Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarvemon 2010 v.6 - 101 Pokemon!  (Read 15006 times)

Shidoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarvemon 2010 v.3 - 50 Pokemon!
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 03:45:57 pm »

I started doing this myself, figuring no one else would be silly enough to try, and just stumbled across this. You've done a lot more work than me, and done it well.

The way I've been doing it is to use the caste system for different evolution levels of the same creature. That way, a Blastoise and a Squirtle can interbreed and create a Wartortle, but instances like the "spontaneous Wailord" example wouldn't happen.

It does mean egg groups are still not working, but I like this solution. Thoughts?

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 09:05:03 am »

I started doing this myself, figuring no one else would be silly enough to try, and just stumbled across this. You've done a lot more work than me, and done it well.

The way I've been doing it is to use the caste system for different evolution levels of the same creature. That way, a Blastoise and a Squirtle can interbreed and create a Wartortle, but instances like the "spontaneous Wailord" example wouldn't happen.

It does mean egg groups are still not working, but I like this solution. Thoughts?

Could be a good idea if done well. I don't actually know how I'd do it though, in regards to naming and stuff, so do go on.

Also, if anyone has any ideas of how to make ghost pokemon, I'm all ears. One idea I thought of was to make them vermin, but that would mean nobody would attack them. Open for suggestion on this.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:09:01 am by turgidtoupee »

Shidoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 12:26:08 pm »

Well, if you're interested, here's what I did with the Ursaring (I started with a pokemon that's almost identical to its base creature, the grizzly bear, to make sure castes were the only thing I was testing).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All creatures in the basic raws seem to be divided into male and female castes, so that's what I did here too, though I'm not sure whether it's necessary.

The way I've been doing it, all members of the species are called by the name of the base evolution as children ("teddiursa cub") even if that's not what they technically are. This will be a problem with things that radically change as they evolve (flying charmander hatchlings would be a problem for example) so they might have to be born fully evolved.

This probably does cause the problem that they all show up as "ursaring" in the embark screen and the diplomat's request window. I personally think that's a reasonable compromise, but some people might disagree. I tested them in the arena, though, and was able to tell ursaring from teddiursa.

turboburrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarvemon 2010 v.02 - Only 9 pokemon but it's a start!
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 02:05:44 pm »

You Dwarvemon people need to make pokemon a single creature and define all the pokemon in castes.
I think a few people, including me, misread this as saying, "Put all Pokemon as castes underneath one creature."

No they wouldn't.
That's retarded.
No it won't. I don't think you know how castes work.
Why are you acting like a know-it-all condescending jerk? Maybe you do know a lot, and maybe some one else doesn't know as much, but that doesn't mean you have to be so unfriendly about it.  Aren't forums supposed to be about having a community?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:07:20 pm by turboburrito »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 05:16:07 pm »

Why are you acting like a know-it-all condescending jerk? Maybe you do know a lot, and maybe some one else doesn't know as much, but that doesn't mean you have to be so unfriendly about it.  Aren't forums supposed to be about having a community?

That's just Squeegy doing his thing, don't let it get to you.

Ghost Pokemon could be replicated with flame-like tissue layers.
Also known as Zuhayr.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 05:59:29 pm »

I presume you mean some do-all tissue with [TISSUE_MAT_STATE:GAS]? I'll look into this, but if I'm right this will make them completely invulnerable to damage.

On second thoughts, maybe if I used this with a normal heart, that'd be decent.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:18:44 pm by turgidtoupee »

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 07:58:18 pm »

I presume you mean some do-all tissue with [TISSUE_MAT_STATE:GAS]? I'll look into this, but if I'm right this will make them completely invulnerable to damage.

On second thoughts, maybe if I used this with a normal heart, that'd be decent.

Well, dwarfs can't hurt demons made out of steam, so....???

This probably does cause the problem that they all show up as "ursaring" in the embark screen and the diplomat's request window. I personally think that's a reasonable compromise, but some people might disagree. I tested them in the arena, though, and was able to tell ursaring from teddiursa.
Interesting...  Too bad you can't have them called "Caste" Cubs or something.

Shidoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 10:55:13 pm »

Interesting...  Too bad you can't have them called "Caste" Cubs or something.

Actually, you can. Have you noticed that, in the new version, you can tell cow calves from bull calves?

I just defined them both as being called "teddiursa cub" because all ursaring are born as teddiursa.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 12:11:57 pm »

Does anyone know how to make a particular tissue layer thicker than normal? For example, to make something more muscular or fatter?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 12:16:26 pm »

Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS]
in SKIN, FAT, MUSCLE, BONE and CARTILAGE.
[BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:BODY:ARG3:50:ARG2:5:ARG1:1]
50, 5, 1 are relative thickness values. You have to make a separate body detail plan for your critter for it to work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 12:50:09 pm »

Drat, I was hoping it'd be easier than that.

Seagoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010, 02:24:20 pm »

The DL seems to be for v.2 rather than v.3?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 05:32:50 pm »

Drat, I was hoping it'd be easier than that.

It is.  You should just be able to use something like:
Code: [Select]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SKIN:SKIN_TEMPLATE]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:6]
Also known as Zuhayr.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2010, 06:14:49 pm »

Yeah, Lofn, good idea. I am just too used to make creature-specific plans :). It's not a very good habit.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 09:14:08 pm »

is there a way to get mewtwo to be [intelligent]  have a psi push dust attack
and have him(?) be a caste for mew? 
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8