Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Forum move/upgrade  (Read 29718 times)

Zyzarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forum move/upgrade
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2010, 05:35:30 pm »

The new Smileys make me want to kill myself in a painful way.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2010, 06:04:28 pm »

It isn't quite as IE6-friendly as before:

The PM page is having issues, although everything else is fine, except the profile page, but it has that << button and after that it works.

As for the glow effect... It used to be like that on IE6, but apparently newer browsers "broke" it, so this is probably just using a variation that works on newer browsers.

Oh, and another IE6-issue: The resizable post box stretches perpetually right after you start typing, and resetting it by resizing it is lost as soon as you type again.(update: It *does* wrap, but at full page-width rather than at the edge of the window. Since there is an unused border on the left, part of it is off-screen)

Ah, and to continue the pattern of increasingly irrelevant and less-annoying issues:

Icon alignment.

And finally, a barely mentionably broken thing:
Repeated menu bar end image:

Oh, and I'll add my 'voice' to the old smilies movement.

Most or all of these are probably simply because the new layout was a bit ambitious, and can be fixed by simply extending the range of what darkling alters(especially the smilies), if I understand how it works.

If the internet keeps upgrading, maybe I should *downgrade* to telnet and notepad... At least then I don't have to worry about seeing the smilies...
(For future generations: these: )
Eh?
Eh!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2010, 06:06:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hidden within this screenshot is the answer to all your problems.

edit: oh, looks like I shouldn't bother.  Consider this yet another of the downsides to using a 9-year-old browser.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 06:11:39 pm by Footkerchief »

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2010, 06:07:57 pm »

IE6? Seriously? ???

You should be quite used to webpages looking like crap if you're still using IE6. ;D

EDIT:
Seriously, if not Firefox, or Google Chrome, or Opera, or Safari, or IE8... at least upgrade to IE7.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 06:09:31 pm by Janus »
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2010, 06:11:55 pm »

IE6? Seriously? ???

You should be quite used to webpages looking like crap if you're still using IE6. ;D

Yes, but never before was it Bay12. It was always *other* pages, and never *this* site. :'( (I prefer the old version, don't you? And those don't vary between browsers either.)
Eh?
Eh!

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2010, 06:17:54 pm »

:'( (I prefer the old version, don't you? And those don't vary between browsers either.)

Yeah, new smileys are quite likely. I don't like the old defaults or the new defaults. Perhaps some bearded dwarf ones if Mike Mayday indeed makes them, but even if not there are better ones out there.
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2010, 06:28:25 pm »

Custom emotes please.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2010, 07:17:21 pm »

My avatar doesn't show up at the top in the darkling theme, at least for me. Also, the page icon isn't the little twelve anymore.
Also, I second (three-hundred and twelve?) the old emotes coming back.

It does seem faster, though.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2010, 07:20:39 pm »

Add my vote for the Dwarf inspired icons... if you're going to use forum software, at least make it your own.   :D
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2010, 07:46:16 pm »

I changed over to the darkling layout and it certainly looks better.

Some font stuff is still a bit small though.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2010, 08:29:07 pm »

My avatar doesn't show up at the top in the darkling theme, at least for me.

Others have mentioned this. I haven't said anything before, but it's actually intentional. Why do you need to have your avatar displayed up there, wasting vertical space? Just in case you forget what account you're logged in as (:P), or what? I saw no purpose in it whatsoever, so I had the theme not display it. If for some weird reason enough people wanted it back, it could be added back quite easily. But why?

Also, the page icon isn't the little twelve anymore.

Mentioned several times by others; the favicon file simply needs to be transferred over from the other server, which will be simple.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2010, 08:43:37 pm »

The top profile icon can stay away as far as I'm concerned.  I even use ad-block to block the title image... but that's just me.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2010, 08:54:32 pm »

Just in case you forget what account you're logged in as (:P), or what? I saw no purpose in it whatsoever, so I had the theme not display it. If for some weird reason enough people wanted it back, it could be added back quite easily. But why?

I like it and don't really feel the need to rationalize it.  If you don't like it, can't you make an alternate theme for yourself?

Also, are font sizes getting changed back?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2010, 09:02:07 pm »

I liked the old smilies, myself, but otherwise this new system is just ducky!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2010, 09:03:21 pm »

I really don't like the new smileys -- they're too... I dunno. Shiny, maybe that's what's wrong with them.

Then again, I really didn't like the old smileys either, so I guess the only real complaint I have is that the "new" widgets by threads with unread posts blend too much in with the rest of the boards. They should be more noticeable, like the old blue ones.

And yeah, I also miss that avatar being up at the top by the News section. I wouldn't mind if that went back there.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17