Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Armageddon MUD  (Read 23554 times)

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
Armageddon MUD
« on: April 09, 2010, 10:32:13 pm »

Armageddon is a highly modified DIKU MUD, a form of multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORG), designed to provide a roleplaying experience in the harsh desert world of Zalanthas. The game is entirely textual, providing a coded backdrop in which players enact their characters' storylines. Players are required to stay in character on the game, but chatting about the game and its community takes place on the discussion boards. To get started, telnet to armageddon.org 4050 and create an account (the game is free). Once you have an account, you can create a character and begin playing.

http://www.armageddon.org/

So this game came up in another thread, and some of us (three's a crowd) decided to give it a try. So to stop derailment of that thread, I started this one.

Basically, Armageddon MUD is a MUD with permadeath, roleplay enforced, a rich background, strong admin interactions with the world, and differs in many unique ways from most MUDs out there. While permadeath may sound bad (Although its why I want to try this) it seems to add a higher level of commitment to the game. You can't just go around, killing every NPC in sight for xp and coins, doing so will result in the city guard hunting you down and killing you. At which point you would have to start all over again. Also, did I mention there's no levels? Only skill levels and attributes. I can't really even begin to cover the stuff there is in this, to get a better look you should read the help files they have on the website (Which is quite a bit, took me over half an hour to read through just the stuff for newbies to know).

If anyone else here plays/played it, I'd appreciate any tips/tricks you know

My status :
Human Warrior in Tulak
Employed! And learning that guard duty is boring
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:42:43 pm by quintin522 »
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armageddon MUD
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:36:17 pm »

I plan on trying this soon. If it's good I'll make a sticky for it at the Gameogre.com Forums :D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Dervin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:41:35 pm »

This website http://generator.synthasite.com/zalanthan-character-generator.php is pretty cool if you can't think of a character.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:01:09 pm »

This is a bit of an odd request, I don't know why I'm even requesting it really. I think it's been so many years of playing an unstoppable badass in all games, but uh...

Can you be mundane?

I mean like, can you do stuff like become a merchant, a farmer, or a pick pocket, or some other equally boring job?

Dervin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:03:43 pm »

This is a bit of an odd request, I don't know why I'm even requesting it really. I think it's been so many years of playing an unstoppable badass in all games, but uh...

Can you be mundane?

I mean like, can you do stuff like become a merchant, a farmer, or a pick pocket, or some other equally boring job?
Yep, and I think I might just try this game again.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:07:04 pm »

Can you be mundane?

Armageddon has a complete absence of unstoppable badasses. Do not expect a first character to survive their first day in-game.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 11:09:36 pm »

Cool! And I mean like, not just a weak fighter. I mean can I really have classes like blacksmith, merchant, or farmer?

Dervin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 11:11:31 pm »

I'm not sure about the blacksmith, but I know you can be a merchant.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 11:15:31 pm »

Just registered as a human warrior mercenary.. What guild should I join first?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 11:25:24 pm »

Just registered as Dort, a dwarf with the wanderlust, born in the 'rinth. Ranger/Scavenger with a huge background that required me to submit an email to expound upon it. Creating the character took me maybe two hours (though much of that was reading stuff).

Expected life span - 1 day. :P

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 11:25:31 pm »

If anyones online, I'm joining now.

EDIT: Player submited....*waits patiently*
I made a Merchant/Tailor elf. :D
See my sig!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:56:53 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 11:31:36 pm »

Character approval process means your joining now means nothing to those online :P

Dervin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 11:34:57 pm »

Wait are we all starting out in the 'rinth?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 12:00:44 am »

Right, name ingame is Rut.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 12:01:19 am »

Character approval process means your joining now means nothing to those online :P
Yes, I forgot about that part :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22