Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So I just spent three months hiking in the wilderness  (Read 2315 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I just spent three months hiking in the wilderness
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »

Wow, Piecewise, you are an ass.  You do realize we didn't just camp, right?

It's called outward bound school for a reason.  We had a lot of lessons and learned a lot of technical skills, like rockclimbing, first aid, campcraft, plus many others.  Things that you need to, ya know, do stuff like that on your own.

And I am pretty sure you have ever been on a trip quite like this, either, so don't base your previous experiences on it.  It really was something completely different from what most people have ever experienced, and if you think it's some easy jaunt through the woods for nature loving hippies, you would be dead wrong.  Twelve hour days hiking/canoeing where not abnormal.

I may sound angry, but that's because I am; You are making judgments about people that you have no experience with.  Come on, dude.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 06:21:05 pm »

As does talking like you know it all.

I don't know everything, never said I did.

the fact you jumped on that little comment and wrote out a paragraph shows that you might feel like you do. 9000 bucks doesn't seem to bad if it includes flights and education. (or maybe they walked everywhere? :P)
Magma is overrated.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 07:03:35 pm »

Wow, Piecewise, you are an ass.  You do realize we didn't just camp, right?

It's called outward bound school for a reason.  We had a lot of lessons and learned a lot of technical skills, like rockclimbing, first aid, campcraft, plus many others.  Things that you need to, ya know, do stuff like that on your own.

And I am pretty sure you have ever been on a trip quite like this, either, so don't base your previous experiences on it.  It really was something completely different from what most people have ever experienced, and if you think it's some easy jaunt through the woods for nature loving hippies, you would be dead wrong.  Twelve hour days hiking/canoeing where not abnormal.

I may sound angry, but that's because I am; You are making judgments about people that you have no experience with.  Come on, dude.

I realize I was being pretty assy, more then likely because my personal experiences with this sort of thing weren't great and hearing about it brought up bitter feelings which influenced my posting. Imma remove myself from this conversation so as not to further derail the thread.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:23:06 pm by piecewise »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 07:58:12 pm »

Three months hiking. Sounds awesome, I love camping.

Provided I have the right sleeping bag. But other than that I love camping.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 10:40:08 pm »

And now I am back.  Sup dudes.  Who here remembers me?

For those of you wondering what I was doing, I was with a program called outward bound.  I traveled to Patagonia (Southern tip of south America), Florida everglades, and the north Carolina mountains.

It was quite an interesting trip!  I enjoyed it a lot, but it's nice to be back.

Awesome dude! In 2 days I'm leaving to Israel to do some of the same...hiking won't really be the main focus but I'm planning to do a bunch of it and help out on a trail that was created by a guy from my college.

You have any adventures camping? Wildlife/redneck encounters (or whatever they have down there instead of rednecks)
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 11:24:34 pm »

Excuse me, Jude, I understand that this is a contentious issue, but I think a lot of people in the world would really prefer if you try to use a different word for a certain subject involving a group of people who are forcing a group of other people out of their homeland.

They're called 'tea partiers' not 'rednecks'. And can't they just learn to get along? :*(
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 04:11:23 am »

Seems pointless to me. Wilderness is outdated, now. In the future, camping is all solar powered tents with flush toilets and wide-area wifi networks. Also, robots. Roombas that sweep all that dirt out of your way. Hiking by segway... ahh, the future.

Seriously, though, I too believe 100 is a bit steep. I taught myself basic survival skills because, well, I'm paranoid. On a related, and kinda weird note, I also learned what types of plantlife are sufficiently absorbent to function as feminine hygeine products if needed. This information is also useful when you need to potty. :) or even gather rainwater!

Goddess, I do love my brain. It makes me prepare for the inevitable collapse of society. Although, on the other hand, most other girls I know don't even know that camping actually involves a tent and whatnot instead of a cabin and that fancy stuff. Its kind of sad that others do not share my intense paranoia and survival instinct.

I want to go on a trip now... the trip you went on sounds cool and all, but I like planning stuff out myself. Half the fun is the trip, half is the destination. I like to add another half called, "planning it out myself" so I can have 150% fun. I wish I had the money to even consider stuff like this, though. I'd put it in the bank and pay my rent for once.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 11:31:49 am »

I've been sent on a few of these sorts of trips as a kid...

The cost doesn't seem to be off at all...
You have to pay the sheepherders guides. 
You might be paying for tools, supplies, lodging, and rentals.
You are also paying for their knowledge of the culture, local/tourist area, doing the planning for you, and contacts. 
And yea, there be profit to be made too.

@Zombie, my opinion is that 90% of the fun is the journey.  The destination, maybe about 1%.  Planning and stuff is the other 9%.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 11:44:09 am »

Yeah, they supplied most equipment, like the tents, ice axes, backpacks, and others.  We also got a lot of naturalist lessons of the local area and it's history.  It was nice to be able to try the different types of equipment, because I know exactly what I want now for personal trips. 

We also learned how to navigate using a map and compass, via triangulation and other tactics.  We also learned how to use and maintain camp stoves, which is more complicated then you would think.

So yeah in my mind it was worth every penny.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 10:49:56 pm »

Oh, if they supplied equipment then it was totally worth it. :)
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 10:09:28 am »

sheesh, one little thread about going out into the world to sleep in the dirt seems to stir up the !@#$ for some reason...

At any rate, I respect you for what you did.  It takes a strong beard to go out and do that.  How was actually coming home for you?  What did you feel?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 10:24:20 am »

Crazy yo.  You don't seem to realize how much crap you don't need until you do something like this.  It also makes you realize that the game The Sims is complete BS, because getting more stuff does not make you happier.  Like, having a comfier bed is nice.  But then the ground is nice and comfy too.

It really puts everything into perspective. 

I must say though, having all the food and water I want is super awesome.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 10:28:25 am »

Speaking of food and water, was there anything in particular that you missed on the trail? Some restaurant you ran to when you got back home?

Also! Think you'll ever go on a trip like this again?
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 10:34:19 am »

Oh damn, this makes my little trip seem pitiful.

But yeah, doing what I did for three months sounds amazing. I would imagine after a small break to let your muscles heal back you'll be built like a truck.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 01:58:26 pm »

Yes, I will definitely go on a trip like that again.  Maybe not so long, but for sure I want to spend some quality time in the wilderness.

And meat.  Oh god I had dreams about meat.  Seriously.  I woke up very depressed because I couldn't eat the meat that was in my dream.
Pages: 1 [2] 3