Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 233

Author Topic: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!  (Read 231990 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!
« Reply #3135 on: September 03, 2015, 12:48:11 pm »

These past two chapters have played with reader reactions really well. I am impressed.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: September 11, 2015, 11:58:40 am »

Coyote stories are best stories. Also, digging the aboriginal-style artwork.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: September 11, 2015, 02:45:24 pm »

While at first I was greatly amused with the latest chapter being all "Let's make everyone feel awkward for hating on Tony", I'm too am becoming increasingly, well, bored by it. It feels just so... dunno, artificial? From an extreme point of him being a complete jackass then swing into a complete opposite by being served a sob story about Surma. Don't get me wrong, I like the extra background story and little touches like him at first literally seeing Surma in class, but man, this is probably the first chapter since I started reading Gunnerkrigg that I'm just not impressed with.

But heeeeeeeey, not to be all sour about it or anything, the chapter isn't even finished and the whole story even less so, so I'll just have to wait a bit and see what cool trick will Tom pull out of his magic hat next.
Yeah, its kind of uncool the way he did it in my opinion. He purposely set it up so that everyone would hate him as much as possible, and then when everyone hates him he goes "OH LOOK, HE ISN'T AN EVIL MONSTER AFTER ALL".
It would be one thing if he did it to move the story along, but it seems to me more like he did it the way he did just to make all the readers seem like idiots.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: September 11, 2015, 03:52:15 pm »

I still think he's a dick.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: September 11, 2015, 04:02:26 pm »

How did this not move the story along? Annie's complicated relationship with her father has been hinted at for the entire comic so far. It is a central plot element and deserves to be the sole focus for a couple chapters. And the way he did it really gets across the emotional turmoil and contradiction that Annie is feeling right now.

I'd say it was a cheap move if he wrote off what Tony did, but he had a character explicitly remind us that the good does not cancel out the bad.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: September 11, 2015, 04:59:20 pm »

I don't think he's completely forgiven yet, either. We've still got at least another whole chapter of Annie's response to the whole ordeal (and she has to sort out the whole thing about her corporeal form being separated from her soul and all that).
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: September 11, 2015, 05:43:17 pm »

I think it was well done, personally.  Sort of a, Yes, he is a complete asshole, but he had a reason to be a complete asshole, but that doesn't make him any less of an asshole alright you know what the situation is complicated okay.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: September 14, 2015, 04:19:50 pm »

This looks to be an interesting development.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: September 16, 2015, 05:38:52 am »

What /is/ Annie right now, though? Since Surma died when she transferred all her fire elemental spirit to Annie, that would mean that the fire elemental is Annie's etheric presence. Yet, she can use her blinker stone despite not having the fire elemental.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: September 17, 2015, 12:00:58 pm »

But she doesn't use it without the fire elemental being there at least in spirit. If you note every time she's used her blinker stone the fire elemental has always shown up next to her, and it's always the fire elemental that is now connected to the blinker stone, not her. My guess is that every time she has used it she's merely "riding along" or interacting remotely with the elemental while it does whatever, not actually using it herself.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: September 17, 2015, 12:11:22 pm »

Schizophrenia from the pressures of being Tony's kid and her true nature as a Fire Elemental.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: September 17, 2015, 01:09:44 pm »

Hold on, take a look at the current page. The "lords of the court" interest me... There's three figures. From the plainly effeminate figure and the hair style, I think the unmarked one is Jones. The lack of marking is interesting... Maybe noting her as an outsider, or non-human. The tall one on the left seems reminiscent of Eglamore somehow, but I'm not sure if I'm just imagining things or if it really is him. The marking on him is similar to one of the alchemical symbols for reverberation, but it isn't 100%; can anyone find a closer match? Moving on, the man in the center marked with bismuth. The 'king' of the court? Maybe the Bismuth Seed isn't as literal as we thought?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3147 on: September 17, 2015, 01:54:01 pm »

Hold on, take a look at the current page. The "lords of the court" interest me... There's three figures. From the plainly effeminate figure and the hair style, I think the unmarked one is Jones. The lack of marking is interesting... Maybe noting her as an outsider, or non-human. The tall one on the left seems reminiscent of Eglamore somehow, but I'm not sure if I'm just imagining things or if it really is him. The marking on him is similar to one of the alchemical symbols for reverberation, but it isn't 100%; can anyone find a closer match? Moving on, the man in the center marked with bismuth. The 'king' of the court? Maybe the Bismuth Seed isn't as literal as we thought?

The one on the left definitely looks like Eglamore. Red cape, and I can't imagine a blocky steel helmet like that on anyone but the Protector.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: September 17, 2015, 03:08:00 pm »

What do you think those lines behind her head are?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: September 17, 2015, 03:19:37 pm »

What do you think those lines behind her head are?
Probably symbolizing the "cut" that she did with her hair/fire elemental. Coyotoe is crazy ethereal so I would be surprised if he couldn't see the cut in some shape or another.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 233