Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Forum move/upgrade  (Read 29744 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Forum move/upgrade
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2010, 06:35:13 am »

Favicon works for me!

I strongly support dwarven smilies! Another thing to consider is to not only make dwarf versions of comon smilies, but also make ones for dwarf spesific emotions! :beyondquality: :elf: :fun: :magmaflood: etc.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2010, 06:38:27 am »

I'd say :elf: would be a good one but the others strike me as funnier in text form.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2010, 07:04:20 am »

Would those work? (with a unique colour pair for each, borrowed from DF's colours, of course, and the few smilies I missed)
Eh?
Eh!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2010, 09:23:42 am »

Via Janus stuffs:  Board notes (top block text) and signature image hiding are back, and you can change your smiley set from among a few options in your profiles now (Profile -> Look and Layout).  I think I can put some more options in there, but I'm not sure about the format at this point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2010, 09:45:17 am »

Yep. Direct link to choose smiley set (including "No Smileys" if you just hate them in general):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=theme

And for reference, what each set looks like:
Default:

Classic:

Akyhne:

Aaron (now set as the forum default):

One I'd like to see added, DarkB (can't tell from this, but most are very nicely animated):

EDIT: oh, and for the record, I am looking forward to dwarf smileys from Mike Mayday if they happen. :)
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

silantrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2010, 11:28:04 am »

shall I assume that the reason for the (not so) long new version release is this forum change?

I love being able to use the forum now.

I would also love for my vermin corpses to rot.

I know, it's only been like a week (as opposed to a year and a half or whatever), but those vermin remains...

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2010, 11:53:03 am »

Wrong place to complain about such a trivial thing.
Especially considering...

Quote from: The DevLog
# 04/16/2010: So far I've handled vermin not rotting, a crash from the site finder, and river fish availability (which related to the melting rain bug but I haven't gotten to that one yet so it's probably not fixed -- temperatures are a bit more sane though... but maybe not sane enough). The fish availability fix changed how some checks in world gen worked, which bloated the memory usage there, so I had to spend quite a bit of time getting that back down to where it was before, which also speeded up the map cursor in embark and a few other things. I had to change how map features are created to get it to work, and I've left in the old method for existing worlds. I tested it out with a few old saves, but let me know if something strange happens there.

It appears the fixes that we put in to save the forum from the rush of traffic have caused it to load poorly/not at all for people with high latency connections. The server is pretty stretched in general, so we're going to move the forum and perhaps the bug tracker to a new one that can handle the php better. I spent some time today with that, and it will be an ongoing project. I will keep you posted as things happen.

...that it's been dealt with.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2010, 01:32:34 pm »

I think silantrath was mainly complaining that, while it's been fixed, our dwarves still are poking at non-rotting vermin corpses that my kittens like to play with and carry around at random and that Urist McWhiny and his six brothers have long since gone insane and/or tried to kill half the fortress by turning my waterfall project into some kind of fortress-filling disaster project because he can't find shells because, for whatever reason, most of us still have no fish as they seem to be hiding from the deadly, burning rain of doom.

Personally, I wait patiently for the new release with bated breath because I know the forums and the bug tracker working lets Toady glean info from us on what are the most pressing/annoying/paid-for/cried-over/crushed-under-a-bridge/chasmed/filled-with-magma bugs and fixes. Also, I want to see what awesome new fix is going to happen. I am particularly peeved at my military that does not wish to train and that, when it gets hungry, would rather stand around not training while on duty instead of going to eat. We really need settings for the alert states like these "Eat at will/eat when need" and "Drink at will/drink when need" so we can make the little bastards act like civvies that just have a "Train when you aren't digging pointless trenches" sort of alert.

Also, more on topic... I like the new forums. Way faster over here and I love the idea of various smilies. Perhaps user-uploaded smily graphic contests could be in order to celebrate this wondrous occasion of the forums being updated and not, inexplicably, being flooded... then we release the magma... then the elves get pissed and humans bypass the site because it's a scorched, barren wasteland coated in the skeletal remains of elephants.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2010, 01:41:04 pm »

I think silantrath was mainly complaining that, while it's been fixed, our dwarves still are poking at non-rotting vermin corpses that my kittens like to play with and carry around at random and that Urist McWhiny and his six brothers have long since gone insane and/or tried to kill half the fortress by turning my waterfall project into some kind of fortress-filling disaster project because he can't find shells because, for whatever reason, most of us still have no fish as they seem to be hiding from the deadly, burning rain of doom.

Personally, I wait patiently for the new release with bated breath because I know the forums and the bug tracker working lets Toady glean info from us on what are the most pressing/annoying/paid-for/cried-over/crushed-under-a-bridge/chasmed/filled-with-magma bugs and fixes. Also, I want to see what awesome new fix is going to happen. I am particularly peeved at my military that does not wish to train and that, when it gets hungry, would rather stand around not training while on duty instead of going to eat. We really need settings for the alert states like these "Eat at will/eat when need" and "Drink at will/drink when need" so we can make the little bastards act like civvies that just have a "Train when you aren't digging pointless trenches" sort of alert.

Also, more on topic... I like the new forums. Way faster over here and I love the idea of various smilies. Perhaps user-uploaded smily graphic contests could be in order to celebrate this wondrous occasion of the forums being updated and not, inexplicably, being flooded... then we release the magma... then the elves get pissed and humans bypass the site because it's a scorched, barren wasteland coated in the skeletal remains of elephants.

At least he won't have to deal with an unstable forum and can give more attention to fixing bugs.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2010, 01:54:47 pm »

<Stuff I said goes here>

At least he won't have to deal with an unstable forum and can give more attention to fixing bugs.

Exactly! That is exactly what I mean! While we do not have 0.31.04 yet, we DO have a release! The release of a fast, stable (hopefully) forum. Also, let's face it, there are probably some kinks being worked out with the bug tracker too. I think I read something around here about that. I'm glad the forum got overhauled because, to be honest, if Toady didn't take a bit of time to work out the forums from working on DF, then the forums wouldn't have gotten fixed until they had become COMPLETELY unserviceable. I mean, how much would it have sucked to try to come on to post about an awesome fort where a child went berserk and killed your fort, just to find out that the forums are broke and everything is lost?

Also, I love the bug tracker. I was fiddling around with the filters to see what reported issues were resolved and it's really swanky! It's cool because we can see more of an active development going on, for nerd-girls like me who find things like that interesting... I just wish we could filter it by the "Fixed in <version>" section as well!
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2010, 02:31:02 pm »

A bug to report: Windows XP and Firefox 3.6.3 here, I'm having "horizontal rules" failing to display in specific places sometimes. Nearest example I can see - both of Jackrabbit's posts above, there's no line between the top block (with post link/quote button) and the post body. I'm using Darkling, 25 posts per page. This also happens somewhere in the middle of any thread display, be it a forum page or Updated Topics, usually three or four lines are disappearing at once.

This isn't too noticeable, but a bug is a bug.

edit: okay, once I posted this, the line in the later post reappeared. Now only the earlier Jackrabbit's post on this page has a missing line.

edit2: It seems that it has something to do with the line's position on the page, unrelated to its position in the browser window. For example, the post below this one has had the same line missing before I pressed the modify inline button, but as soon as my post's size increased when the edit field came up, the line reappeared.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:40:39 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

silantrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2010, 02:34:46 pm »

may I clarify a few things?

-I love Toady, I think he's the most inspired game designer ever

-I have no *real* issue with how Toady decides to spend his time, I can do other things while I wait on the next df release

-I *do* like having working forums (and not that anyone knows, but I couldn't get an account on the bug tracker until today, which I will assume has something to do with the forum fix, so I'm doubly grateful there)

-I hate vermin remains with a passion

now that you know my motives, hopefully you can see that my last post was simply an attempt at showing my gratitude and encouraging Toady to keep up the good work in a rather concise, if somewhat confusing, way. So no, I don't think this was the wrong place for that. I just didn't want to be another turd saying, "k thx!" and walking away without a second thought.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2010, 02:39:59 pm »

A bug to report: Windows XP and Firefox 3.6.3 here, I'm having "horizontal rules" failing to display in specific places sometimes. Nearest example I can see - both of Jackrabbit's posts above, there's no line between the top block (with post link/quote button) and the post body. I'm using Darkling, 25 posts per page. This also happens somewhere in the middle of any thread display, be it a forum page or Updated Topics, usually three or four lines are disappearing at once.

This isn't too noticeable, but a bug is a bug.

edit: okay, once I posted this, the line in the later post reappeared. Now only the earlier Jackrabbit's post on this page has a missing line.

Screenshot for clarification? I'm not seeing it here in Firefox 3.6.4 on Win7.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2010, 02:43:45 pm »

The post:
Spoiler: Huge image 1 (click to show/hide)

The thread display:
Spoiler: Huge image 2 (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2010, 02:48:28 pm »

may I clarify a few things?

<clarifying a few things>

<more stuff>

I wasn't attempting to say that you were being all "Graarh!" or whatevs. I'm sorry if it looked that way. :)

I think it is now agreed that we all love Toady like the great game making forum fixer he is. :D Now we just need to make sure he keeps Scamps out of the internets so he doesn't chew at the forum wires.

I have some slight problems though... I would like it if there were a simple toggle for all forum themes... Something like, "Display post counts <location>" so we could have them or not have them as we choose. I've tested the forums on a few browsers and there doesn't seem to be any problems with IE, Firefox, of Seamonkey... Or none that I can see at the very least.

Also, I got a random 404 error, but a reload fixed that pretty quick, still something to look out for though.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17