Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 45

Author Topic: Woman of SCIENCE!  (Read 61293 times)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woman of SCIENCE!
« Reply #225 on: May 02, 2010, 07:56:38 am »

why use parts for money when we can get it free...

we have programming, we should use it to create virii and sell them or hack people's details and sell them

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 02, 2010, 08:54:20 am »

why use parts for money when we can get it free...

we have programming, we should use it to create virii and sell them or hack people's details and sell them

no we should create the most advanced spam bot in the universe !!!! this will get us lots of money and we can be evil muahahahhahaah  :D
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2010, 11:04:21 am »

Anyways, last time I DID use notepad, but since it was destroyed by another person it didn't help. I also never found the shift key. But whatever. Third try...

Action 12
You hurry home, your mind racing with ideas during the walk, piecing things together and coming up with possibilities. You're going to make something... something useful. Something to... Urgh, this bag is so heavy with all this crap in it. If only you had something to... Yes! You'll build something to carry things around for you!

Getting home, you pull out your laptop, hook it up to the Designix device, and begin designing. You also remember the remote control you shoved in the back of one of your drawers and pull it out. But, back to planning, first, you'll need some sort of chassis...

New Schematic Invented!
Medium Frame
Small Metal Sheet [x2] OR Plywood Sheet
Screws or Nails
2x4 [x2] or Small Pipe Section [x4]

Then, of course, you'll have to turn it into something that can move around... You dig out the remote controls for your RC motors, and look at them. They aren't very strong... but if you use both, you should get enough power for now.

New Schematic Invented!
Medium RC Roller
Medium Frame [Chassis]
RC Motor [x2] [Engine]
Small Pipe Section [x2] [Axles]
Small Wheels [x4] [Wheels]
Nails and Screws
Wires [x2]
Duct Tape [x1]

And then, if we add some sort of platform on top, which should be fairly straightforward.
New Modification Invented!
Platform Modification
Plywood Sheet [1/2] or Small Metal Sheet
Nails and Screws

Spoiler: Schematics and Mods (click to show/hide)

So, you've got a working design, but were there any sort of additional modifications you wanted to make before piecing it together?
The bot is a bit unstable with just those 4 small wheels and that platform on top of it, and the platform is currently about 2 feet above the ground, meaning you'll have to bend down to get stuff. Perhaps there's something you could to do strengthen the motors, since right now its max speed would only be a couple miles per hour even without stuff on it. Also, you currently have to control it manually via the remote (at least you hooked the two motors together, so you only need to use one). Maybe you should spend some time trying to make it autonomous? Of course, then you'd have to figure out what sort of programming to give it - you don't want it rolling people over (without your permission, anyways) or knocking stuff over, and it doesn't have any sort of sensors yet.

Well, when you think you're ready inventing, just CONFIRM to start constructing the bot.

TIME: 4:30pm
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:55:23 pm by GlyphGryph »

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2010, 11:55:45 am »

I think she should work created an program that will be able to make robot that follow you around and create a design modification to allow Medium RC Roller to be able allow it follow user around.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:14:27 pm by omagaalpha »
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2010, 12:09:21 pm »

I think she should work created an program that will be able to make robot that follow you around and creade a design modification to allow Medium RC Roller to be able allow follow user around.

we do this  :)
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 02, 2010, 12:20:50 pm »

I think she should work created an program that will be able to make robot that follow you around and creade a design modification to allow Medium RC Roller to be able allow follow user around.

we do this  :)

Sounds good.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Urist McMalaclypse

• Bay Watcher
  • Physician of Philosophy
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 02, 2010, 12:22:17 pm »

I think she should work created an program that will be able to make robot that follow you around and create a design modification to allow Medium RC Roller to be able allow it follow user around.
Fourth'd.

I'm not sure how much we can do to improve robot speed - we do have a small non-RC motor that we could probably make work through the RC ones, but that's our last motor, and I'm not sure what sort of speed it would provide. I'd also hate to add more wheels without more motors to drive them. Any ideas?
After a long time of fleeing unsuccessfully, she did what any cornered dwarf would do:  she sucker punched her own baby and then kept running.
Good god man, cats training cats? That's like how every robot apocalypse starts. But with cats.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 02, 2010, 12:43:58 pm »

You're going to have to let me know exactly how you are going to accomplish this. I mean, the programming you can do, but how do you want it to work? Remember that your robot currently has no sensors of any sort. You might be able to work something out so it triangulates on the remote control, perhaps, and moves towards it (until a certain distance), but it would still blindly crash into anything between them.

Right now, I'll assume you will write that program then. A button will be added to the remote that will cause the robot to move directly towards you, and some modifications made to the bot. Unless someone has a better idea?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2010, 12:44:38 pm »

Firstly, money gives us safety. If we get caught just once entering the junkyard, it's all over. We effectively lose the game. Buying parts is safe.
And I think it would be quite possible to sell the robot to some kid somewhere.

Also, what is the purpose of the following Medium RC Roller? I assume we could slightly increase our junkyard stealing capacity, but I doubt that that would be very useful with such a small robot.

Glyph, are remotes and radio transmitters and such free/abstracted out?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 02, 2010, 12:51:54 pm »

You've got one remote, and the RC motors have transceivers in them (on account of being RC motors).

I just keep forgetting to add it to your parts list.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 02, 2010, 12:56:59 pm »

Also, the medium RC roller, when complete, would be about 2x2x2 as far as dimensions go, with a plate on top of whatever size you wish (up to 5x5 which is the size of the plywood sheet)

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2010, 01:00:00 pm »

Actual thinking was make program that use like camera figure to figure out obstacle in way but
Firstly, money gives us safety. If we get caught just once entering the junkyard, it's all over. We effectively lose the game. Buying parts is safe.
And I think it would be quite possible to sell the robot to some kid somewhere.
I think this be good idea if decide to actual make one Medium RC Roller is mostly for selling it to make money. Since it quality low.

Actual think we should focus on make stuff that we can sell to build up money to buy stuff that we need for the real science project.

Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2010, 01:08:02 pm »

Also, the medium RC roller, when complete, would be about 2x2x2 as far as dimensions go, with a plate on top of whatever size you wish (up to 5x5 which is the size of the plywood sheet)
Eh? 2x2x2 feet? Inches? Meters? Miles? AU? Planck lengths? Light-years?

Glyph said we don't have any sensors. I think a lot of the specialty parts we'll need to get from stores - after all, people don't usually abandon cars with robot cameras or whatnot.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2010, 01:09:03 pm »

How about some crude wires/metal prongs or something that jut out in front of the bot so that when it hits something it trips something and makes it try and move around the obstacle?
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 02, 2010, 01:16:20 pm »

Glyph, you have Various Wires (x10) and a bit under that, Various Wires x11.

Hmmmm, sounds good.
How about this? Two metal prongs, like you said, stick out in front of the robot.
A metal square hangs by some rope on a stick or something in front of those prongs.
When the robot bumps something, it pushes the square into the prongs, connecting them and completing the circuit, which trips the detection.

Consider Schematic: Touch Sensor
Small Sheet Metal x1
Solder x1
Duck Tape x1
Various Wires x1
Circuitry x1
Small Plastic Tubing x 1
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 45