Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm looking for a mod  (Read 553 times)

spectre_john

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I'm looking for a mod
« on: April 22, 2010, 12:45:14 pm »

I'm new to the game, and I'm trying to find a mod that simplifies or makes the game just a little easier, so I can learn how to manage the fortress at my own pace. Are there any mods like this?

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking for a mod
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:00:33 pm »

It depends what you want to be easier. My mod (it's in my signature) could help you by defending your fortress so you can worry about learning how to manage your fortress instead of defending your fortress.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Shakz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 01:04:01 pm »

I'm new to the game, and I'm trying to find a mod that simplifies or makes the game just a little easier, so I can learn how to manage the fortress at my own pace. Are there any mods like this?
Check the forums (and maybe the wiki) to learn a bit about modding. It's incredibly easy to do, and it would probably take you less time just to make your own mod (modding in this game is not the same as coding, it's very very easy to pick up).

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 01:24:53 pm »

Actually you can make the game quite a bit easier just by tweaking the init file a bit. I suggest the following:

[INVADERS:YES] → NO
[POPULATION_CAP:200] → 40
Akur Akir Akam!

Shakz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:39:39 pm »

Actually you can make the game quite a bit easier just by tweaking the init file a bit. I suggest the following:

[INVADERS:YES] → NO
[POPULATION_CAP:200] → 40
That's the simplest way, but it will only turn off invaders, and not the various other unfriendly things (plus you will never learn how to defend if there's nothing to practice defending from). And the population cap would only limit you, and no one else, making the game harder if you get attacked. If you do that then your fortress won't be fun for very long (too few dwarves = a short game). My suggestion for a long lasting but easy fortress is to edit a few raws, you could find which creatures often kill you and delete them (or at least tone them down). This way you could practice defending against goblin sieges with easier goblins, for example.

spectre_john

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 01:46:53 pm »

Thanks guys, this will really help  :D