Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 423149 times)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3915 on: September 16, 2011, 06:27:00 pm »

So I've got a question regarding how many creatures can be on a map at a given time, is there a limit? For instance I have started to add some of the smaller mammals (shrews, tenrecs, moles, etc...) to my mod but I don't want you to start a fortress and have nothing but a family of shrews living there.

Also, what are peoples opinions on what should be vermin and what shouldn't be? Should I set a weight limit so that anything under a body size of 1000 (or some other number) is a vermin, or should it be species based (for instance some mongoose weigh under a kg, but others can weigh as much as 5 or 6, or more dramatically some species of tortoise weigh as little as a kg while others weigh 300-400), maybe it should be species and weight based?

EDIT: Also, if I give a creature a frequency of zero AND common domestic, will it still be brought by migrants or sold by caravans?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:19:17 pm by Roses »

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: September 17, 2011, 03:46:10 pm »

I'm not sure about the exact number, but there definitely is a limit to the number of groups of animals running around on your map.

Considering that several animals, like cats and dogs, are [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and don't have any biome information at all, having a frequency of 0 shouldn't matter at all.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: September 17, 2011, 11:20:06 pm »

Making Mod need help, getting the creature to show up in arena mode....and tissues.
1. Fix caste names
([NAME:fighter:fighter:fighters] to [CASTE_NAME:fighter:fighter:fighters], for all castes)
2. Typo in the bottom:
      [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS]BRONZE:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
To
      [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:BRONZE:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]

For further tissue help, would you want that caste to be entirely made of bronze? Or only one layer?

Thanks, I only want the caste to have one layer of bronze skin, but said caste shows up as "nothing" in arena and crashes the game.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: September 18, 2011, 06:36:21 am »

hello again guys, 3 questions

-how i can add a new skill?
-how i set a caste to be unable to work except for military?
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: September 18, 2011, 06:48:54 am »

That's 2 questions.

And I think that at the moment, you can't add new skills nor make military-only caste.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: September 18, 2011, 10:05:44 am »

There are unused skills/professions which you can rename and use as new skills. The currently unused non-military skills are MAGIC_NATURE and ALCHEMY for druids and alchemists respectively. The only unused, I think, military / weapons skill is BLOWGUN for blowgunners. You can link reactions to any skill you like.

So say, for example, you wanted a gunsmith and a gunsmiths shop with requisite reactions? You'd start by renaming the druid skill MAGIC_NATURE in the dwarf creature entry like so:
Code: [Select]
[PROFESSION_NAME:MAGIC_NATURE:gunsmith,gunsmiths]
Then create the gunsmiths building as you see fit and it's reactions. To make each reaction train the druid skill make sure you have this at the end of each reaction:
[SKILL:MAGIC_NATURE]

If you want a new weapon with it's own skill then you can do the same with the blowgun skill with the exception that you'd want to link your new weapon to the skill like so:
[SKILL:BLOWGUN]
If you are creating your own entities then you could even rename and use the skills that dwarves currently use for other things. A full list here.

If you want to have a caste that is only useful in the military you might be able to make them really stupid through attribute rates but that might have unintended consequences and I'm not too familiar with them.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: September 18, 2011, 02:08:16 pm »

You can set the rates of individual skill growth through [SKILL_LEARN_RATE:SKILL:%] and [SKILL_LEARN_RATES:%]. I don't know if you can give a creature [SKILL_LEARN_RATES:0] and then set individual skills like [SKILL_LEARN_RATE:SWORD:100], so you may have to do some tedious copy-pasting. Either way, you can limit creatures to only military skills.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: September 18, 2011, 03:12:45 pm »

That will limit them to only IMPROVING military skills but won't stop them from being able to use the skills with learn rates of 0. They can still use them - they just will never get any better at them.

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: September 18, 2011, 04:31:22 pm »

Thankyou very much i relly wanted to make the new RUNELORD profession and SLAYER(warrior caste)
a new kind of craftmanship and a warrior caste limited to combat, now with your help i'll rename:
[PROFESSION_NAME:MAGIC_NATURE:runecraft,runecrafts]
and i'll change the general learn rate of the warrior caste to 0% while ill set manually it at 100% for fighting skills to represent thier mind focused on finding death in battle
that will greatly help me
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: September 18, 2011, 04:49:36 pm »

An issue with a reaction that I can't seem to fix...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The reaction behaves as intended, but is kicking out a generic item named "fish," which has all of the properties of the material it is assigned except for the name.  The dwarves will process and eat it, but will not stockpile it, and it does not appear in the kitchen stocks list.  I was wondering if anyone else had come across this problem when trying to produce an organic item from a reaction, and hopefully a possible solution.  Changing FISH_RAW to CORPSE crashes the game.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: September 18, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »

Maybe it's because carp are one of those fish that aren't vermin? Try cave fish or something.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: September 18, 2011, 05:15:49 pm »

The vermin thing seems the likely issue here. Vermin fish use the FISH/FISH_RAW stuff and are processed at the fishery, but non-vermin fish like carp would use MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:CARP:MUSCLE like other creatures that go through the butcher shop. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Fish

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: September 19, 2011, 02:50:47 pm »

I'm working on a mod and i've come to a crossroads on how to make my creatures. An example is a being that is supposed to be normal, human sized but have attacks (punching, biting) that are unnaturally powerful for his size. He would also be resistant to damage as if he were very large.

I was planning on making him huge anyways and just pretending that he's normal sized, but i'm wondering if custom made body materials would work better. Very dense skin, bones and organs so he is harder to kill, but would that translate to attacks? If someones fists are made of very dense materials would that make them more damaging?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: September 19, 2011, 06:11:52 pm »

I'm working on a mod and i've come to a crossroads on how to make my creatures. An example is a being that is supposed to be normal, human sized but have attacks (punching, biting) that are unnaturally powerful for his size. He would also be resistant to damage as if he were very large.

I was planning on making him huge anyways and just pretending that he's normal sized, but i'm wondering if custom made body materials would work better. Very dense skin, bones and organs so he is harder to kill, but would that translate to attacks? If someones fists are made of very dense materials would that make them more damaging?
For the attack just up the velocity modifier a lot, density doesn't seem to affect them.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: September 19, 2011, 07:13:00 pm »

For the attack just up the velocity modifier a lot, density doesn't seem to affect them.

Oh nice, I didn't know that could be applied to creatures attacks. Thanks.

Should probably study those token pages more.
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 357