Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422171 times)

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #5220 on: February 07, 2012, 03:09:41 pm »

So I was messing with genesis and decided that i wanted the Old Ones from the Cthulhu Mythos mod. the problem is that the Old Ones are too weak in comparison to the illithids and other megabeasts. the big problem is that I suck at modding, with the best thing I've made being crappy dwarven weaponry. Could i get some assistance in making this stronger by Genesis standards? here's the shamelessly ripped  creature raws
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, the detail plan
, and the body
I hope to one day not suck at modding, but for now, what can I do, and does anyone have any helpful tips so I can make ridiculously overpowered beings on my own?

The Genesis mod uses a whole bunch of new materials for the creatures (tough skin, tough bones etc). The new materials are tougher than the vanilla ones and it seems like the Old One uses them.

I haven't dissected the Genesis mod thoroughly yet so I can't exactly tell you what tags to replace with what, but you can replace the STANDARD_MATERIALS for the Genesis ones as a start.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:11:48 pm by Prologue »

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: February 07, 2012, 03:14:28 pm »

ill see what i can do, cause that gave me an idea.
Im all about giving ideas. Cant wait

does anyone have any helpful tips so I can make ridiculously overpowered beings on my own?
We found with the Underhive Mod that anything which attacks you first is very dangerous. Even having small groups of human sized badgers is dangerous. Elephants or even Dragons become mediocre when all they do is run away constantly.

Good option is to increase the size of the creature, make its muscle and bone templates about as strong as iron and then test it in the arena. Webs, Fire breath, ect are all very powerful.

[NO_PAIN][NO_FEAR] Tags also help, but not as much as [PRONE_TO_RAGE:100] which will make your creature fly into a bloodlust at the mere sight of a lesser being.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: February 07, 2012, 06:11:27 pm »

So due to a very bad circumstance i am putting everything i have on hold. it should only take a day or two to resolve, but after this i will get back to providing the tattoos and mask files( and my test race ive been using) if possible. until then see you guys and gals.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: February 07, 2012, 06:22:41 pm »

Where in the entity file can I get rid of cage usage in traps?  That is, I want cages to exist, for purposes of trade and storing cats, but not for those super-effective cage traps that deal with anything lacking the [TRAPAVOID] token in one shot for the cost of a bit of wood or glass, alerting the fortress to any ambushers in the process.

Because those traps are silly.  But cages are kinda useful.

(Alternatively, some way to make cage traps inaccurate, or not be able to effect creatures larger than a certain size, but... I don't know if that would be possible.)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5224 on: February 07, 2012, 06:28:38 pm »

Traps are hard-coded.  Nothing you can do about that.  You can add new weapons that can only be used in traps, like serrated disks and such, but you can't remove any of the types of traps or make them less accurate.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5225 on: February 07, 2012, 06:47:34 pm »

You can, however, alter or remove the trapcomponents for weapon traps. See: item_trapcomp.txt
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:58:35 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: February 07, 2012, 06:56:35 pm »

[PREFSTRING:intelegence]

Intelligence, unless you're being ironic.
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: February 07, 2012, 10:50:21 pm »

You can, however, alter or remove the trapcomponents for weapon traps. See: item_trapcomp.txt
I don't see cages in there.  How do I get rid of cages?

jesusmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: February 07, 2012, 10:55:30 pm »

Another quick question. If i were to add an [UNDER_PRESSURE] tag to spines, would I be able to cut someone's back, tear the skin, and cause the spine to ge attackable/grabbable? I'm not sure if that's how one would go about ripping spines out or not.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5229 on: February 07, 2012, 10:57:17 pm »

You can't.  Cages don't go in weapon traps, they go in cage traps.  You can remove the individual weapons from weapon traps, but you can't remove cages from cage traps.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: February 07, 2012, 11:03:41 pm »

You can't.  Cages don't go in weapon traps, they go in cage traps.  You can remove the individual weapons from weapon traps, but you can't remove cages from cage traps.
Can I ban a civilization from building cages, at least?  I guess I'd have to ban every civilization from building cages, so they don't get some in trade or something...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: February 07, 2012, 11:08:20 pm »

Nope.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: February 07, 2012, 11:33:40 pm »

Nope.
So... I'm down to telling people in the README file that the mod is not balanced with cage traps in mind.  Lovely.

Also:  Is it true that fortresses will only have one variety of Large Predator attacking them?  Does this mean I should make most things that could be large predators not large predators, if I want the player to see a variety of them?

I'm making eleven types of Cretaceous Dromaeosaurids (Raptors), and about 4 of them are bigger and meaner than wolves.  But if they have a raptor as a large predator, does that mean they will never get T-rexes, Giganotosauruses, Spinosauruses, or, um, Carcharodontosauruses?

(For mega-beasts, I'm going for Dire versions of the giant theropods, along with the vaunted Horrorsaurus.  And maybe some dragon variations, including land wurms and flying dragons.)

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: February 07, 2012, 11:45:35 pm »

So... I'm down to telling people in the README file that the mod is not balanced with cage traps in mind.  Lovely.

If you're so adamant about it, why not just add [TRAPAVOID]? In my dinosaur mod, all dinos that are bigger than a raptor has it.

Also:  Is it true that fortresses will only have one variety of Large Predator attacking them?  Does this mean I should make most things that could be large predators not large predators, if I want the player to see a variety of them?

I'm making eleven types of Cretaceous Dromaeosaurids (Raptors), and about 4 of them are bigger and meaner than wolves.  But if they have a raptor as a large predator, does that mean they will never get T-rexes, Giganotosauruses, Spinosauruses, or, um, Carcharodontosauruses?

I don't understand the question, can you rephrase it?  :-\
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:57:54 am by Prologue »

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: February 08, 2012, 12:00:34 am »

If you're so adamant about it, why not just add [TRAPAVOID]? In my dinosaur mod, all dinos that are bigger than a raptor has it.
Because falling rocks, weapon traps, and upright spikes are all relatively balanced, particularly when built with stone-age technology.  ...unlike the instant success of a cage trap, which works just fine with any mechanism, with a cage made of wood to catching basically anything.

Also, could you link me to your dino mod?  I am curious what dinos you have done, and whether I might be able to adapt them to my own ends.

I don't understand the question, can you rephrase it?  :-\

Basically, there's a Large Predator named when you start your fortress.  I think that's the only one you will ever see.  If this is true, then I should probably only have one large predator for any particular biome.  The apex predator, basically.  If that is not the case, then I should put Large Predator tags on anything that will eat a dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 357