Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Use this thread to intruduce yourself!  (Read 5548 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Use this thread to intruduce yourself!
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2010, 08:23:49 am »

I first started "using" at the age of about 5 or 6. An Apple ][. Not a ][c, or a ][e, I'm talking 'bout a muthaf**kin' straight-up ][. We had 40x40 resolution with 16 colors up in this bitch. I had the mad sniper skillz hunting buffalo in Oregon Trail.

And once I learned the LIST, PRINT and GOTO commands (especially LIST), I became a god among mortals. Then at some point I made the jump to IBMs, and fell like Icarus from the heavens.

Now, strangely enough, my wife has to prod me to teach my daughter how to use a computer. I dunno if I'm subconsciously trying to shield her from the kind of geekery that I ended up in, or if I just can't stand sitting there trying to walk her through learning how to mouse-click on a Disney browser game when I could be playing Left4Dead. Probably the latter.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2010, 08:27:25 am »

wait, how old is she? if she's young enough, you can get her one of those baby-type games where they just press buttons on the keyboard and random images and sounds come out.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2010, 09:03:01 am »

She's 3. Yeah, we bought one of those "laptops" for small children that's supposed to just introduce the to the idea of typing and action/response, but she wasn't terribly interested (can't blame her...monochrome LCD screen and crappy speaker).

She likes watching us play Peggle, but hasn't shown much of an interest in actually playing any games herself. I wonder sometimes how 50% of this child's genetic material is mine and her not be a gamer.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2010, 09:10:55 am »

well, not necessarily on a kid's laptop, my little sister (who is currently four) had (and still has) a windows. colors and everything. there was this CD or something, and the game was simply called "baby type". she LOVED it. might wanna look into it.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2010, 09:49:28 am »

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and faith

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name

Someone had to do it :-[
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2010, 12:44:09 pm »

I think I'm one of the few (or many, I dunno) people that have been on this site for a decent amount of time, and just popped into existence sans introduction. Let's make up for that:

I'm an oddball person which tends to take an interest in all sorts of random things and have a random skillset (average at worst for enough of them) and am a pretty rapid learner. I take no interest in working for a sort of corporate or high-class business (they pay well, I know, but at what cost?). A freelance Swiss-Army Knife, so to put it.

I'm what you would call a brilliant but lazy individual; also a reason I take no interest in high-class work environments. Basically, I get the most education and come up with my best work mostly out of boredom. I also have more experience in different things than I let on if you were to meet me in person. Always a common mistake people make with me is that they underestimate me. I am New York born, and come mostly from Irish descent. That should provide a bit more insight to my personality.

Oh, and you think Dwarfguy2 was young in his introduction to computers? I learned how to operate a Commodore 64 at age 2 (kudos to my brothers for providing some awesome games as well; along with the Compute's Gazette game disk packages), and 386 computers at age 4-6 (whenever they came out). Hell, I was learning how to play games and operate DOS before my brothers finished reading the manuals (I still play games without reading manuals first, and I learn damn-quickly. Hell, I went from easier to medium difficulty with DJ Hero in the same hour of playing it (brand new to it, mind you), and it took me no more than 5 songs to get the hang of the game/controller.); but where I got the quickest progress in learning was, of course, with games. Hell, one time in Elementary School while computers were "exclusively for nerds", of all the kids in the school, I, in 1st grade I think, was the only kid in the entire school that knew how to operate DOS and boot up some of the programs some of the other kids wanted to use in the school library that required knowing how to operate a CD-Rom (and one of those really old ones that required an external case to use the CD). How my respect levels plummeted throughout the school years at that time happened, I don't know.

But anyway, that little story ought to provide some evidence that younger crowds operating computers is not too rare these days; then again, I think I understand the concerns of everyone else. There's just so much you can do during certain ages (don't want to grow up too fast); I think our main concerns is try to enjoy your age cluster with all the outdoor activities and such before you get sick of mankind and burrow yourself in your personal cave like some of us have. Live life before you give up on it, is an old saying of mine.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:47:18 pm by Itnetlolor »

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2010, 01:07:16 pm »

Wait, we have nine-year-olds playing DF?

I don't know if my hope for humanity shall be increased or decreased. On one hand, we have people smart enough to play DF before their age enters double digits, on the other hand, we have kids who mostly sit in front of their computers before their age enters double digits.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2010, 01:29:50 pm »

I have a bias against brillant but lazy archetypes!  :anger:
Spoiler: dont read this (click to show/hide)
We had one of those people in my shop class Freshmen and Sophomore year and he was an asshole and got kicked out before Junior year.

Anyway, most people here obviously used computers at a young age, I mean really, this is Bay12 forums.  I can't watch TV anymore, it's impossible.  The only other thing I do for entertainment besides internet is reading junk if it isn't online, heh.  I only go out when I have to do something, like work.  I had this last week off though so it's awesome.  Back to shop Monday, not a problem for me because I DID ALL MY WORK.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2010, 02:10:51 pm »

actually, i am lazy.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2010, 03:14:36 pm »

actually, i am lazy.

Talking to Itnet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2010, 03:29:58 pm »

I'm lazy too. Common personality flaw of people who can breeze through their early years on strength of intellect alone.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2010, 03:31:52 pm »

also, the fact that i started actually learning stuff (not like what is was in kindergarten) earlier due to homeschool may have helped.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2010, 03:36:17 pm »

You guys are so gifted and smart you don't have to work!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2010, 03:39:28 pm »

nevermind, i just made myself look stupid. their is no post.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2010, 01:01:13 pm »

You guys are so gifted and smart you don't have to work!
I wish  ::)

Otherwise, ditto to everything Redking said, except that mine is 1.7 yrs and likes hitting the buttons with babygames so hard that I fear for my baby-laptop's health. I just might buy a heavy-duty keyboard just for her...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5