Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 423154 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3900 on: September 11, 2011, 05:26:58 pm »

A rather complicated question:

I plan on modding in a couple of primitive firearms (hand-cannons, muskets), early artillery (cannons), and complex ways of producing ammo for them.

The ammo for the musket will have to go like this:
1) I must burn a tree at the wood furnace to make a block of charcoal.
2) I also must burn another tree to make a block of ash.
3) Then, a dwarf builds an ashery to turn the ash into a block of potash.
4) Yet another dwarf must build the Saltpeter Beds workshop (Civ Forge) to turn the potash into a boulder of saltpeter.
5) The block of charcoal is hauled to a quern or a mill and ground up with the saltpeter--turning into 'a stack of 10 gunpowder'-- and is transferred to an empty bag.
6) Bullets (count as a type of toy) are then cast at a custom workshop, the Foundry, and the bag of gunpowder, a unit of cloth, and the bullets are hauled off.
7) 50 cartridges are then made at the clothier's workshop.

The recipe for hand cannon ammo is mostly the same, except that hand-cannonballs (still a toy) must be cast, instead of bullets.

The recipe for cannon ammo is the same as above, but any random stone will do for ammunition.

The components for each firearm must also be cast, but for the cannon, it needs two pipe sections.

For a Hand-Cannon to be made:
1) A dwarf forges a pipe section.
2) Another dwarf carries a log to a craftsdwarf's workshop and carves it into a musket stock (wood crafting)
3) The Gunsmith (weaponsmith with custom profession name) carries the Pipe Section and the musket stock to the Gunsmith's Shop (custom workshop).
4) The gunsmith then attaches the pipe section to the musket stock to create one Hand-Cannon (gains skill in smithing weapons).

For a Musket to be made:
1) The Founder (furnace operator with custom profession name) takes a metal bar to the foundry and casts a Gun Barrel (tool).
2) The founder hauls another metal bar and casts five Gun Mechanisms (yet another toy).
3) A Weaponsmith forges a Bayonet from another metal bar (weapon, obviously).
4) A wood-crafter carves out another Musket stock (forgot to mention it's a tool).
5) The gunsmith hauls the gun barrel, one gun mechanism, the bayonet, and the musket stock to his shop and creates one Musket.

To make a cannon (siege engine):
1) A Metalsmith forges two pipe sections.
2) The same metalsmith then forges a mechanism.
3) A Siege Engineer makes two catapult parts.
4) The two pipe sections are then welded together at the foundry by the founder to make a Cannon Barrel.
5) When needed, the catapult parts, the cannon barrel, and the mechanism can be combined to make a mighty cannon.

Only problem is, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHATSOEVER how to do ANYTHING I've typed. Does anyone else know what to do?

Sorry for the long post.

You can change the names of weaponsmiths/armorsmiths etc. by altering the PROFESSION_NAME tags. However, you can't do this in such a way that you create a sub-caste of another profession; in other words, you can't "add" another profession to the game. What you can do is change the name of the "Druid" (or one of the other hidden, unused-by-dwarf professions) profession to "Gun Smith", and have it be trained by the custom reactions used in making guns.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:29:33 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: September 11, 2011, 07:56:26 pm »

Were is giant rat found in the raws?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: September 11, 2011, 08:26:27 pm »

Were is giant rat found in the raws?
creature_subterranean.txt as RAT_GIANT

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: September 13, 2011, 08:56:07 am »

How would I make it so that a breath attack looks somewhat like it's a mix between red and blue?

Just give it color values so that red is foreground/blue is background or vice-versa?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: September 13, 2011, 09:14:37 am »

How would I make it so that a breath attack looks somewhat like it's a mix between red and blue?

Just give it color values so that red is foreground/blue is background or vice-versa?
Making optic eye lasers for the yellowbloods?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: September 13, 2011, 09:17:39 am »

hello i need a hand in creting runic equipent, my idea is to create a workshop where a engraver or a smith(not sure) can chisel runes in any metallic weapon or armor to increase their potential, at first i wanted to create a process that would take  ot time to do it, i failed, so i changed the goal i made a process who turn a metallic item into a runic metal item, i did this by creating a new metal (runic copper, runic iron... etc.)
my question are
1 - how i make sure that none except dwarves use those runic metals?
2 - how i can make a workshop who use power
3 - how i can make subcategories for the above mentioned
4 - anyone can give some suggetions for the runic metal effectiveness and value?
5 - any other suggestion?
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: September 13, 2011, 11:10:43 am »

hello i need a hand in creting runic equipent, my idea is to create a workshop where a engraver or a smith(not sure) can chisel runes in any metallic weapon or armor to increase their potential, at first i wanted to create a process that would take  ot time to do it, i failed, so i changed the goal i made a process who turn a metallic item into a runic metal item, i did this by creating a new metal (runic copper, runic iron... etc.)
my question are
1 - how i make sure that none except dwarves use those runic metals?
2 - how i can make a workshop who use power
3 - how i can make subcategories for the above mentioned
4 - anyone can give some suggetions for the runic metal effectiveness and value?
5 - any other suggestion?

1) Make sure an ore of the metal does not show up naturally in the world. Do not give any other entities access to reactions that produce the metal. This should keep them from being able to use the metal for other things.

2) You can't; power is hardcoded into the workshops that use it at the moment.

3) You can't, sorry. :( Would be nice for organization.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: September 13, 2011, 06:32:18 pm »

Making optic eye lasers for the yellowbloods?

Obviously :P

I'm trying to conceal my motives when possible since capntastic exploded on me, especially when it comes to this kind of thing >_>

scion-of-fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • All Things Serve the Beam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: September 15, 2011, 11:38:48 am »

Can I add folders to my RAW folder without breaking the game? I use several creature mods, and it is... getting out of hand.

For the sake of Clarification:

>Dwarf Fortress
>>raw
>>>Vanilla Creatures
>>>>creature_domestic.txt
>>>Mod Creatures
>>>>creature_mod.txt

EDIT: It would appear that I cannot do so. Damn. Guess I'll just have to make GIGANTIC .TXT FILES, GIGANTIC .TXT FILES everywhere, lol.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:10:38 pm by scion-of-fenrir »
Long Days and Pleasant Nights, Stranger.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: September 15, 2011, 03:27:19 pm »

Hm, I'm a bit confused about entity tokens regarding animals. Is there a way to give an entity something like [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] without letting them use common domestics but having trade and pack animals work fine? (Adding in pack animals that live in caves would work, I assume?)
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: September 16, 2011, 02:56:02 pm »

Again in need of help :(

Any idea why the attacks don't work?
Spoiler: Creature (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Body (click to show/hide)

To answer the above:
Hm, I'm a bit confused about entity tokens regarding animals. Is there a way to give an entity something like [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] without letting them use common domestics but having trade and pack animals work fine? (Adding in pack animals that live in caves would work, I assume?)
I think you just have to omit [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK] or whatever it is. Gobbos don't have it, and from what I read, they can have caravans and what not (never played far enough before I wanted to test new raws or had Fun). So it could work (?)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 03:03:38 pm by squishynoob »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: September 16, 2011, 05:15:29 pm »

Making Mod need help, getting the creature to show up in arena mode....and tissues.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: September 16, 2011, 05:30:33 pm »

Making Mod need help, getting the creature to show up in arena mode....and tissues.
1. Fix caste names
([NAME:fighter:fighter:fighters] to [CASTE_NAME:fighter:fighter:fighters], for all castes)
2. Typo in the bottom:
      [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS]BRONZE:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
To
      [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:BRONZE:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]

For further tissue help, would you want that caste to be entirely made of bronze? Or only one layer?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:32:57 pm by squishynoob »

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: September 16, 2011, 05:36:15 pm »

Again in need of help :(

Any idea why the attacks don't work?
Spoiler: Creature (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Body (click to show/hide)

To answer the above:
I think you just have to omit [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK] or whatever it is. Gobbos don't have it, and from what I read, they can have caravans and what not (never played far enough before I wanted to test new raws or had Fun). So it could work (?)
What error/s are you getting with those attacks? What does your errorlog.txt say?

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: September 16, 2011, 06:25:09 pm »

What error/s are you getting with those attacks? What does your errorlog.txt say?

Nothing in the error log, the attacks just aren't used (only pushing)
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 357