Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 33873 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #450 on: August 31, 2011, 04:01:58 am »

Honestly? I think they thought they could get away with it because this kind of stuff happens a lot with remakes. OpenTTD is a good example where they redid all the graphics to be truly "open" yet it still looks very similar to the original. (To the point where I honestly couldn't tell you which was which if you put them side by side. Although I'm sure some people could.)

In fact, a lot of these types of projects are unofficially sanctioned or at least ignored by the copyright holders.

Go check out DaggerXL. He mentioned he asked Bethesda about their stance on it. They didn't give him anything official to go with, but with a sort of "wink and nod" type attitude he got from them, he felt safe enough to continue.

Maybe they did it wrong. Maybe they have reason to be scared, but there is precedent out there which suggests that sometimes, at least, this kind of stuff can be pulled off without any legal trouble.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 31, 2011, 09:29:48 am »

Really seems to depend on the holder of the rights, one one side theres OpenTTD and DaggerXL, and on the other side is the dead Chrono Trigger Remake Project.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 31, 2011, 10:17:24 am »

What was the last version that was released?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:42 am »

The biggest issue with these things seems to be graphical assets. You can make fresh new ones, but if you're basically tracing your interface. It's a big no-no.
However, there seems to be a big loophole where you can use the graphical assets of the game itself if you require them to own the game, and there's nothing stopping you from adding new ones. I think that shifts it under the "mod" category or something.

But I dunno, the legal issues surrounding these things tend to be a headache.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 31, 2011, 01:25:35 pm »

Sadly, "We re-drew the original graphics at higher res" is one of their big selling points.  It's kind of like saying "Looks identical to a Ferrari and is faster".  People who like Ferraris might be happy.  The company, not so much.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 01, 2011, 05:54:28 am »

well, yes. they should not change gameplay, but GRAPHICS. why? because the people won't care so much about the gameplay as they will about the graphics. okay, maybe the copyright owner was a little harsh (it's a VERY OLD GAME, but people still seem to buy it. (to acctually play the first 2, i had to get the floppy disks to an expert, and he changed them to a CD, but i still had to use dosbox.))

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 01, 2011, 08:58:18 am »

well, yes. they should not change gameplay, but GRAPHICS. why? because the people won't care so much about the gameplay as they will about the graphics. okay, maybe the copyright owner was a little harsh (it's a VERY OLD GAME, but people still seem to buy it. (to acctually play the first 2, i had to get the floppy disks to an expert, and he changed them to a CD, but i still had to use dosbox.))

You do know that the game is sold on steam AND was available on disks with compilations?

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #457 on: September 01, 2011, 10:36:39 am »

Seems to be a little complicated overall, while Two Sides in itself isn't illegal since it's a fanmade non-profit remake with multiplayer feature (like the Zod Engine). The fact that most of the developers working on it are also involved in other games which they hope to sell as their own thing may lead to some 'legal iffyness' because it would potentially mean Two Sides becomes free promotion.

As an example, how often have you seen the phrase, "From the makers of X" in a movie trailer? That's the hurdle here. So rather than facing a possible cease and desist order, they've pre-emptively pulled the plug on the project.

Alternatively they can just make it opensource, but they really don't want to. So that's the end of that.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 01, 2011, 01:18:27 pm »

that's one of the options they are pondering at the moment, actually. The others being remaking all images and stuff, and removing all images and stuff and make it access the original data files, which would be provided by the player.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 01, 2011, 01:24:04 pm »

Making it like Dune Legacy might work: The game is free, but it requires [original_art.bmp/.jpg/.png./gif/etc files] to play.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 01, 2011, 01:42:27 pm »

You do know that the game is sold on steam AND was available on disks with compilations?

why buy something that you already own? i HAVE the floppy disks of the originals, and have bought the 3rd one.

trust me, when my parents picked up UFO 1 & 2 from the discount bin, they bought the right to play. and i own that right, so i do not see the point in buying what i already have.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 08, 2011, 06:30:01 am »

why buy something that you already own? i HAVE the floppy disks of the originals, and have bought the 3rd one.

trust me, when my parents picked up UFO 1 & 2 from the discount bin, they bought the right to play. and i own that right, so i do not see the point in buying what i already have.

So, you've never bought a vhs then a dvd of the same movie?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #462 on: October 08, 2011, 11:58:23 am »

So, you've never bought a vhs then a dvd of the same movie?
People still buy VHS?

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 08, 2011, 12:27:53 pm »

No but have bought one in the past. I've got the Lion King on both VHS and DVD, because I don't have a VHS player anymore.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 08, 2011, 07:03:56 pm »

No but have bought one in the past. I've got the Lion King on both VHS and DVD, because I don't have a VHS player anymore.

This was my point.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32