Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarvemon 2010 v.6 - 101 Pokemon!  (Read 14987 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarvemon 2010 v.02 - Only 9 pokemon but it's a start!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 01:21:31 am »

You Dwarvemon people need to make pokemon a single creature and define all the pokemon in castes.
Why do they need to be all one caste? Not only would that single Pokemon entry be INCREDIBLY cluttered and hard to read, but there's always the off chance you slip up on caste selection and end up giving someone something they shouldn't have. Oh, and the embark screen would list Pokemon *gender*.

Not to mention, it would be FAR simpler to have them separate. I see no reason for them all to be the same 'pokemon' creature. That's like saying we should make dwarf a different caste of elf because they're humanoid.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarvemon 2010 v.02 - Only 15 pokemon but it's a start!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 01:34:07 am »

I think it might be so that different pokemon species can interbreed.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 03:26:08 am »

I want slowkips.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarvemon 2010 v.02 - Only 9 pokemon but it's a start!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 05:23:15 am »

You Dwarvemon people need to make pokemon a single creature and define all the pokemon in castes.
Why do they need to be all one caste? Not only would that single Pokemon entry be INCREDIBLY cluttered and hard to read, but there's always the off chance you slip up on caste selection and end up giving someone something they shouldn't have. Oh, and the embark screen would list Pokemon *gender*.

Not to mention, it would be FAR simpler to have them separate. I see no reason for them all to be the same 'pokemon' creature. That's like saying we should make dwarf a different caste of elf because they're humanoid.
A... what? They're not one caste. That's retarded. It's not even possible. Also, of course it shows pokemon gender. Every game shows pokemon gender. Not to mention that if you don't want pokemon gender you can just... not... define it?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 06:14:25 am »

A... what? They're not one caste. That's retarded. It's not even possible. Also, of course it shows pokemon gender. Every game shows pokemon gender. Not to mention that if you don't want pokemon gender you can just... not... define it?

Err, meant to say creature, whatever.
And what I meant by that was, is the embark screen will look like:
Pokemon *male*
Pokemon *female*
Pokemon *male*
Pokemon *female*
etc.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 02:09:35 pm »

No it won't. It will look like:

Blastoise *male*
Blastoise *female*
Charizard *male*
Charizard *female*
Pikachu *male
Pikachu *female*

I don't think you know how castes work.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

rtf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 03:57:17 pm »

Hello, turgidtoupee would like you to know that he's got more pokemon, but that his internet is temporarily dead so there's not much he can do about it (yet). Ta.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 04:02:04 pm »

You can set the names of castes easily with [CASTE_NAME:singular:plural:adjective].

Biomes, however, are not caste-level. And any male and females in that entire species entry can reproduce with any other to create any other. So your Male Pikachu and Female Charmeleon can reproduce and give birth to a Wailord because it's all in the same creature entry. You can offset the rarity of various species with POP_RATIO:X but that still doesn't mitigate it (hell, use that for shiny pokemon)

It's better to just throw them all in their own creature raws.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 03:00:57 am »

How about having a different creature type for each egg group?
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 03:20:09 am »

That would still give you things like Tyranitar breeding with a Dragonite and getting something like a Salamence out of it (for example).

Anyway, I wanna help, but with no computer of my own to use and no hope of getting one back soon, I'll have to wait.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 05:47:57 am »

I was thinking of a pokemon mod, go you!

Making charmander immune to heat? its [FIREIMMUNE] or [FIRE_IMMUNE] one of those.
this is going to be awesome
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 08:31:09 pm »

What tag do fire imps use to shoot fireballs? Those definitely set things on fire (as one of my early forts could attest to if everyone in it weren't dead.)
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2010, 09:24:16 pm »

They don't anymore. Volcanoes also only do falling damage.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 09:52:22 pm »

They do have [FIREBREATH], but my experiments have shown that to be useful for flashy pyrotechnics and nothing else.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2010, 10:27:40 am »

UPDATE! I have returned from the depths of no internet, bearing 50 pokemon. Things are generally working better all round. Do check out the new download.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8