Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 233

Author Topic: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!  (Read 232015 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!
« Reply #3120 on: August 26, 2015, 07:21:53 am »

Goddamn.

At least I know where to direct all that anger I can't point at Tony anymore.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: August 26, 2015, 08:25:23 am »

So....holding her back a year was maybe a way of buying time to figure something out? And he's being watched by the Court, so he has to be Dickfather Supreme at all times (except at home, where I'm guessing he has bug-blockers or something).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: August 26, 2015, 08:39:10 am »

So....holding her back a year was maybe a way of buying time to figure something out? And he's being watched by the Court, so he has to be Dickfather Supreme at all times (except at home, where I'm guessing he has bug-blockers or something).
That doesn't excuse her copying homework though... >.> 
But assuming that there are tests as in schools in good ol US of A, she still knows enough to pass. (So I don't really have a problem with it myself.)  Unless those are take home tests.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: August 26, 2015, 08:41:27 am »

This is set in Britain.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: August 26, 2015, 08:43:16 am »

This is set in Britain.
Do the British grade kids on tests?  I havn't the slightest clue how their schooling works.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: August 26, 2015, 09:58:58 am »

This is set in Britain.
Do the British grade kids on tests?  I havn't the slightest clue how their schooling works.
No, children are graded on their tea etiquette and bloodline.

THAT IS THE WRONG SCONE, NIGEL! YOU FAIL FOREVER

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: August 26, 2015, 11:29:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ah, I stand by my assessment, Fire Elemental shenanigans.   Surma didn't immediately die at child birth... and Tony knew why/how she was dying.  Conventional doohickeys clearly failed.
For what its worth, I think she didn't die instantly because she didn't lose the fire elemental fully until Annie got a bit older. I think Annie was slowly siphoning it off her mother, and once she got the entire thing Surma died very quickly. I think the ill health effects before her death were because living with even half a soul is pretty tough.

If Annie completely lost her fire elemental part, I think she would immediately slip into a coma, followed very shortly by death.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:57:02 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: August 26, 2015, 03:42:20 pm »

I think you're overthinking the magic. All that's necessary is that it "bring back Surma", and we already know that part of Surma became part of Annie. So without anything else it's reasonable to conclude that that part got taken away from her. All this stuff about souls as currency and stuff is kinda crufty.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: August 28, 2015, 02:41:48 am »

@today's comic: Suspected as much. At least I got that one right.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3129 on: August 28, 2015, 05:24:07 am »

I like how Tom casually backhands all the haters in the author comment.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: August 30, 2015, 11:21:17 am »

Meh. Thing is, unlike Annie, we immediately started out with the consequences of his severe character flaw that hurts everyone around him, no context to explain it, and no known redeeming features. If all the information we have about a guy is that he's a tremendous asshole, in a way that's consistent with all his past behavior, then by all metrics available to the reader we will conclude that he probably is not a Good Guy. As an author, communicating badly and then acting smug when your characters are misunderstood is not clever. It's certainly a valid and entertaining plot twist, but the casual backhanding is what leaves a sour taste in my mouth, y'see.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: August 30, 2015, 01:15:19 pm »

Yeah, but I think that's a natural product of having a fan base that's so keen on trying to predict everything that goes on. It's not a backhand aimed at the general reader, I think, but the ones who are themselves incredibly smug about their theories and how they 'know' everything that is going on despite often missing crucial details.

Not that it excuses it, of course, I just think that's more what's going on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3132 on: August 30, 2015, 01:29:58 pm »

While at first I was greatly amused with the latest chapter being all "Let's make everyone feel awkward for hating on Tony", I'm too am becoming increasingly, well, bored by it. It feels just so... dunno, artificial? From an extreme point of him being a complete jackass then swing into a complete opposite by being served a sob story about Surma. Don't get me wrong, I like the extra background story and little touches like him at first literally seeing Surma in class, but man, this is probably the first chapter since I started reading Gunnerkrigg that I'm just not impressed with.

But heeeeeeeey, not to be all sour about it or anything, the chapter isn't even finished and the whole story even less so, so I'll just have to wait a bit and see what cool trick will Tom pull out of his magic hat next.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: August 31, 2015, 03:10:04 am »

I like how Donny took neither side in today's strip.

SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: September 03, 2015, 12:39:24 pm »

I'm rather amused how yesterday's strip basically seems to sum up the diverging fan reactions to this chapter's revelations in a nutshell. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:41:19 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 233