Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So I just spent three months hiking in the wilderness  (Read 2323 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I just spent three months hiking in the wilderness
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:49:32 am »

And now I am back.  Sup dudes.  Who here remembers me?

For those of you wondering what I was doing, I was with a program called outward bound.  I traveled to Patagonia (Southern tip of south America), Florida everglades, and the north Carolina mountains.

It was quite an interesting trip!  I enjoyed it a lot, but it's nice to be back.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: So I just spent three months hiking in the wilderness
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:50:28 am »

Recant interesting tales of your quest, good sirrah.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 10:52:32 am »

Have you, perchance, been accosted by terrible vermin on your travels?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 11:25:16 am »

Don't talk to me about vermin.  In Patagonia, we had to deal with horseflies.  Evil, evil horseflies.  They where loud, large, and bit you painfully whenever they had a chance.  I must have killed about two hundred of those things, they where so annoying.

In the Everglades, we had to deal with mosquitoes.  Thousands of them.  At one point, I had to poop over the side of the boat at night(Our poop buckets where full and there was no land nearby, only mangrove trees).  At that moment, THOUSANDS of mosquitoes decided to attack me, biting me in some very sensitive areas.

So yes, I have been accosted by vermin.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 11:30:25 am »

Oh my. You must be really unhappy then. Unless, you have admired some magnificent statues? Or maybe masterfully designed bridges? Or, at the very least, have you eaten some legendary meals which boosted your contentment?

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 11:31:09 am »

Wow that sounds really awesome. I looked up the program and saw 1,000-3,000 dollars for 14 days :(

Is there discount option?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 11:43:44 am »

Yeah it cost a fair bit of money, but they do feed you for the entire time.  It's worth it though, it taught me a lot about myself and the world.

I would highly recommend it if you don't know where you are going in life.  It really puts everything into perspective.

This is the one I did:  http://www.outwardbound.org/index.cfm/do/exp.course_detail/courseID/66

And yes, I did have a few legendary means.  Making pizza in the back country = epic and awesome.  I also admired some masterfully designed bridges.  Well, in all actuality, they weren't really masterfully designed.  Think Indiana Jones.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 01:33:14 pm »

Yeah it cost a fair bit of money, but they do feed you for the entire time.  It's worth it though, it taught me a lot about myself and the world.

I would highly recommend it if you don't know where you are going in life.  It really puts everything into perspective.

This is the one I did:  http://www.outwardbound.org/index.cfm/do/exp.course_detail/courseID/66

And yes, I did have a few legendary means.  Making pizza in the back country = epic and awesome.  I also admired some masterfully designed bridges.  Well, in all actuality, they weren't really masterfully designed.  Think Indiana Jones.

9000 dollars so you can spend a lot of time camping? You realize you can do that on your own right? For a fraction of the cost? And not have to hang around with a bunch of annoying self important 20 somethings who believe they have everything figured out just because they saw lots of trees? That last bit isn't directed at you by the way, its directed at the various insufferable pseudo-intellectuals I had to put up with over the years. 

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 01:52:16 pm »

It was a 3 month trip dude, that's like 90 days or $100 a day to travel around everywhere.  That's only a tad overprice and probably because the camping people want a profit.

Also Hi.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 02:11:57 pm »

It was a 3 month trip dude, that's like 90 days or $100 a day to travel around everywhere.  That's only a tad overprice and probably because the camping people want a profit.

Also Hi.
$100 bucks a day is a bit much actually. What were they doing that cost a hundred bucks every day? Were they camping out or staying in hotels? What did they eat? Did they go anywhere by plane? It was closer to 10,000 bucks (9700 something) and thats a hell of a lot more then it would cost to keep one person who's sleeping in a tent fed for 3 months. Besides, on the things like that I've been on they always try and shoehorn in lessons about teamwork or other hilariously mishandled moral and idealogical  proselytizing.  In the end is usually alright in spite of not because of the other people.

I'm a bit cynical though because I had to endure people who thought that backpacking around Europe made them some sort of metahuman philosopher god child who knew exactly how everything worked and what to do with their lives. If it helps someone then cool whatever, as long as they don't cop an air of infuriating superiority because of it. Because if they do then they've completely missed the point. 

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 02:16:22 pm »

As does talking like you know it all.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 02:31:43 pm »

As does talking like you know it all.

I don't know everything, never said I did. Just saying that 100 bucks a day doesn't add up in my mind (though its very likely there are costs that I don't know about) and that trips like this, in my experience, tend to produce a lot of self righteous, annoying people.
Admittedly this could be very different and could have helped everyone in it become better people who will use their new sense of self to make the world a better place. But I'm going to bet against that perfect outcome because of many things including my personal experience, the nature of the mind of college and university goers and the theory that our youtube/myspace culture has bred a generation of very egotistical people. I'm also just naturally cynical.

If I come of as talking like I know it all then I'm sorry for that, I'm just talking about my personal experience and ideas which are by no means infallible and I'll be the first to admit that. If the OP had fun and learned about himself without becoming overtly arrogant about being well traveled then bravo for him I salute him as being a decent human being.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 02:35:31 pm by piecewise »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 02:39:59 pm »

...I wasn't talking about you.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 02:45:27 pm »

ohhhh....sorry. I'm frank about my ideas to the point of sometimes sounding arrogant so I just assumed that I was being a bit too forceful and coming off as exactly what I was complaining about. I Blame debate club X _ X

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 03:01:51 pm »

ohhhh....sorry. I'm frank about my ideas to the point of sometimes sounding arrogant so I just assumed that I was being a bit too forceful and coming off as exactly what I was complaining about. I Blame debate club X _ X

The answer is always to call your enemy a douchebag.
Pages: [1] 2 3