Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 33866 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #435 on: August 27, 2011, 10:52:22 am »

Apocalype wasn't a original game with a X-Com stamp, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 27, 2011, 11:07:39 am »

I understand changing up the aliens, figuring out a new enemy should be part of a game with xcom in the title.  What the other games had were aliens that were all hands down iconic, from greys to lobstermen to something from the movie 'alien'.  Even apocalypse had facehuggers and intelligent bacteria, and although it was a new enemy, the setting was rooted in a world devasted by the previous alien encounters.

I just did not get that feeling from what I've seen so far.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 27, 2011, 12:12:17 pm »

I like how when everyone hates on this games aliens, they don't hate on X-com apocalypse or even mention it's aliens being completely NEW, that isn't even related to the old games ones by any measure.

please. X-com: apocalypse was an X-com game. it was everything that an X-com game should be, with extra cherries on top. and aliens were NEW, but they had their own stamp, their mark etc. these just look like someone took the husk, gave him some fancy stuff to wear and a laser rifle.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 27, 2011, 10:07:20 pm »

I like how when everyone hates on this games aliens, they don't hate on X-com apocalypse or even mention it's aliens being completely NEW, that isn't even related to the old games ones by any measure.

Also, why are everyone just wanting the first games characters? Tentuclats were far scarier than Chryssalids and much more cool looking! (I'm sorry, but those..teeth, the chryssalid looks a bit to happy for someone who's goal is to impregnate people.. Or that makes it creepier, unsure.

Because TFTD would often have you pulling your hair out at times so there may not be as many good memories as with the original. The original was at least moderately fair while TFTD would hand your balls on a platter without mercy.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 28, 2011, 01:43:04 am »

Also, why are everyone just wanting the first games characters?
here's the fact: 2nd game was UNDERWATER. is this game UNDERWATER? no. also, it is not set in the near future. so, no Apocalypse aliens for you.

also, the game being in the early 60's, the grays, and most of the aliens from the first X-COM would fit it waaaaaayyyy better. because the pulp science fiction from that era waas full of 'em.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 28, 2011, 07:24:56 am »

TFTD had land missions too, but he has a point, it was mostly underwater.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 29, 2011, 11:04:57 pm »

For the true X-COM aficionado ( or curious, like me) might I recommend:

UFO: The Two Sides:

A fan-made revamp of the classic series. Improved graphics and tweaks as well as a campaign option where you play as the aliens.
Sadly due to 2k licensing FUN it is currently stalled at .99 Beta... and I just learned about it too...

http://ufotts.ninex.info/

Xenonauts:

Like X-COM but set in the 1970's, a self described 'planetary defense simulator'. Heavily inspired by X-COM it adds psy-tech that is researchable by humans as well as HD graphics and, unlike its predecessor, tactical air combat. The success or failure (such as killing of civilians) will apparently play a role as well. With a poorly run agency possibly fighting with mistrustful governments as well as aliens.

http://www.xenonauts.com/

Xenowar:

Open source, 3D tactical "alien blaster" heavily inspired by X-COM. It works on Windows or Android.

http://xenowar.net/index.html

OpenXcom:

Fan-made revival of the first game with the ability to tweak settings (such as item/soldier caps and actual difficulty) along with fixes to memory errors and other glitches. Currently working over the basics such as the combat theater and alien AI.

http://openxcom.org/

These games show promise and clearly are made with the intention of keeping X-COM what it originally was. I'm okay with genre changes for games as long as it makes sense and is well implemented. I do not see anything particularly exciting about the new game... being as I had never heard of X-COM before it came out... it look generic and seems a bit silly to have a three man team that can fight off waves of "unstoppable" aliens. I wish less games were about being a bullet-resistant tank and more about being a vulnerable fleshbag.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 29, 2011, 11:08:33 pm »

Retail X-com derivative UFO: Extraterrestrials is getting a sequel now, apperently, interestingly timed.. http://www.ufo2extraterrestrials.com/

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 29, 2011, 11:24:10 pm »

Already herd of both Two Sides and Xenonauts, both look good.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 30, 2011, 12:47:04 am »

Bad news about The Two Sides:

On Development
by NeFuRii at 22:16:05
It took me some time to write this news. Unfortunetly we are bringing UFO:TTS downloads down and stoping the development. It’s not because we don’t have the time, or that we got bored. Reason is simpler – legality issues. When we started the project we weren’t as concerned about this as we are now. We believed that if we are doing everything from zero and doing it for free – we are doing it legally. Turns out its more complicated than that. All the material that we studied on the internet points towards a simple fact that even things like ‘look and feel’ of any game can be considered intelectual property of their authors. As to the future of the game and the site… it remains open for discussion. The site will most likely remain operative. As to the game itself – we don’t know yet.

You can visit our forum for discussion.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 30, 2011, 12:52:31 am »

So they're stopping because it looks and feels somewhat like what they we're seeming to aim for?
I understand it, but it still seems rather silly with all of the others that are non-free not stopping.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 30, 2011, 01:07:43 am »

Everything I've heard said that as long as you're not using content from a game, and as long as you're not doing it for profit, you can rip off games as much as you like. You can even brand it "x-com something or other." Although actually, I'm not to sure about that last point.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 30, 2011, 01:44:43 am »

well, fuck it. ooh. sorry. my bad. should not swear, i know.

but there goes my favorite X-Com fan reboot.

so i'm stuck on playing the first two games via dosbox until Xenonauts come out. or the new one.

or, maybe i'll play UFO: Aftermath, and UFO: Aftershock.

they're both spiritual succsesors to X-com (known in Europe as UFO, wich explains the title), buggy, but major ones have been eradicated ages ago, and really, really fun. google them sometime, maybe you'll like them.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 30, 2011, 06:20:33 am »

Aww I had just started taking another look at the two sides myself, it was one of the better ones.  All that work they put into remaking xcom for free when they could have kept the gameplay and made a few bucks for themselves.  That was honestly the one I was most excited about, even though the multiplayer balance seemed to actually make it harder for the humans, haha.

Like many people I'm curious about Xenonauts too.  The two UFO's didn't really grab my attention though, but I was too busy playing the originals and other games.

I wonder if Xenowar would run on the Nook?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 31, 2011, 03:24:22 am »

Dude, the "look and feel" of The Two Sides was plagiarism, clear and simple.  So what if they traced the assets onto new graphics by hand, it's the same goddamn thing.  Remember how they told you in middle school, "You can't copy the encyclopedia line-for-line, and you can't even just rephrase the sentences while keeping the basic structure and information the same, you have to make your own composition from scratch"?  This is that.

And yeah, plagiarism isn't a legal definition.  But if you took a layperson (or even a gamer who has seen X-Com but never really got into it) and showed them TTS alongside UFO, don't you think they might figure it's the same thing?  I don't mean similar in concept, I mean ACTUAL SAME THING?  The TTS graphics are essentially higher-resolution copies of the original graphics.  The Skyranger is seriously the same craft, except it has a side door.  If I sit across the room and look at those screenshots, I can't even tell it isn't UFO, and I've put a lot of hours into it.  (Yeah, I know I need new glasses, but come on.)

So...they copied it.  It is a clear and simple derivative work.  Copyright is literally the ability to say "I don't want you copying or deriving from my stuff".  Not quite sure how they thought they would get away with it.

As for the gameplay, that's a lot more nebulous, but when your graphics are this much of a ripoff who even cares?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32