Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Do you think hell has too many demons? (SPOILERS!!!)  (Read 49931 times)

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think hell has too many demons? (SPOILERS!!!)
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2010, 11:06:35 am »

Hell does not have too many demons. It has exactly the right number: "more".
Because if it needs more, it just makes more. At any given time, there are not "infinite" demons - there are only the ones you've released so far. If those weren't enough to kill you, the game makes more. It's not keeping track if 18 trillion (or whatever the current theory is) individuals of each demon species sitting around in the slade - it isn't keeping track of ANY except the ones who've already escaped - and even then, I doubt it keeps track of unnamed demons after the fort crumbles. When you reclaim, it just makes more.
In other words, until you breech hell, there are no demons except the ones in world gen. Once you breech it - there are always more.
That's what makes it Fun.

THIS MAN SPEAKS THE TRUTH!

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2010, 12:11:55 pm »

we're Dwarf Fortress players, and doing things that were meant to be impossible, for no more reward than proving once and for all that we can, is what we do.

Awesome
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2010, 05:56:20 pm »

You know, that's so simple and Fun, I wonder why it never occurred to anyone before.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2010, 05:59:32 pm »

You know, that's so simple and Fun, I wonder why it never occurred to anyone before.
We were too busy arguing about the definition of infinity.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2010, 08:22:54 pm »

I kinda wish I could release demons into the wild and play in an eternal hell world until the universe implodes. If only.
Hello Hunam

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2010, 09:00:59 pm »

Well, why not just mod them in as "regular" creatures then?

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2010, 09:21:06 pm »

Nope. Bodies are randomized and raws are hidden from us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2010, 11:10:00 pm »

Could definitely mod in critters just as bloody vicious an weird as 'em, though. Caste system would even let you have 'herds' of the buggers, iirc, iffin' you're looking for that sorta' thing.

S'nothin' really stopping folks from replacing the wildlife with semi-megabeast demon critters unilaterally, beyond the difficulty of getting regular critters (read: Da' dwarves an' other buggers) to survive in that sorta' world. 'Sides the effort, maybe. Guess you could just set the world-gen to stop really early, before the demon-critters eat everybody.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2010, 11:20:58 pm »

Well then, just make up your own.

Also, look through the string dump a bit.  (You have to scroll down a bit, but there's something there that looks suspiciously like a raw file.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2010, 01:22:28 am »

Sooner or later, someone will make an entire world inhabited by demonic monsters.

Might even get to play as them. Or mod dwarves to the point where they can compete on relatively equal levels. Upgrade humans and goblins, too.

Let the elves burn.

killfalcon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2010, 12:14:28 pm »

Can you mod dwarfs to be immortal? Like, take out their internal organs and replace their bones with adamantium.

I'm pretty sure a squad of immortal dwarferines could put a dent in the clown community.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2010, 01:46:00 pm »

You most definitely can. And set their speed to 0, make them larger than colossi, make the entire species physically and mentally perfect, and have them spit slade like a machine-gun, which'll usually penetrate enough to kill even the normally unkillable critters. Perhaps some sort of contact poison capable of dissolving flesh, or breathing blasts of gas hotter than the sun. Let them call adamantine out of thin air, or some magical substance combining the best aspects of adamantine, slade, and burning magma, and forge weapons capable of splitting planets from them. Any one of those freakish super-dwarves can slaughter dozen upon dozens of HFS buggers.

Demon production does not slow, even after you've got dwarves walking around with a demon kill list in the hundreds. I've tried, heh. The carnage is glorious.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:50:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2010, 01:53:00 pm »

You most definitely can. And set their speed to 0, make them larger than colossi, make the entire species physically and mentally perfect, and have them spit slade like a machine-gun, which'll usually penetrate enough to kill even the normally unkillable critters. Perhaps some sort of contact poison capable of dissolving flesh, or breathing blasts of gas hotter than the sun. Let them call adamantine out of thin air, or some magical substance combining the best aspects of adamantine, slade, and burning magma, and forge weapons capable of splitting planets from them. Any one of those freakish super-dwarves can slaughter dozen upon dozens of HFS buggers.

Demon production does not slow, even after you've got dwarves walking around with a demon kill list in the hundreds. I've tried, heh. The carnage is glorious.

Now I need to do this.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2010, 02:18:26 pm »

The best part: Each uberdwarf still only takes up one square.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2010, 02:32:02 pm »

We kick logic out the window and make the impossible possible!  Just who the hell do you think we are?!  WE'RE TEAM DWARF FORTRESS!!!

OURS IS THE PICK THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!!!
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9