Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Urist McDante's Inferno  (Read 4326 times)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McDante's Inferno
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 06:23:27 pm »

you'd need a great many repeaters, demon chasing for eternity, perhaps carp
we need to decide on who the Hammerer will be, though, and maybe a dwarven Charon, to guide ne'er-do-well dwarves across the copious amounts of magma there sure will be!
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 09:00:41 pm »

Half of those sins occur on a day-to-day basis.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 10:13:31 pm »

Sobriety: Being forced to (not) drink dromedary milk forever and ever.
I really should get a copy of dante's inferno to think about this stuff...  :o
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 10:36:45 pm »

Why would the Dwarven Inferno be the same as Dante's Inferno?

We need different circles for different crimes... In no particular order, and off the top of my head:

- Those who take breaks or (in previous versions) stop to eat or drink during critical moments. These dwarves are forced to work Masonry outside for eternity, for a fortress constantly under siege. Their constructions are brittle and fail as easily as a door, and upon death will reincarnate just outside the fortress, forever trying and failing to erect a protective wall.
- Those who make mandates and demands for things their kinsmen simply cannot reasonably provide. These dwarves are compelled to fulfill frequent, impossible mandates ("Make (3/3) Granite Beds") from an unforgiving Power That Is, being punished with hammerstrikes and additional mandates when they inevitably fail.
- Those who break covenant with the elves; It's fine if you kill them all on sight out of principle, but if you meet their diplomats and agree to uphold your woodcutting quota, you are expected to enforce it. Those who fail are forced to shave their beards and live quiet, peaceful afterlives in trees. Without beer.
- Those who cripple their brothers in sparring. These dwarves get their Lower Spine mangled every day by a Mining Pick guided by an unseen hand, and the pain never vanishes, the wound never scarring over.

Pickled Tink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 11:26:04 pm »

It's nice to see that player cruelty extends to dwarves as well ;D

This reminds me of the time I built a concentration camp in 40d.

It was great. All the migrants after the first 40 would be dropped into the camp. Any invaders would be stripped and dropped into the camp (Whereupon a violent brawl would break out). The map was extremely hot, the dwarves had a farm that they could only grow non edible surface crops on and had to eat vermin. Every now and then, I'd drop a few dozen tiles of water in for them to drink (Which fell into a water bowl constructed for them, which I could remotely drain if I as feeling evil). The only workshop inside was a butcher shop. The only job of the dwarves inside was to toss the corpses of the dead down a hole where the camp workers, living in luxury, would bury them.

If you really want to torture a dwarf, dig a channel 13 tiles long. These tiles, in order contain: Wolf, Hole, BEER!, empty, empty, empty, dwarf victim, empty, empty, empty, FOOD!, hole, Wolf.

Urist McVictim cancels drink, interrupted by wolf. Urist McVictim Cancels Eat, interrupted by wolf. The perfect fear trap (unless toady fixed the AI when I wasn't looking).

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 11:45:45 pm »

Reincarnated as an elf.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 12:28:01 am »

Reincarnated as an elf.

OH GOD! How about a whipping machine?

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 03:58:40 pm »

Reincarnated as an elf.

OH GOD! How about a whipping machine?
you could put whips in a weapon trap, right?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 04:27:39 am »

I once read about a guy that stripped captured goblins and threw them into pits with a single, no-quality copper whip located deep within a glacier, causing them to freeze to death while being slowly flogged.

So the answer is yes.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 04:48:52 am »

The punishment for all Dwarven crimes should be, to be chained in the booze storage with the booze just out of reach.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 05:42:21 am »

Actually, for nobles making unreasonable demands, I figure they're given a pick and told that they're fair game for demons until they're done, but they're free to dig themselves out
Of hell.
And we all know what Dwarf Hell's made of. :D

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 02:51:03 pm »

I once read about a guy that stripped captured goblins and threw them into pits with a single, no-quality copper whip located deep within a glacier, causing them to freeze to death while being slowly flogged.

So the answer is yes.

As I recall, he mixed in freezing water, too.

Basically, build a 10x10 room with floor grates dotted around, and pour freezing water from above through the holes. Cover all remaining floor tiles with whip-equipped weapon traps, and drop a prisoner in. They will then blunder around slowly being flogged to death as they wander from trap to trap, and the only safe spots pour freezing water on them.

Bam. Instant torture chamber.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 08:53:22 pm »

Whipping machines sound decent, but would only work if they passed out... though, I suppose I could cover the level in them, and only "drop" food down from a higher level.

Who thinks I can do this without a "demon" class of untortured worker-dwarves running the place?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 08:57:49 pm »

Who thinks I can do this without a "demon" class of untortured worker-dwarves running the place?
definitely, but it'd be tough
you would need to have your starting seven being "the artificers", with whatever you need, then repeaters for eternal torture chambers, magma mist fountains, oh, and make it a desert (maybe next to a goblin fortress for free obsidian and prisoners)

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 10:05:39 pm »

I would request a change of 'sins'
Liars Impossible Demand makers
Defilers Cat lovers
Thieves Party throwers
Betrayers of kin Slow Miners
Betrayers of state Doctors using Adamantine thread
Betrayers of god Armok
Mutineers Thirsty Millitary Dwarves
Murderers Nobles
Routers Booze wasters
Slavers Elf lovers
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

Pages: 1 [2] 3