Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422960 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4140 on: October 21, 2011, 03:24:27 am »

Hm. Tried your fixes. He still didn't appear. Is there a limit to how many megabeasts the game can have?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: October 21, 2011, 06:06:47 am »

Just a quick question, how would I go about making a reaction and custom workshop to make cardboard and then make cardboard boxes for storage as a cheaper than bins way to store stuff random thing that serves no purpose but to store stuff?
I suggest you check out the building token and reactions articles on the wiki. They are pretty thorough. You can also copy some of Toady's none-hardcoded buildings.

There are a few ways you can do this. If you are only going to be using cardboard to make bins then you could have a reaction that takes wood and makes multiple bins of a new material called cardboard. This would be one of the simpler options avoiding the need to first make cardboard and then turn it into bins.

First you'd need a new material.
Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:CARDBOARD]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL:cardboard]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:0][TILE:'#']
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]

Then a reaction with the following tokens.
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:5:BIN:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:CARDBOARD]

You could have a custom building for the reaction but the crafts workshop would do.

Another way you could do this is to have a reaction that turns a log into some cardboard sheets which can then be turned into cardboard bins.

First you'd need a new cardboard material.

Then create a new sheets tool.
[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SHEET]
[NAME:sheet:sheets]
[VALUE:1]
[TILE:254]
[SIZE:1000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]

Then a reaction that turns a wood log into some of the new sheets.
[PRODUCT:100:5:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SHEET:INORGANIC:CARDBOARD]

And a reaction that turns the cardboard sheets into bins.
[REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SHEET]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BIN:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:CARDBOARD]

You could add a new tree that doesn't grow naturally. It's wood called "cardboard".
[PLANT:CARDBOARD_TREE]
[NAME:cardboard_tree][NAME_PLURAL:cardboard_trees][ADJ:cardboard]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:cardboard]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:cardboard]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[TREE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOOD][TREE_TILE:6]
[SAPLING]
[SOLID_DENSITY:700]

Then have a reaction that creates bins made of cardboard tree "wood" when given a log.
[PRODUCT:100:5:BIN:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:CARDBOARD_TREE:WOOD]

The problem you'll have is that wood is already value 1 and so is cardboard. Being able to create multiple sheets of cardboard or cardboard items from one wood will always multiply the value artificially. To solve this problem you could increase all the default values and then have cardboard as value 1.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:46:51 am by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4142 on: October 21, 2011, 07:42:09 am »

Hm. Tried your fixes. He still didn't appear. Is there a limit to how many megabeasts the game can have?

Where are you putting the [CREATURE:PHOENIX] entry?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: October 21, 2011, 08:53:32 am »

Placed it in its own file along with some other megabeasts, so that's not the problem. And all the megabeasts within are self-made, if that matters.

ImaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: October 21, 2011, 11:25:47 am »

Just a quick question, how would I go about making a reaction and custom workshop to make cardboard and then make cardboard boxes for storage as a cheaper than bins way to store stuff random thing that serves no purpose but to store stuff?
I suggest you check out the building token and reactions articles on the wiki. They are pretty thorough. You can also copy some of Toady's none-hardcoded buildings.

There are a few ways you can do this. If you are only going to be using cardboard to make bins then you could have a reaction that takes wood and makes multiple bins of a new material called cardboard. This would be one of the simpler options avoiding the need to first make cardboard and then turn it into bins.

First you'd need a new material.

Then a reaction with the following tokens.
[PRODUCT:100:5:BIN:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:CARDBOARD]

You could have a custom building for the reaction but the crafts workshop would do.

Another way you could do this is to have a reaction that turns a log into some cardboard sheets which can then be turned into cardboard bins.

First you'd need a new cardboard material.

Then create a new sheets tool.
[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SHEET]
[NAME:sheet:sheets]
[VALUE:1]
[TILE:254]
[SIZE:1000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]

Then a reaction that turns a wood log into some of the new sheets.
[PRODUCT:100:5:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SHEET:INORGANIC:CARDBOARD]

And a reaction that turns the cardboard sheets into bins.
[REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SHEET]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BIN:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:CARDBOARD]

You could add a new tree that doesn't grow naturally. It's wood called "cardboard".
[PLANT:CARDBOARD_TREE]
[NAME:cardboard_tree][NAME_PLURAL:cardboard_trees][ADJ:cardboard]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:cardboard]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:cardboard]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[TREE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOOD][TREE_TILE:6]
[SAPLING]
[SOLID_DENSITY:700]

Then have a reaction that creates bins made of cardboard tree "wood" when given a log.
[PRODUCT:100:5:BIN:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:CARDBOARD_TREE:WOOD]

The problem you'll have is that wood is already value 1 and so is cardboard. Being able to create multiple sheets of cardboard or cardboard items from one wood will always multiply the value artificially. To solve this problem you could increase all the default values and then have cardboard as value 1.
  Why thank you sir/ma'am, your help is appreciated.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: October 21, 2011, 11:31:58 am »

Placed it in its own file along with some other megabeasts, so that's not the problem. And all the megabeasts within are self-made, if that matters.
Doesn't the (FANCIFUL) tag mean a creature is fictional even to dwarfs? If so, that might explain why the Phoenix is not appearing in your game...

- - - - -

In other news, I'm adding even more crops to my game. Here's some code for golden chantarelles (underground crop, brewable into dwarven cognac, base was plump helms with some references from pig tails) and maize (surface crop, brewable into chicha, millable into maize flour, base was my wild rice mod).

Considering also adding truffles (underground crop, brewable?), morels (underground crop, brewable?), and puffballs (underground crop, brewable?). Agave as a surface plant for tequila or mezcal also possible.

Spoiler: Golden Chantarelles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Maize (click to show/hide)

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: October 21, 2011, 02:04:21 pm »

hello, i've a couple of questions.
first is possible to create a mist as byproduct from a reaction? (plannynf on creating a SPA
second is possible to create a positive syndrome? to be more specific i want ot create a syndrome that affects a specific race in a positive way
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4147 on: October 21, 2011, 02:20:25 pm »

first is possible to create a mist as byproduct from a reaction? (plannynf on creating a SPA

I really doubt it.  Mist is only created by falling water.  It's not an item you can create.

second is possible to create a positive syndrome? to be more specific i want ot create a syndrome that affects a specific race in a positive way

Not yet, but once the creature interactions go in for the next version it might be.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: October 21, 2011, 03:16:19 pm »

mmh, fine.. another one, i've created a custome race that can use the still to make blood wine, that wine make anyone drink it nauseous except themselves of course, but how can i make sure that every member of my race prefers it over anything else?
to be more generic how i can make sure that a race like a specific product?
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

Nukarama

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: adorable stupidity]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: October 21, 2011, 03:40:11 pm »

Is it possible to make that can use 2 skills? I want to make the short sword be either dagger or sword.
And when the site infiltration feature is done, we can do that thing where two short people disguise themselves as one tall guy in a trenchcoat. Except the two people in question will be halves of the same person.
The perfect disguise.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: October 21, 2011, 03:54:46 pm »

mmh, fine.. another one, i've created a custome race that can use the still to make blood wine, that wine make anyone drink it nauseous except themselves of course, but how can i make sure that every member of my race prefers it over anything else?
to be more generic how i can make sure that a race like a specific product?
As things stand creatures won't catch syndromes from eating or drinking. You also can't make your race prefer something over anything else, though, I think booze is always preferable to water.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: October 21, 2011, 05:02:26 pm »

It is possible to make the reaction produce a byproduct that is called 'mist' when it is gas, and have it turn to gas at room temperature.
Also, [FANCIFUL] means that all the civs know about it. It's [DOES_NOT_EXIST] that erases it from existence.

EDIT:Never mind, the phoenix works now that I added genders in for the sake of description.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:25:54 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: October 21, 2011, 08:57:44 pm »

EDIT:Never mind, the phoenix works now that I added genders in for the sake of description.
I didn't notice it lacked castes until you mentioned it, but for future information it is the caste(s) that show up in the game. I've heard that in the RAW System castes are the main thing looked at in creature object aside from the Creature ID.

Poorly timed information, I know, but I figured it should be stated.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: October 22, 2011, 05:56:53 am »

is there a tool or utility that allows you to see what names you have already engraved on slabs? or can add jobs to the workshops to engrave slabs for names that don't already have a slab engraved for them ?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: October 22, 2011, 07:38:57 am »

No, the creature can just have [CASTE_NAME:blah:blah:blah] plopped on under its name. That's how the bronze colossus works, and the bronze colossus is genderless. I just removed castes to make the creature genderless, because there's only supposed to be one of them.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 357