Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Make dwarves take up a family name when married....  (Read 3875 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Make dwarves take up a family name when married....
« on: March 25, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

If a FAMILY all had the same last name it would be cool.  I guess along the paternal line when married...
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Make dwarves take up a family name when married....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

I second this. I already assign nicknames to my families to kkep track of them.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

I think it's in the plans, but I think we will have to wait for the Life Cycle Arc. It would be good to have it before, though.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »

I'm sure this is in to do, somewhere. I'd personally like to see it done soon, if it's not too difficult. Perhaps there could be [PATRALINEAR] [MATRALINEAR] [AMBILINEAR] [NONLINEAR] [CULTRILINEAR] tags, for races that inherit names from a specific parent, from either parent randomly, that don't inherit names at all, or ones that have one pattern or annother throughout the civ, but can have variations between civs.

Of course, for the time being, all your immigrants would still have individual names, as they pop up out of the ground instead of having parents. It'd be worth it just to see the names passed down in the legends screen and history file, though.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »

Tags like [SURNAME_FIRST] and [SURNAME_LAST] would be good too.  We have been assuming that a dwarf's last name is his family name, but they could have their family name first like Chinese names.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 02:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Crafty Barnardo:
<STRONG>but they could have their family name first like Chinese names.</STRONG>

Which does nothing but confuse Americans.  "Cho?  But he's Cho, you can't both be Cho."

briktal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

The current problem with this right now is that dwarf civs (for example) would have at most 10 different surnames (not counting the fortress mode immigrants who appear out of thin air) since they would all be decended from the intial 10 families.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

I agree, Family names would be great.   Though I wonder if that "10 families" thing is true.   I'm sure in the Life Cycle arc when that is put in... there will be family names that died, and people with the same last name, but aren't related (Like if there was a common dwarven last name)  And others that started out low and became names of Honor (Mmm World-Gen wars and fights)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 01:48:00 pm »

For the sake of variety, if major events could change the ages, perhaps a major event could inspire a dwarf to change his family name? i.e. Moldath McCheese slays a dragon and change his name to Moldath DragonBloody (or whatever).

[ March 26, 2008: Message edited by: Untelligent ]

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 04:11:00 pm »

Anyone that kills enough historical figures already gains additional names.  That'd be enough to add in some new families to the mix... ESPECIALLY when wars are implemented in the worldgen.  After a major battle, half the army will have new names!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

Which does nothing but confuse Americans.  "Cho?  But he's Cho, you can't both be Cho."</STRONG>

Those aren't Americans (generalized), those are rednecks (specified). We are a melting pot: Some folks have their family names first here too. Some unmarried* folks have the same family name as their lovers. To continue the melting pot analogy, in smelting we call this slag.

*edited to make sense

[ March 26, 2008: Message edited by: Othob Rithol ]

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 09:01:00 pm »

We all know that Dwarves put great pride in their names and their heritage. A dwarf's full name is:

"Urak Muttleshnuck, son of Urkist Heedbrittle the Giantkiller, son of Glein Markdunkel, son of Kain Dirkshneider the Mastersmith of Constipated Pass, son of Melkor Sunderkopgen, King of the Gloomy Harrows".

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 11:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Othob Rithol:
<STRONG>Those aren't Americans (generalized), those are rednecks (specified). We are a melting pot: Some folks have their family names first here too. Some unmarried* folks have the same family name as their lovers. To continue the melting pot analogy, in smelting we call this slag.</STRONG>

While true, I was being humorous.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 10:46:58 am »

Although it may have to wait for the life cycle arc, I'd like some sort of init option for naming.  Something along the lines of [PATRILINEAR] [MATRILINEAR] and [RANDOM] would be fine for now, for the name inheritance.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 11:59:36 am »

It's a nice idea, insofar as it's much easier for players to get a good idea of how dwarves are related.

However, surnames for each civ should be spawned randomly at birth until it hits a certain number, so we can have a good variety. Ideally, the initial random surnames will one day be meaningful instead of random -- a profession, a famous act, a heraldic symbol, a totem creature, etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3