Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The volcano! It's coming for us! [now! with awesome pictures!]  (Read 3407 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The volcano! It's coming for us!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 02:01:35 pm »

I think you just wrote a syfy original movie. Throw in some D-list actors and about 20 quids worth of SFX and you're made in the shade.

I just caught this on the BBC volcano live feed:
1900 A group of scientists are on their way towards the volcanic ash cloud on a specially designed plane as part of an attempt to collect some samples. They want to gather data which will help them find out more about the environmental impact.

Act 2 ready!

I also learned from that live feed that the name of the UK Transport Secretary is Lord Adonis.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 02:07:20 pm »

This is the pinnacle of Man.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 02:19:58 pm »

Sorry for the dust, we're doing some spring cleaning.

But here's a fun fact for you: Every time Eyjafjallajökull erupts, Katla follows. And Katla is an even more powerful volcano. Mind you, it might be a year or two between the respective eruptions, but they're in quick succession in geological terms.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 02:24:48 pm »

Meh, as long as the wind points away from here, we'll be fine :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 03:11:19 pm »

Quick, everyone blow really hard towards America.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Javewa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 04:09:37 pm »

The eruption is actually a good thing. Well, except if you're an Icelander or want to travel to/from/within Europe this weekend. The dust particles in the atmosphere will cool the planet for a good two years in which you can take a breath from caring about global warming. No more guilty consciousness from running that 10 TeraFLOPS HPC in your basement for DF.

We need to mandate more volcanic eruptions! Alternatively, a small nuclear war (Pakistan vs. India will do nicely) will solve global warming for a decade or so.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_rain
We need this in DF... but more literal... :)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 04:48:25 pm »

The eruption is actually a good thing. Well, except if you're an Icelander or want to travel to/from/within Europe this weekend. The dust particles in the atmosphere will cool the planet for a good two years in which you can take a breath from caring about global warming. No more guilty consciousness from running that 10 TeraFLOPS HPC in your basement for DF.

We need to mandate more volcanic eruptions! Alternatively, a small nuclear war (Pakistan vs. India will do nicely) will solve global warming for a decade or so.

From reading the wiki page you linked:
Today, the dominant theories are that the rain is caused by red dust dissolved in the water, or to the presence of micro-organisms.
Ok, typical odd weather sort of thing...
Alternative explanations include sunspots and aurorae, and in the case of the red rain in Kerala in 2001, dust from meteorites and extraterrestrial cells in the water.
Woah. Back up a minute.
extraterrestrial cells in the water
Put this in DF. Now. Extraterrestrial dorf plagues from it raining? Hellz ya.

Volcanic ash is basically tiny little obsidian razorblades, and flying through even a thin haze is like getting the plane sandblasted.
Also makes for Fun breathing! Remember Europeans, with every breath you take you are slowly shredding the insides of your lungs.  ;)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 04:54:56 pm »

Oh dear god, Scotland was so nice last weekend! I don't want the bad weather! KEEP IT AWAAAAY!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 04:58:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The cloud of ash and death is around 20,000 feet above the ground. If you're breathing outside without an oxygen supply at that height you've got other things to worry about.

And why the hell are you talking about blood rain?

@Nilocy: Scotland had nice weather? Huh. Well, Jersey did get snow last winter, so I suppose that balances it out.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 05:14:57 pm »

Also makes for Fun breathing! Remember Europeans, with every breath you take you are slowly shredding the insides of your lungs.  ;)
I already pay a lot of money for that...

(goes outside for a cigarette with obsidian-flavour)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 05:34:50 pm »

Bad for our air traffic, though...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 08:27:41 pm »

On the OTHER hand, volcanic gasses have a tendency to be of the greenhouse variety, if I recall correctly, so the ones what aren't heavier than air are gonna cause some problems. I forget how it all tends to balance out, though, so maybe you're right in the end.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 03:22:58 am »

It's definitely colder today, but there's also clouds, so that might be the cause. Planes are still stranded. My boss is in NY this week, and probably can't come back for a while  :D

I'm not sure what the albedo-value of volcanic ash is. It may absorb the heat at a higher altitude, warming up the upper layers of the atmosphere, which would screw with climate as well, even though it's not noticable on the ground yet.

Also: http://www.thebrusselsjungle.com/2010/04/eyjafjallajokull-it-means-revenge-in-iceland/

Looking at pictures, we had some amazing sunsets, and for a change: No contrails in the sky. They're so common it's weird not to see them...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:43:20 am by Siquo »

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 07:39:22 am »

This is awesome my parents are stuck in Spain.
Think I'll organize a party at my sandstone bbq.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 07:42:55 am »

oh no we wont be able to import vegetables for two days !

if man was ment to fly natural selection would have given him wings
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4