Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Spider Overhaul (Version:0.12)  (Read 10013 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spider Overhaul (Version:0.12)
« on: April 06, 2010, 02:55:56 pm »

Version 0.12

This mod tries to create a more diverse, more fantasy and more accurate representation of spiders in the world of Dwarf Fortress. Anybody is allowed to use any of the contents to their hearts wishes, including in their own mods. Just don't forget to tell me.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2028

Right now, the mod has been
cancelled/put on hold.

If you've got any ideas to help me modify the existing, and create new spiders, by the hate of Armok, help me in my quest to make dwarf fortress that tiny eight-legged bit more awesome!

I love spiders.

Accurate Spider anatomy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spiders;

(Giant) Cave Spiders

Wolf Spiders

Sandman's Crawlers

(Giant) Trapdoor Spiders

To do:

Blade Spiders
Spider-Hybrid People(s)

Various fantastic spiders I have in mind, but of which I do not want to spoil the surprise.

Various Tropical Spiders, both normal(vermin)-sized and giant versions

Additions/ideas;

Turning the baby 'caste' into some form of egg/changing hatchlings to child stage.
Spider-people hybrids -- Adding burrowing Giant Trapdoor Spiders to the spider people as a caste (Probably won't work, can't add specific jobs to castes.)

Giant baby snatching spiders -- Probably give them a dummy civ, without allowed professions except for the babysnatcher. Let them inhibit caves, like kobolds do.

I finished green spiders/additions, I am working/still have changes coming on/for orange spiders/additions, and haven't done anything on red spiders/additions yet.

Put off

Memo to self; Centaurs

Ideas/credits;

- Erk
- Warlord255
- Deon
- Gobbo
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:46:23 pm by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spider Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:26:38 pm »

I've always wanted there to be some above-ground giant spiders... maybe less giant than the dreaded GCS, which should remain the granddaddy of giant spiders. I'd go for the dark green Great Leaf Spider of the broadleaf temperate forest, a bright orange Canopy Spider in the jungle - with an extremely deadly poison - and the webless Giant Wolf Spider of the plains, nearly as big as the GCS.

underground you could possibly add a few smaller spiders than the gcs, maybe something very poisonous with no webs and another with bladed legs like the blade spider in D&D....

My two cents. I'd love to see more spiders.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:30:10 pm »

Those sound pretty awesome.

I'm going to try and actually make some of those, thanks for inspiring me.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 03:42:04 pm »

If you can get the babies to be near-vermin in size, that'd be neat.

Try modding Phantom Spiders in a similar way?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:45:28 pm »

Awesome idea, Caesar. I think that you won't mind to be a part of the Genesis mod inspirators/helpers/developers?

I want to compile a list of credits for the next version so I hope you don't mind to be in. Also I hope you don't mind if your idea ends in the Genesis mod (with some tweaks) :).

Anyway, your mod is totally cool and nice.

Erk
I plan to add spiders to evil forests/jungles as I expand Genesis mod with new beasts, so thank you for reminding me anyway ;).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 03:49:27 pm »

Awesome idea, Caesar. I think that you won't mind to be a part of the Genesis mod inspirators/helpers/developers?

I want to compile a list of credits for the next version so I hope you don't mind to be in. Also I hope you don't mind if your idea ends in the Genesis mod (with some tweaks) :).

Anyway, your mod is totally cool and nice.

Erk
I plan to add spiders to evil forests/jungles as I expand Genesis mod with new beasts, so thank you for reminding me anyway ;).

I wouldn't mind, no, I would be honored.

Feel free to use whatever spiders I make however you see fit.

Memo to self; use preview to preview your post instead of saving, editing, saving and then editing a few million times.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:55:55 pm by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 04:13:11 pm »

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 05:15:13 pm »

Now give them a way to hold tools and let us cash in on these castes by founding Spider Fortresses.
Make a spider civ.
Let's do this.
My spiders will rule the world.
You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.

Pathos

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 05:22:13 pm »

Spoiler: Spider Web (click to show/hide)

Urgh, this used to happen every Autumn to all the trees by the power station near my house, since it'd been abandoned. The first time I saw it ( I was like eleven years old or something ) I thought it'd snowed heavily on these specific trees. Then I saw them swarming all over the trees and over the railing, which I'd been running my hand along.

Ever since, I've had nightmares of spiderlings swarming me in my bed and choking me to death with their webs.

:-[

Tripsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 05:42:41 pm »

yay spider! go caesar!

two came immediately to mind:

the trapdoor spider - a burrowing spider. i don't know if digging can be implemented for animals and the like, but the thought of one of these bursting into my dwarves' dining hall just fills me with delight.

the spider wasp - okay, so not a spider, but so dwarfy in it's nature....

i know the babysnatching token can't be used on animals (or so i believe), but i like the idea of a spider that sneaks into your fort to grab a tasty morsel... 

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 02:52:07 am »

I'm at school right now, which inhibits me making any progress, but I'll add some more ideas to my schedule anyways.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 03:19:30 am »

Memo to self; use preview to preview your post instead of saving, editing, saving and then editing a few million times.
Haha, it's my problem too.

Your spider tweaks go into .07 which is released shortly.

P.S. You may want to add [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE] to spiders' attacks. They have sharp mandibles after all. Without it they have real problems injecting their poison.

P.P.S. Argh, editing again :P. Anyway, why do you leave them with 2 eyes? Poor spiders should have more.

P.P.P.S. http://bugguide.net/node/view/84423
Just 1 family has 2 eyes... There're more eye-less spiders than with 2 eyes. I think 8 eyes should be fine.

Code: [Select]
[BODY:8EYES_SPIDER]
[BP:LEYE:left big eye:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL][CATEGORY:EYE][LEFT]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:30]
[BP:LEYE:right big eye:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL][CATEGORY:EYE][RIGHT]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:30]
[BP:LEYE1:first left eye:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL][CATEGORY:EYE][LEFT]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:5]
[BP:LEYE2:second left eye:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL][CATEGORY:EYE][LEFT]
[BP:LEYE3:third left eye:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL][CATEGORY:EYE][LEFT]
[BP:REYE1:first right eye:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL][CATEGORY:EYE][RIGHT]
[BP:REYE2:second right eye:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL][CATEGORY:EYE][RIGHT]
[BP:RYE3:third right eye:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL][CATEGORY:EYE][RIGHT]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:31:45 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 03:41:22 am »

So DL'ing this when Spidermen come out.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 03:46:22 am »

They go into Genesis mod :P. And all credits for Caesar's changes and ideas go to Caesar (unexpected, right?).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 03:47:53 am »

OH MY GOD DEON WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING YOU NEARLY GAVE ME A FUCKING HEART ATTACK OMFG

kidding.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: [1] 2 3