Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The volcano! It's coming for us! [now! with awesome pictures!]  (Read 3410 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: The volcano! It's coming for us! [now! with awesome pictures!]
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2010, 05:33:14 pm »

That's the Dutch allright, never pass an opportunity to make money of another mans' misery  ;D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2010, 07:01:23 pm »

Guess what? IT HAPPENED AGAIN.

THERE'S ANOTHER GIANT CLOUD OF DEATH ON IT'S WAY.

Oh, and the Uk has sent the Royal Navy to pick up stranded tourists in Spain.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2010, 07:22:56 pm »

Leave it to Her Majesty to call in the navy for adverse weather.  ::)
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2010, 07:29:57 pm »

Eh?

No, these people are sleeping in airports and hotel lobbies because they've been kicked out of their rooms. They can't get home because the ash cloud would rip the planes engine to hell.

The Queen had nothing to do with sending the navy.

In short zChris. Shut up. You're not as smart or funny as you think you are.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2010, 07:38:24 pm »

The Queen is pretty much a representative of the entire UK government as the [now ornamental] figurehead or monarch of the UK. Also, that was a clever and witty joke, you're just too pessimistic and/or cynical to be affected by it.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2010, 02:31:03 am »

That was quite the English joke indeed, Akigagak.

In other news: My boss is still stuck in NY. Maybe I'll just go home ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2010, 02:56:48 pm »

Guess what? IT HAPPENED AGAIN.

THERE'S ANOTHER GIANT CLOUD OF DEATH ON IT'S WAY.

Is this  true

I almost hope it is and my flight via Germany is cancelled so I can get a free refund on it and get a direct flight to Amman instead
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2010, 03:26:23 pm »

Well, that's what I heard on BBC radio. But then it just turned out that the weather had changed and pushed some more ash in the UKs direction.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2010, 03:29:52 pm »

Volcanic ash/dust will strip the paint off your car.  I wouldn't breathe it.

Also, apparently Europe has forgotten about trains and stuff.  It's like when cell phones lose their signal and everyone forgets that there are other ways to communicate.
Shoes...

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2010, 08:29:11 pm »

They are putting people on trains, but I think the volume is still too much to handle, plus there are people flying to places outside Europe...ain't no train from London to New York, as awesome as that would be.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2010, 09:51:12 pm »

They are putting people on trains, but I think the volume is still too much to handle, plus there are people flying to places outside Europe...ain't no train from London to New York, as awesome as that would be.
And then, in the nick of time, a TBM breaks into the British countryside with waves of offensive New Yorker stereotypes flooding out to complete the project.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2010, 05:17:36 am »

Also, apparently Europe has forgotten about trains and stuff.  It's like when cell phones lose their signal and everyone forgets that there are other ways to communicate.
When it comes to physical transportation of goods or people Within 'mainland Europe' (as often known up here on these 'ere British Isles of ours[1]) that's Ok (if it weren't for the train strike the French are suffering, and general clogging of arteries) but travel between various islands dotted around the place is having to fall back upon the non-aerial transport systems.  Of course, this does include train betwixt UK and France, but with the Chunnel overloaded as well as the usual ferry system[2][3], and London (/the UK in general) having become a major stepping-stone in transatlantic flights.

You need to understand that the British newspaper headline of times past along the lines of "heavy fog in Channel, continent isolated" may be an insular way (figuratively and literally) of describing the situation, but is at least accurate in magnitude, if not polarity. :)

[1] Give or take Eire, and though I'm sure the terminology also holds (even more so!) on l'Isle Manche :)

[2] Which might well have been down-sized since the opening of the Chunnel, as I know the RORO hovercraft service has since been retired and is no longer capable of being brought into operation...  Pity, I could imagine the news clip of that coming to the rescue with Ride Of The Valkaries playing over the top.

[3] Could have been worse.  Earlier this year snow caused almost total failure of the TML and the weather at sea sometimes becomes so rough that ferries in transit can't safely get into their destination ports and reportedly sit outside for up to a day, if not diverted all the round to Spain.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2010, 11:38:25 am »

Personally I think the train and ferry companies of Europe caused this volcano to happen. I mean theres theories that the dying banks of iceland wanted their ashes to be spread across europe, but it makes more sense that it was a sacrifice to the train/ferry god that caused it.

The train/ferry/taxi/road companies and things have had seriously huge profits because of this. They're all so happy :D

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2010, 03:59:48 pm »

It rained today. Now everything is grimy with black dust.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2010, 03:40:37 pm »

Nice visualisation of the effect of the cloud on our airspace...

http://vimeo.com/11205494

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]