Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Urist McDante's Inferno  (Read 4313 times)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Urist McDante's Inferno
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:10:24 pm »

so, what do you think the eternal punishments for dwarven sins would be?
the dwarven sins I've thought of are:

LiarsImpossible demand makers
Defilers
Thieves
Betrayers of kin
Betrayers of state
Betrayers of god Armok
Mutineers
Murderers
Routers (routing is leaving a battlefield uninstructed, thirsty dwarves)
Slavers

there may be more, but I think I got most of what dwarves see as sins, here are some punishments:

Limbo - Digging
Vermin biting at your heals and hands
Chains completely restraining you
Dogs chasing you
2cat being in a locked room
Drown in blood (of course, this basically already happens ingame)
Carp
Skeletal Carp
Frozen in a Glacier
Devoured by demons

what sins should go with what punishments?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:17:54 pm by ISGC »
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McDante's Inferno
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:12:06 pm »

Betrayers of godArmok - being devoured alive by skeletal carp while drowning in blood.
The rest, good ol' beating with a pick.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:18:34 pm »

this is presumably after the dwarf has died
I'm not sure beating the dead bodies will get the message through

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:26:10 pm »

Huh.
You know, it occurs to me that, while I'm made one or two fortresses that haven't been so kind to my dwarves, I've never actually set out to make dwarven Hell.

I'm thinking a glacial map with a magma, and carefully divided burrows (circles)... each immigrant gets assigned to one based on his personality.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:43:48 pm »

Huh.
You know, it occurs to me that, while I'm made one or two fortresses that haven't been so kind to my dwarves, I've never actually set out to make dwarven Hell.

I'm thinking a glacial map with a magma, and carefully divided burrows (circles)... each immigrant gets assigned to one based on his personality.
do it!
you have to make sure that none of the migrants die, though, as they are already dead.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:46:17 pm »

Huh.

do it!
you have to make sure that none of the migrants die, though, as they are already dead.

Now, that makes it a challenge...

Though, I could mod. Anyone know what it would take to make dwarves more-or-less unkillable?

Also, suggestions for each level? And anyone know how to get Carp on a glacier?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 02:53:43 pm »

I don't know anything about modding, but to keep it simple you should stick to 10 levels, each with their own unique punishments (the only modding I see absolutely necessary is turning off tantrums), maybe the 10 I posted in the OP.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 02:54:45 pm »

I think your list of sins ought to be stuff dwarves can actually DO.

You know, like leaving a battle to go have a drink..  or holding the door open so all your farmed animals escape their pen..  demanding impossible materials during strange moods..  being a noble...  that sort of thing.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 02:55:33 pm »

I don't know anything about modding, but to keep it simple you should stick to 10 levels, each with their own unique punishments (the only modding I see absolutely necessary is turning off tantrums), maybe the 10 I posted in the OP.

No, that won't work... I need to be able to mine down to HFS, probably, to really be appropriate.

If possible, I'd like for dwarves to get hungrier and hungrier but never starve, be unkillable (but woundable) even by demons, etc.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 03:10:27 pm »

I think your list of sins ought to be stuff dwarves can actually DO.

You know, like leaving a battle to go have a drink..  or holding the door open so all your farmed animals escape their pen..  demanding impossible materials during strange moods..  being a noble...  that sort of thing.
well, there are a few things they can do:
Liars - kobolds can steal...
Defilers - tantrum destroying
Thieves - maybe
Betrayers of kin - fighting with other dwarves
Betrayers of state - maybe
Betrayers of god Armok - cleaning blood
Mutineers - maybe
Murderers - killing other dwarves
Routers - leaving a battlefield for drinks ect.
Slavers - caging dwarves, elves, animalmen, ect.

all the maybes represent things that could be considered done if you were role playing.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 03:57:07 pm »

I'd certainly have a nobles-only level... others might drop food down to them. Might.

What should that hell be? I'm thinking oppulent rooms, but all unassigned, and full of cave floaters or some other nastiness.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 04:16:48 pm »

I'd certainly have a nobles-only level...

Nobles-only level? You mean the *ahem* basement?

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 04:37:43 pm »

I imagine tee-totaleer dwarves woud be in betrayers of nature or betrayers of armok.

Nobles should be at the bottom.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 04:42:56 pm »

I could see pacifism and sobriety being considered sins in dwarven culture.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 05:12:58 pm »

I imagine tee-totaleer dwarves woud be in betrayers of nature or betrayers of armok.

Nobles should be at the bottom.

Since these are dwarves we're talking about, nobles might go to the top- which would fit with dante, as the "worst" level of hell is freezing.

Plus, the lowest level will probably be narrow catwalks between islands on the magma sea, and that sounds like it'd be more fun for wrathful dwarves.

And the *very* top might be where the dwarves who die in hell go- freeze them in blocks of ice.
Pages: [1] 2 3