Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422166 times)

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #5235 on: February 08, 2012, 03:04:41 am »

Weapon traps aren't balanced though (I removed everything from the trap.txt list so they can't use upright spears or serated disc). I just can't see a Brachiosaurus, or somewhere along those sizes, get hurt by somethings that's 100x smaller than them. Who can believe that a dinosaur can die because it stepped on a trap attached to a hammer?

And my dino mod isn't out yet. I'm still planing half of it and the dinosaur list isn't even done yet. But if you want to see my list, I'm using this website: http://www.dinosaurfact.net/Dinolist.php

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5236 on: February 08, 2012, 08:54:17 am »

Basically, there's a Large Predator named when you start your fortress.  I think that's the only one you will ever see.  If this is true, then I should probably only have one large predator for any particular biome.  The apex predator, basically.  If that is not the case, then I should put Large Predator tags on anything that will eat a dwarf.

I have fortresses with the specific goal of charting the population of local animals, and I can say that there is no such restriction on the number of LARGE_PREDATOR creatures found in the local biomes.  Just as an example, I have had both wolves and black bears appear in the same embark, and my sea serpent farm fortress also caught dozens of sharks of many different types.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: February 08, 2012, 05:34:51 pm »

What does the the tag in the end of a product in a reaction do?

[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NONE:PEARLASH:NONE]

Most reactions I see uses NONE, but sometimes I see things like LEATHER_MAT or BONE_MAT. What does this mean exactly? Does it mean that it uses the values for it?

If I make a pillow weapon and uses pig tail thread and feathers and use GET_REACTION_FROM_REAGENT:thread and use FEATHER_MAT, would it mean that my pillow will have the values of a feather and be called 'pig tail fiber pillow'?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:36:54 pm by Prologue »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5238 on: February 08, 2012, 05:42:50 pm »

In this line:

[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NONE:PEARLASH:NONE]

BAR:NONE is the item type and item subtype, and PEARLASH:NONE is the material type and material subtype.  Most of the time the subtypes will be NONE, but some items and some materials require you to specify a subtype.

Your second question doesn't make much sense.  I don't think GET_REACTION_FROM_REAGENT is every a valid item or material type.  Items like weapons can only be made of one material, so you can either have a pig tail pillow, which will have the properties of pig tails, or a feather pillow, which will have the properties of feathers.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: February 08, 2012, 05:46:17 pm »

Ack, I meant GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT.

Items like weapons can only be made of one material, so you can either have a pig tail pillow, which will have the properties of pig tails, or a feather pillow, which will have the properties of feathers.

Well this answered my question. Thanks.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5240 on: February 08, 2012, 08:42:00 pm »

I am back with some more random questions it seems..

I had a moody weaponsmith that made a foreign weapon, too big for dwarves. How to avoid that ? I have never seen a artifact training weapon, so maybe adding the [TRAINING] tag to all foreign weapons ?

I would like to add this to the forge, for a better seperation, but dont want a mood to produce it:
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_TITLE_TWOHANDED]
[NAME:--- two handed weapons ---:--- two handed weapons ---]
[ADJECTIVE:you really had to try...]
[SIZE:1]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[TWO_HANDED:77500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:52000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:8000:jokes:jokes:NO_SUB:1250]

Also: Does anyone know what causes a reaction to respect stack size ? I get the weirdest results.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: February 08, 2012, 08:55:41 pm »

I'm fairly certain that [TRAINING] makes it so that the weapons that have it can only be made of wood, which would sort of ruin any invading armies when their weapons were all wood. Really the best way to fix this problem is simply to drop the [TWO_HANDED:xx] size down to 60000, therefore ensuring that dwarves will be able to wield all of the weapons, albeit some will require two hands.

As for stack size, all reactions automatically respect all reagent stack sizes unless you specifically add the [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] token. My guess is that you forgot to add this to some of your reagents like the containers. Also I'm fairly certain that you can run into weird things as well if you try to have a reaction depend on more then one stack size at the same time, then the game will only recognize the later reagent's stack size. (This is viewable in vanilla in the soap making reaction how if you have a stack of more then one lye it will still give you only one bar of soap since you only use 1 oil or tallow and those are mentioned later in the reaction then the lye is.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5242 on: February 09, 2012, 06:41:55 pm »

Ok, thanks for the help with the training tag. Wont work then. The weapons are too large by choice, dont want dwarves to use the weapons dropped by invaders, too easy ;)

But your stacksize answer cant be correct. I tried 10 different ways of making this, but it just dont work. Here the reaction, I am really at the end of my possibilites.

[REACTION:MAKE_BONEMEAL]
   [NAME:grind bone to bonemeal(flux)]
   [BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_F]
   [REAGENT:A:1:CORPSE:NONE:NONE:NONE][ANY_BONE_MATERIAL][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GRIND_MAT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:BONEMEAL][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
   [SKILL:BUTCHER]
   [SKILL:COOK]

I tried any_xxx_material, material reaction product, reaction_class, boulders, powder, normal product, product in container... nothing works. Edit: removed the container line...

I also saw that it is only possible to improve reagents, not product, correct ? As in: I cant produce a new, already improved item ?

Just checked the wiki about the tag you posted, it says:
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] -    Reagent quantity is ignored for the purposes of producing extra outputs. Typically used for containers so that stacks of reagents will correctly produce additional outputs.

This means I should ADD this tag to make the reaction acceppt stacks ? :confused:

Related: Is it possible to write a reaction that uses single bolts and puts them back in a stack ? Like a reaction that uses 10 bolts of a material type, (taking single bolts or stacks) and creating new bolts out of the same material. If the reaction accepts stack size, the new stack should have the same amount of bolts.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:52:03 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: February 09, 2012, 06:49:46 pm »

[REACTION:MAKE_BONEMEAL]
   [NAME:grind bone to bonemeal(flux)]
   [BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_F]
   [REAGENT:A:1:CORPSE:NONE:NONE:NONE][ANY_BONE_MATERIAL][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GRIND_MAT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:BONEMEAL][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:B]
   [SKILL:BUTCHER]
   [SKILL:COOK]
Why do you have [PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:B] in there, yet no B reagent?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5244 on: February 09, 2012, 06:52:56 pm »

Because I was just testing it with powder to bag... overlooked that line. Is removed.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: February 09, 2012, 07:26:10 pm »

Are you trying to produce a powder? If so you should probably use POWDER_MISC instead of BOULDER. Also if you want it to produce a relative amount of bonemeal then you would need to add [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] to the container, yes.

Edit: Changed my post because I wan't reading already said statements.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:29:41 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5246 on: February 10, 2012, 05:59:30 pm »

I tried with powder, but it seems that the smelter does not accept powder flux. It takes flux boulders only... Anyway, I gave up on this and dont want to bother you any more with this... maybe one day I'll stumble upon a solution.

For now, new questions. I always find more, unknown areas of modding... now about: entities and tradegoods:

How to give special civs items of a certain material ?
Adding a custom building and reaction that produces these, only for the one entity ? What about reagents and labor skill ? Do they have to be a permitted labor of that civ, or can I just leave it blank, taking any skill...
I know about giving them items, but I want them to only have items of custom materials, no normal materials. that should add a bit of flavor.

And how can I limit a civs access to certain materials ? As in: One civ should have all metals, but steel, another civ should have only steel... another civ only uses custom mats no one else has... remove all permitted labors (so they cant get anything the normal way) and then adding one labor that is only used for a special reaction giving them everything I want them to have ?  directly, the end-product.

I can find out most of this with testing, but I would need to wait for sieges/caravans, and that takes a lot of time for every testrun.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: February 10, 2012, 11:48:14 pm »

Make custom reactions, each reaction making a bar of a different metal for free. Don't let other civs mine and give them those free metal reactions as you see fit.

If you want them to only not use steel, that's as simple as just not including the steel making reaction in their entity.

Destroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: February 11, 2012, 08:30:31 am »

Is it possible to modify the text of the main menu title (to display the name of your mod)?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5249 on: February 11, 2012, 11:44:22 am »

Is it possible to modify the text of the main menu title (to display the name of your mod)?
Nope if it was I'm pretty sure all of us would have done it sorry :( Altho it would have been cool, but saddly that would involve access to the Hardcoded Raws, and the only way for that is to compile DF on your own with the changes or hunt through with a Memory Editior and make the alterations to the DF.EXE file.
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 357