Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Putting more fun in Hidden Fun Stuff [spoilers]  (Read 2598 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Putting more fun in Hidden Fun Stuff [spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 06:04:56 pm »

This could get solved at the Army Arc, so we wouldn't need to wait until Magic is brought in. The issue is pathfinding when the player can control the map with impenetrable constructed walls. This sort of issue would be what Toady wants to address when he gets round to making sieges more intelligent. The issue with "can't enemies just dig through?" is a pathfinding nightmare - when should this digging enemy tunnel through and when should it just walk around? How do you defend against this digging, if at all?

If you really wanted a "just try to win against this" demon, my choice would be coding in a [PassObstruction] tag - the demon would fly through any floor and any wall as if it was empty.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 06:45:57 pm »

The issue with "can't enemies just dig through?" is a pathfinding nightmare - when should this digging enemy tunnel through and when should it just walk around?
I disagree. Path finding is just a matter of adding up the movement cost of each square from "here" to "there", and picking the lowest cost route. A diggable tile would simply have a very high entry cost. Also, dwarves dig through different substances at different speeds, so there is already some sort of associated cost to enter the tile.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:53:03 pm by AngleWyrm »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 07:53:27 pm »

Factor in mazes and how the player can keep changing the map. What's the point of having a digger if it gets stuck in a maze just because a set of pressure plates constantly change the conditions with hatchcovers (i.e. flying building destroyers cannot just break through)? Alternately, how are the diggers meant to avoid kill zones set up by the player if their pathing says it's still economic in movement cost to go through it?

This is the sort of thing Toady wants to think about when he's making intelligent sieges in the Army Arc. Ok so it's not purely a pathfinding problem, but it's not simple to solve.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 08:12:52 pm »

So i always wondered... If you have one single staircase going down into hell, and then you start pumping water down the staircases, can they still get up to the surface after getting flooded?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 09:18:04 pm »

They can swim.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 09:31:13 pm »

but you can open it up and crush them repeatedly if you manage to set up an repeating obsidian caster.
Sig to be updated momentarily.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 09:31:59 pm »

More FUN you ask? Gladly.

1. Slade Corruption: Slade should be made mineable, and the best material in the game. Legendary Miner with an adamantium pick being the required materials. But that isn't all. Any Dwarf in extended contact with Slade will develope Slade Corruption, resulting in ADOM-like mutations and changes. A very skilled team of medical dwarfs will be able to cure SC...to a point. But soon enough, SC leads to the dwarfs in question changing into somthing else. Forgotten Beasts or Demons, perhaps. And as their willpower is eaten away, their loyalty to the fortress will falter. A powerful enemy on the inside is the eventual result.

2. Heaven: A few hundred Z-Levels up, on the other hand, leads to the abode of the gods. And they don't like pesky mortals breaking into their home. Hate demons more than anything else, and will war with them if the two are connected by your efforts.

3. Space: What happens if you try to go above heaven. No more air for you! Or heat, for that matter.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 11:34:14 am »

More FUN you ask? Gladly.

1. Slade Corruption: Slade should be made mineable, and the best material in the game. Legendary Miner with an adamantium pick being the required materials. But that isn't all. Any Dwarf in extended contact with Slade will develope Slade Corruption, resulting in ADOM-like mutations and changes. A very skilled team of medical dwarfs will be able to cure SC...to a point. But soon enough, SC leads to the dwarfs in question changing into somthing else. Forgotten Beasts or Demons, perhaps. And as their willpower is eaten away, their loyalty to the fortress will falter. A powerful enemy on the inside is the eventual result.

2. Heaven: A few hundred Z-Levels up, on the other hand, leads to the abode of the gods. And they don't like pesky mortals breaking into their home. Hate demons more than anything else, and will war with them if the two are connected by your efforts.

3. Space: What happens if you try to go above heaven. No more air for you! Or heat, for that matter.

This reminds me i should start working on my roguelike game im making... Its not really a game, just testing some of my C++ skills for now.

Pages: 1 [2]