Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released  (Read 123833 times)

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released
« Reply #225 on: April 22, 2010, 06:20:34 pm »

I thought the fish bug and acid rain bug, which are both something wonky with worldgen, would take precedence to opengl... I mean, they did, but wasn't Toady gonna fix major bugs first and then do the merge? If we're all distracted with the military being stupid, doctors being incompetent, dwarven heads popping in the rain like overripe bearded melons, and the deadly carp just being plain absent then how can we properly break the opengl merge and make the bug tracker cry itself to sleep?

But no, seriously, I thought the opengl would happen after some of the more major bugfixes, especially things that were just added. Correct me if I'm wrong, though!
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2010, 06:46:48 pm »

Yep, I've been spoiled by the devlog and mantis changelog. Hopefully there will be news tomorrow.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2010, 07:14:44 pm »

Don't worry, the withdrawal symptoms from a lack of updates will abide around the time Toady makes a new update. Stuff can happen in a person's life, never mind how Toady's style of only updating when he's finished doing something means there can be long stretches for big tasks. Like how that fish bug meant having to rewrite a portion of world gen and then optimising it for memory efficiency. Something else may have blown up that he's having to fix.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

sapperski

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2010, 07:25:39 pm »

Any word on the OpenGL version? I know I read somewhere that it's on the to do list, but I'm really anxious about playing and my framerate is only about 15 fps on this version. I've been playing DF for quite awhile now, and can't wait to see some of the updates on this one.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2010, 07:32:46 pm »

Any word on the OpenGL version? I know I read somewhere that it's on the to do list, but I'm really anxious about playing and my framerate is only about 15 fps on this version. I've been playing DF for quite awhile now, and can't wait to see some of the updates on this one.

That's what he currently seems to be working on.  As usual, there's no release date, but hopefully not too long from now.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2010, 07:41:42 pm »

I fixed my framerate by ramping down my embark site from 16x16 to 9x9. I hope I don't have to regen for the fish fix, but I prolly will so I hope my seeds work fine.

I still thought opengl was happening after a few releases of major bugfixes. I think he may be tracking down military issues now, but again I'm not Toady so I dunno. Whatever he does it'll be good, I'm sure, so he should take as long as he needs.

I'm sure we'd all rather have slow releases with solid fixes rather than a release every day with shaky fixes! Patience is me!
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

sapperski

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2010, 07:49:50 pm »

I'm patiently waiting, but my last embark was a 6x6, I'm sure Toady is doing a wonderful job and working extremely hard, just wasn't sure if there was a date set for the OpenGL I missed, but I guess not. I'll just keep checking.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2010, 09:56:00 pm »

Hi!

I fixed my framerate by ramping down my embark site from 16x16 to 9x9. I hope I don't have to regen for the fish fix, but I prolly will so I hope my seeds work fine.

I think that Toady One mentioned somewhere that the fix for the fish bug involved some procedures during world gen, so I believe it is probable that you will need to regen. As for seeds working, I think he mentioned in that also that he tried to preserve that - but again, I would not place bets on it.

What is it that makes you want to keep that seed? A small detail (e.g. a nifty waterfall) or just the greater context (e.g. jungle right next to glacier)?

Deathworks

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 23, 2010, 12:05:36 am »

Hi!

I think that Toady One mentioned somewhere that the fix for the fish bug involved some procedures during world gen, so I believe it is probable that you will need to regen. As for seeds working, I think he mentioned in that also that he tried to preserve that - but again, I would not place bets on it.

What is it that makes you want to keep that seed? A small detail (e.g. a nifty waterfall) or just the greater context (e.g. jungle right next to glacier)?

Deathworks

Well, it is right near a river delta, is rich in flux and bauxite, and also has a crazy amount of bituminous coal. I can also get just about any metal (in ore OR bar form) from the caravan. It's got a nice section of trees and stuff, too. I dug down to the cavern and it's pretty swanky there, too. It seems like it has an entire congruous section of land over all three Z levels, so it should make exploring pretty easy, too.

I was hoping to locate a magma pipe, but with the amount of bauxite I'm thinking I may just dig my way down to the Sea of Fun and carefully build a Crazy Bauxite Fun Slide.

I used to have a fort in one of the interim versions after 3d but before 40d that was lovingly called Bokstrasp. It was epic. It had a river, flux, and bauxite. Oh, and it also straddled a magma pipe. I think the only thing it lacked was sand. Wait, no... It had that too. I can never get Bokstrasp back... :( Sadness...

I like this map, though. The elves also seem to be frequently accosted by mountain goats. It's aggravating, though, because there's next to nothing to hunt. This may be something related to the fish bug, tho.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2010, 03:50:55 am »

I personally am glad the open GL is high on the list of priorities.  It spoiled me having it in 40d.  In fact, I'd just as soon play my old 40d fortress and my new one due to the issues I have getting graphics to work without it.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2010, 09:12:55 am »

Toady used to update even when he was in long projects before. It would be nice to see " Hey guys, I'm working on the merge. ktnxbye" once in a while.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 23, 2010, 10:51:33 am »

Well, right now it's kind of important to make sure the forum doesn't descend into the flaming abyss. ;P

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 23, 2010, 10:53:59 am »

what is open gl?
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2010, 12:22:01 pm »

I believe they are referring to the 40d# versions that were in the last version.  They were sorta semi-official versions of DF released with an optimized and cleaned up graphics code made by a member of the community using the tiny bit of the graphical code for DF released through the Battle Champs game.

The person fixed up the code and it would be submitted to Toady where It would be implemented into 40d DF and then released.

It significantly improved game speed for most, and ended up adding some extra features as well.  However it ended up having some bugs in the later releases.  Which I assume is what caused the final official merge that was planned to become an official part of .31 to be delayed. 

If I recall there's 19 versions of these releases, numbered 40d1-40d19.  Features included on the fly screen resizing, command macros, and tileset transparency.  There were probably a few other things that I don't quite recall as well.  I personally found d16 to be the most stable for my use, but others have their own favorites.

EDIT: Shiny red gem ninja.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:26:44 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23