Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Campaign to Arrest the Pope over Child Abuse  (Read 30571 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign to Arrest the Pope over Child Abuse
« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2010, 07:19:52 pm »

To clarify. I believe that, over the course of a few hundred, maybe thousand years, there was some serious flooding all over the world, more than there usually is, because of shifting water levels all over the world thanks to ice-caps melting. The story of Noah's Ark is, in my opinion, one such flooding, that did not cover the whole world but just most of the area where ever Noah was, I forget where. As for the Aboriginal oral traditions, I guess you can't verify it. It was an interesting bit of information though, which is really the only reason I brought all this up. I don't know if I'm right and I guess I can't prove it. But it's interesting to think about.

And yeah, your history professor is a crock of shit.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 23, 2010, 07:20:57 pm »

On the other hand, I had a World History professor, y'know a college professor of History, who believed in the literal truth of the Noah's Ark story.  Actually truly believed that some time around 4000 B.C. the entire planet flooded at once, and only a smattering of humanity and land animals survived.  College professor of world history.  Yeeeaaah.

See, here's the funny part. My country is predominantly Roman Catholic / Muslim, yet no one takes the YEC theories seriously. Everyone's cool with the age of the earth. (except the Korean Baptists... They're hardline.)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 23, 2010, 07:22:43 pm »

I think you're giving ancient herdsmen an awful lot of credit for a notion of humans being made of the same matter as the Earth that's both so generic as to be meaningless, and a logical jump that's present in almost every creation myth in the world.

At the same time, the term "from the dust of the earth" is used. Not "from nothing" or "from God's breath" but from the dust of the earth. Whether or not it's intentional, it's still saying that the same materials that went into the ground can be found in the body. Now I'll give it's still somewhat generic, but for a millenia year old story, it's closer to the truth than most would care to admit, whether or not it's by accident.

Quote from: Aqizzar
I really don't want to sound insulting, but you've fallen into the same trap as so many other people who think divine creation is somehow more "provable" than random creation.  The evidence doesn't make sense to you, because you're not very familiar with the evidence, you're not seeing patterns where they are and seeing patterns where they're not, completely ignoring the very important fact that the fossil record is simultaneously gigantic and incredibly sparse because that's just how fossils work, and frankly you don't really seem to understand what the scientific process means.
A bit assish. Just saying. But what are these patterns, then? And for that matter, it feels like a bit of an excuse that you can dismiss problems in the fossil record with "that's how fossils work". At the very least, an attempt could be made to explain, instead of just handwaving it.

Quote from: Aqizzar
You're compressing to whole of hundreds of millions of years of geological movement and the crap-shoot process of preservation into a storybook timeline of the Earth.  The timeline of fossil evolution doesn't jump around, your incomplete perception of it does.  There aren't an abundance of blue-light stars; blue light propagates better, and travels through the atmosphere, which is why the human eyeball isn't the preferred tool of astronomy.  Your concepts about gradual evolution leaving problematic holes at cross-over points is a valid question, but it's not so stumping as you think it is: bats transitioned from shrews though a stage not unlike flying squirrels, they just got lighter and more muscular, because once random evolution finds an unexploited niche, selection pressure-relief causes it to fill that very fast (in the timescale of evolution).  Like I said, I really don't want to sound like an ass, but your arguments are either drawn from somebody else's very slanted presentation of reality, or the result of a tremendous lack of research.

I'll address the bolded ones in order.

1. I am well aware that blue light is very all-consuming. Within the atmosphere. That does not explain the multitudes we see from shots outside of the atmosphere. And I do not mean stars that appear blue from here on earth. I mean stars that, when you get up close, are blue and EXTREMELY hot.

2. I'm not following how this works. The way a flying squirrel flies and the way a bat flies are very different. The flying squirrel, if I recall, has flaps essentially under its arms that it uses to glide. The bat has extended fingers with membranes that make a wing. I don't see how a squirrel could go to a bat, as even though it can glide in its own way, a flying squirrel still needs its hands/paws to assist in eating.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 23, 2010, 07:24:33 pm »

Shut up. All of you. It's a pointless argument about things you'll never agree on and, in the end, everyone will just be angry.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 23, 2010, 07:25:58 pm »

True. I'm trying to be civil with those who aren't Pathos, though.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2010, 07:27:25 pm »

I think you're giving ancient herdsmen an awful lot of credit for a notion of humans being made of the same matter as the Earth that's both so generic as to be meaningless, and a logical jump that's present in almost every creation myth in the world.

At the same time, the term "from the dust of the earth" is used. Not "from nothing" or "from God's breath" but from the dust of the earth. Whether or not it's intentional, it's still saying that the same materials that went into the ground can be found in the body. Now I'll give it's still somewhat generic, but for a millenia year old story, it's closer to the truth than most would care to admit, whether or not it's by accident.

Funny you mentioned that. Sure, the Bible claims we're made from the dust of the earth but it also specifically states that God did breath life into us. So whatever else we're made of, the Bible also states that we have the breath of God in us. We are, in part - according to the Bible - made "from God's breath."

And yeah, it is generic. It's very, very generic. Creation myths from all over the world claim that people were built from something, mud, earth, whatever. What makes you think it's not just that people just didn't have any idea about the difference from living and nonliving objects?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2010, 07:29:03 pm »

Funny you mentioned that. Sure, the Bible claims we're made from the dust of the earth but it also specifically states that God did breath life into us. So whatever else we're made of, the Bible also states that we have the breath of God in us. We are, in part - according to the Bible - made "from God's breath."

And yeah, it is generic. It's very, very generic. Creation myths from all over the world claim that people were built from something, mud, earth, whatever. What makes you think it's not just that people just didn't have any idea about the difference from living and nonliving objects?

Once again, true. It does say we were given life by God's breath. But at the same time, without something to spark life, whether it be chemicals or a deity, our bodies would just be piles of meat, water, and carbon, right?

It is generic, yet is also oddly specific.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2010, 07:30:32 pm »

Oh, no, I know about that. I just wanted to remind you that according to your beliefs, we are actually made from God's breath, if only in part.

As for oddly specific, you could claim that if the Bible said people were made out of stone or mud or water. It doesn't really matter that it's specific, when you think about it.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2010, 07:31:37 pm »

I can see the flying squirrel being at a midway point to true flight. (Aside from bats,) they would be a completely new niche, of course, until the hawks catch on.

Now if the monkeys who jumped tree to tree had adopted this a long time ago, well, we'd have another 'what if bears discovered fire' type thread
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Pathos

« Reply #204 on: April 23, 2010, 07:33:17 pm »

True. I'm trying to be civil with those who aren't Pathos, though.

Dude really pushes his agenda in every single thread that is even slightly related to religion, doesn't he?

CJ, you're a very bitter and conceited person, and I really hope that you learn that tolerance, research and examination of statements is the way forward.

That's all.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 23, 2010, 07:37:23 pm »

Oh knock it off, if you guys want to go at it, get on a group chat or something. Or have an AIM conference. Or punch it out and become bros or something. Although somewhat funny to watch objectively, you're just going to have a growing feud that we all have to deal with if this continues.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 23, 2010, 07:39:18 pm »

Well said. Take it to PMs and scream at each other from there, because saying 'that's all' sure as hell isn't going to stop an argument.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 23, 2010, 07:41:04 pm »

Actually, I've stopped directly addressing him. He's kind of like herpes. He never goes away, but I never stop wishing.

Pathos

« Reply #208 on: April 23, 2010, 07:41:43 pm »

Eh, CJ has pushed his agenda to derail the thread, insulted me and anyone else who shows the tiniest bit of knowledge on what the topic was originally about and refused ( or at least ignored my requests ) to stop derailing the topic or leave.

I'm fairly certain that's at least three or four forum "guidelines" broken.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 23, 2010, 07:42:51 pm »

Actually, I've stopped directly addressing him. He's kind of like herpes. He never goes away, but I never stop wishing.
Eh, CJ has pushed his agenda to derail the thread, insulted me and anyone else who shows the tiniest bit of knowledge on what the topic was originally about and refused ( or at least ignored my requests ) to stop derailing the topic or leave.

I'm fairly certain that's at least three or four forum "guidelines" broken.

See, this is what I'm talking about.

Guess how much I don't care. If you really want to insult each other, which you continue to do (the both of you, no matter what you want to claim), do it far away from us.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15