.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 02:30:19 am »

I agree, some HFS are full of disguised elves but some can be absolute terrors
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 05:28:07 am »

So, you are basically suggesting that demons infect your dwarves to cause unpreceeded amount of destruction, panic and violent, gory death? I like that.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

zourath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 05:57:11 am »

I agree that the fun stuff needs some variety. I think there should be an additional type of syndrome that demons can use that causes those that die while contaminated to rise as undead that are tame towards the poisoner. I also think that there should be large demon cities in hell complete with roads between them. The cities would be placed at about the same frequency as the sword HFS, though not necessarily in the same area as the sword HFS. They'd have all the FUN and decor of the old HFS, and new things such as a library filled with creepy books and cultists. (If/when magic is added raiding a demon city for these books could be one of the ways you'd get new spells).

Moleculor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 08:20:11 am »

1. Procedural generation needs guidance. Pure 'random' isn't as fun as 'randomly selected from a limited list based on point values to make the demons balanced'.

2. Facehuggers and possession can't go into the game until magic does.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 10:49:20 am »

I think the current HFS is kinda weaksauce really. The procedural demons are all right but can be a bit flavourless (sometimes they're epic of course). The unending demonic horde is pretty cool. However, it's just plain too easy to beat. I've had half a dozen fortresses now where I've successfully built a staircase down to Hell and started making an obsidian farm there to build a fortress.
You and like two other people :P.

All I've been hearing is a lot of "OMG all my dwarves died!" and "Dude how teh heck do you beat this things?"
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 01:07:29 am »

Thanks for the replies folks, I'll be back but busy getting married right now.

I think the current HFS is kinda weaksauce really. The procedural demons are all right but can be a bit flavourless (sometimes they're epic of course). The unending demonic horde is pretty cool. However, it's just plain too easy to beat. I've had half a dozen fortresses now where I've successfully built a staircase down to Hell and started making an obsidian farm there to build a fortress.
You and like two other people :P.

All I've been hearing is a lot of "OMG all my dwarves died!" and "Dude how teh heck do you beat this things?"
I think most of the people not having problems are not posting, like me. I mean, I've been whittled down by demons like anyone else, but a fairly reasonable mounted defense and intelligent use of walls and bridges can get through the hellish armies very, very easily. Then it's easy to, for example, pour magma and water in, create a pile of obsidian, and carve out a fortress on the floor of hell - complete with fortifications and walls and whatnot to rip apart the demons. They do eventually win due to limitless numbers, but losing a war of attrition is nowhere near as epic as being slaughtered by an overwhelmingly superior force. I think the latter is more the intention.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 05:23:00 pm »

Yeah. Once the werewolf problem is fixed it will be awesome. All thats really neccesary is a way for a blood contaminant to cause metamorphosis and map parts from the original onto the new creature. Modders of deadly contagious zombie hordes/parasitic aliens/spore demons/whatever will rejoice! Bonus if there is a way to specify a %chance of changing sides too!
Pages: [1] 2