Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Forum move/upgrade  (Read 29731 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Forum move/upgrade
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2010, 09:22:06 pm »

A quick mention on the resizing edit box in IE6: It only happens on the plain text editor, not the rich text version, and both toggling the mode and dragging the resize bar will correct it until a character is *added*, although deleting a character does not change anything about it. (Deleting multiple characters at once, though, *does* cause it to jump in size.)

Since IE6-non-wysiwyg editing mode is likely a minority of the users, I'll just continue exploring why it happens on my own. Generated-html and imported javascript are annoyingly hard to work with so far, it seems.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:05:39 pm by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2010, 09:52:23 pm »

Why are you still using IE6 with all the awesome alternatives?  Seems like a lot of work for "sticking" with it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2010, 09:54:43 pm »

Why are you still using IE6 with all the awesome alternatives?  Seems like a lot of work for "sticking" with it.

It's a lost cause, don't bother.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:56:54 pm by Footkerchief »

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2010, 10:06:17 pm »

I like it and don't really feel the need to rationalize it.  If you don't like it, can't you make an alternate theme for yourself?

What, make an offshoot "Darkling_alt" theme or such? Heh, not really practical. As I said though, if enough people want the avatar back in the top section, I (or more correctly Toady with the proper bit of CSS pointed out) can switch it back; that's fine.

Also, are font sizes getting changed back?

What font sizes? Most of them are the basically same, particularly the important ones. As for "changing them back", not so simple; it would be a matter of tweaking a lot of little font size definitions in CSS and, if you're being particular, then comparing them to the original sizes on a backup of the old forum. Since the default SMF theme change, I already had to tweak the main font sizes to get them back into more appropriate ranges.
That said, the Code block font size will be increased a bit, and if you have any other particulars that really bug you I can see about changing them as well. This is excluding the text in graphical menus which look like the "HOME HELP SEARCH etc." menu, since those require extensive tweaking of the image offsets for any font size changes. Far too troublesome for them.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2010, 10:09:28 pm »

Other than earlier listed problems, everything seems fine, although I also miss my avatar in the top corner.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2010, 10:18:07 pm »

Other than earlier listed problems, everything seems fine, although I also miss my avatar in the top corner.

My avatar is in the top corner with a recent firefox and default settings.  The new fonts make my eye bleed, but I still have my little green dragon.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2010, 10:30:02 pm »

Because I prefer IE6 for browsing the DF forums, and am too lazy to open firefox except for sites that don't work otherwise.

Also, I found a fix for the edit box.

There is a <DIV> around the <TEXTAREA [...]</TEXTAREA>, with nothing else within, and no style of any sort.

Changing the opening tag of it to also have style="WIDTH: 100%" seems to make IE6 work fine again.

However, I suspect that some browsers may have an issue with that, so I don't reccomend changing anything unless it can be proven that either it doesn't affect other browsers, or that it can be implemented to only respond to browsers that need it.

If CSS can be conditionally loaded and applied by javascript, script.js already can identify the browser, so it could possibly, if I understand HTML, load a stylesheed that sets that specific div's style only, and maybe that would work.

Actually, I just did a test. There is  already an ie6.css, so if that is a fix file only loaded for IE6, then adding an otherwise empty class to that div, and then setting that class in ie6.css seems to fix it quite well.

Unless it would interfere with the rich text editor... Hmm...
(3 replies happened while I was writing that, as well as frequently testing something that delayed it)
Eh?
Eh!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2010, 10:34:43 pm »

My avatar is in the top corner with a recent firefox and default settings.  The new fonts make my eye bleed, but I still have my little green dragon.

Strange, my nice tank isn't there. Are you using Darkling?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2010, 10:43:48 pm »

Strange, my nice tank isn't there. Are you using Darkling?

I'm using the default style, so here in the default blue/grey area, my avatar exists.  In places with the black background/white text, it does not.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2010, 10:44:27 pm »

Very smooth move overall, Toady, Baughn, et al.  Glad to see it's working great and very speedily now!
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2010, 10:46:23 pm »

I don't mean to push the Ie6 issue any further. But you really need to get with the times, Ie6 is old, and basically everyone but Microsoft is dropping support.

This is why you should upgrade to Ie7.
Why everyone is dropping support, except for Microsoft.

Better yet; grab Ie8 if you want to not have to upgrade again for some time.

I can't force you, but you can't go on with Ie6 forever.

Also; bug, when I get any new post(s) and press preview, it re-displays it them as new post(s), and says a new post(s) was posted. So I could have thousands of copies of the same post(s) just by pressing preview over and over again.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:53:05 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2010, 12:34:53 am »

Tarran, you really don't know what you're bumping into on the IE6 issue...  I heartily recommend you drop it and leave it alone.  That thing got hot enough the first time around...  Wouldn't want to see more people get burned.

Anyways, on the topic of smileys, I must say I'm somewhat biased...  After all, I never use the things.  Like, ever.  My only interaction with them is when I have to remember to turn off an option should I ever want to display an eight inside of parentheses.

Why can't we just use text smileys?  Why should we limit ourselves to the little widgets that are assigned to a set number of emoticons?  We're on a forum for an ASCII game for crying out loud, do we really need graphics support for graemlins (heh, remember when we called them that?)?

Heck, people already use all sorts of variations and types of the things, this would make everything fit in a little better, and it might just allow you to expand your creative abilities by coming up with new or oddball smileys.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2010, 12:41:39 am »

Tarran, you really don't know what you're bumping into on the IE6 issue...  I heartily recommend you drop it and leave it alone.  That thing got hot enough the first time around...  Wouldn't want to see more people get burned.

Reviewing it some time later, I realize I likely should have just ignored it. And I was there when it got hot.

Anyways, on the topic of smileys, I must say I'm somewhat biased...  After all, I never use the things.  Like, ever.  My only interaction with them is when I have to remember to turn off an option should I ever want to display an eight inside of parentheses.

Well, Quite a lot of the rest of the forum does use them.

Why can't we just use text smileys?  Why should we limit ourselves to the little widgets that are assigned to a set number of emoticons?  We're on a forum for an ASCII game for crying out loud, do we really need graphics support for graemlins (heh, remember when we called them that?)?

Because, for forum-goers like me, text emotes just don't cut it, I don't know why, but they just don't.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2010, 02:37:58 am »

Just here to add my vote for dwarf smilies.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2010, 02:49:31 am »

Hell yes to that.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17