Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released  (Read 122393 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released
« Reply #315 on: May 14, 2010, 01:27:31 pm »

Exactly what will the update (DF 0.31.04?) provide? Well, apart from the bug-fixes, of course. Compability with Linux and Mac?

Yes, these bugfixes, and as noted in today's devlog, he's working on the Linux/Mac versions right now.  A few more easy fixes will probably find their way in as well.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:30:00 pm by Footkerchief »

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 14, 2010, 01:38:57 pm »

Oh, I don't think I have an account on Mantis, I'm afraid...

EDIT: Made one. Neat!
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 14, 2010, 02:46:18 pm »

Exactly what will the update (DF 0.31.04?) provide? Well, apart from the bug-fixes, of course. Compability with Linux and Mac?

Yes, these bugfixes, and as noted in today's devlog, he's working on the Linux/Mac versions right now.  A few more easy fixes will probably find their way in as well.
The new graphics code has zooming as well... a feature I'm waiting to get back ;)

Actually, the features listed here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=50514
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 14, 2010, 02:49:43 pm »

The new graphics code has zooming as well... a feature I'm waiting to get back ;)

I hope theres more fixes than those though as I want to be able to farm on dry soil again.

The esc key not working for the embark screen not working might be fixed as he had to do a whole bunch of stuff with the interface.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #319 on: May 15, 2010, 03:13:26 am »

I am still sure that no matter what everyone says, farming on soil now definitely requires mud and this is a permanent feature now. Because I love how farming became a bit harder that way. *dodges the flaming arrows and disappears into the gloom of rainy morning*
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 15, 2010, 03:39:54 am »

Hi!

I am still sure that no matter what everyone says, farming on soil now definitely requires mud and this is a permanent feature now. Because I love how farming became a bit harder that way. *dodges the flaming arrows and disappears into the gloom of rainy morning*

Personally, I think having different advantages and disadvantages for underground and surface farming would be the most interesting encouraging a wide variety of play styles:

Underground:
- requires preparation of the plot (=muddy soil)
+ plants are non-seasonal (this is currently not the case, but I would expect the caverns to be non-seasonal)

Surface:
+ requires no preparation of the plot
- plants are seasonal (again, this is not in the game, but I would see this as reasonable)

Thus, you could pick whether you want to put up with preparing your farms carefully, but then having a constant production or to start farming right away but at the cost of having a non-constant production.

Deathworks

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 15, 2010, 04:37:07 am »

In principle it sounds good but the surface plants would need to be buffed to compensate. At present the advantage of underground farming is that you can do it immediately since you get the seeds on embark. Surface farming needs a skilled herbalist and time before you get your seeds. That and at present there's more you can do with underground plants (compensated for there being more variety in overground plants and the seasonal nature).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 15, 2010, 04:46:27 am »

I'm having no problems farming aboveground in 31.3. :)

Normalizing ecosystems and having crops require various degrees of light/fertilizer/water etc is not currently a priority for the ToadyOne, releasing exotic OS versions and then fixing military/healthcare bugs is, so I'll be patient.

I advice you guys to be patient as well and post your votes on agriculture issues on the eternal suggestion voting page. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 15, 2010, 10:00:36 am »

Hi!

In principle it sounds good but the surface plants would need to be buffed to compensate. At present the advantage of underground farming is that you can do it immediately since you get the seeds on embark. Surface farming needs a skilled herbalist and time before you get your seeds. That and at present there's more you can do with underground plants (compensated for there being more variety in overground plants and the seasonal nature).

O.o
You know, I am not quite sure whether we are talking about the same game there. As I mentioned several times across the forums, I am a die-hard surface farmer, and I have to admit that I approach that happy-go-lucky: My embarking dwarves have various skills, all at NOVICE level, including one or two novice herbalists. I simply designate an area for plant collecting right together with my lumber designation and at the same time build three or four 2x2 farm plots.

A little while later, I check on the farms if I can plant any plants that are directly edible, and if so have each farm specialize on one plant.

After that, I basically forget about the farming altogether, and I never had any problems with too little produce (my only problems were when I forgot to brew some of the plants and ran out of drinks, but the farming becomes efficient very quickly).

So, I can't really say I ever experienced any of the hardships/problems you are describing for surface plants.

Psieye: Well, I am personally fine with the way things are, but I wanted to voice my support for Sinistar before the shooting begins :) :) :)

Deathworks

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 15, 2010, 10:02:53 am »

Can someone provide proof that Toady said that the farming not working on dry soil is a feature now and not a bug? As I'm pretty sure that it IS a bug.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 15, 2010, 10:11:19 am »

I think people are referring to this post in this thread.

I should be looking at farming pretty soon.  I know there are reports on it, and the issue I remember from testing was that a soil wall underground below an underground soil tile wasn't supporting farming, and it probably should.  Farming up in the mountains without full soil walls should require mud.  I'm not sure soil walls should support underground plants at all, because that would encourage dwarves to settle away from the mountains, which is bizarre.  I'm not sure what's going on above ground, but it's best to keep the discussion of specific bugs in the bug reports on the tracker, I think, if there's something specific and bad going on.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Polydorases

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 15, 2010, 10:21:02 am »

Personally, I'd like to see all of the plants get some love in the near-future. Additional above-ground plants, additional below-ground plants(I'm surprised we didn't get these along with the new trees in 0.31), and a lot more reactions for them. Right now, each of the farmer's workshop jobs has exactly one use, and while the game supports more dye colors than the current drawing code can handle, only four are in the game.

(I might just be spoiled, though. I played exactly one game in 40d without Chariot's Botany Mod.)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 15, 2010, 11:08:20 am »

Hi!

O.o
You know, I am not quite sure whether we are talking about the same game there. As I mentioned several times across the forums, I am a die-hard surface farmer, and I have to admit that I approach that happy-go-lucky: My embarking dwarves have various skills, all at NOVICE level, including one or two novice herbalists. I simply designate an area for plant collecting right together with my lumber designation and at the same time build three or four 2x2 farm plots.

A little while later, I check on the farms if I can plant any plants that are directly edible, and if so have each farm specialize on one plant.

After that, I basically forget about the farming altogether, and I never had any problems with too little produce (my only problems were when I forgot to brew some of the plants and ran out of drinks, but the farming becomes efficient very quickly).

So, I can't really say I ever experienced any of the hardships/problems you are describing for surface plants.

Psieye: Well, I am personally fine with the way things are, but I wanted to voice my support for Sinistar before the shooting begins :) :) :)

Deathworks
Well, it's just my philosophy that embark dwarves should go all or nothing with skills. If I take Herbalism (and I often do), I max it out so I can get large wads of plant each gathering trip. Ok so it was an exaggeration on my part that it takes much longer to get surface farming up than underground farming, but provided you start with picks then to me it's still faster and easier to get underground farming done - whether you want advanced and reusable irrigaiton or not is when it gets longer. With surface farming, I need to make sure plants get brewed (which means making barrels, which takes time or embark points depending on if you're forging your own axe) and then go planting, easy sure but it takes time.

Anyway, indeed these are small concerns compared to getting more bugfixes out.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

voneiden

• Bay Watcher
  • hngh
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 15, 2010, 12:09:05 pm »

This is the most remarkable online community I have ever seen.

As for Toady, I hope he gets a break soon. Few people deserve it like he does. Of course, then we'll suffer from DF update withdrawal, but what the hell. ;)
I already am suffering update withdraw, but the ones with Mac & Linux etc probably are alotttt more.

(edited out last bit...could have caused a war.)

Nah, we're using WINE to run 0.31 while we wait. It's not an emulator, so it runs DF at nearly the same FPS you'd get in Windows. It would be nice to have the native version though since WINE doesn't work in fullscreen.

Can't go back to the non SDL build from 40d# series. I'm waiting patiently. Plus as a laptop user (with an ATI card - _-), the non-sdl version is a tad too slow for me. Well, I wouldn't bother using wine even on my desk computer.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 15, 2010, 06:59:46 pm »

Did the 31.x version upgrade include any performance optimizations itself? I was just wondering, since 40d runs slower then 2010 for me, even when its configured the same way in the init file. If this is so, will 31.4 contain both, and theoretically further enhance fps then even now for me?

Or will, rather depressingly, the 40d performance mechanics take over, and Ill have to either stay at 31.3 (And thats not going to happen for much longer, the bugs are very hard to ignore) or quit DF altogether...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23