Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Caste questions...  (Read 2878 times)

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
Re: Caste questions...
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 11:43:36 pm »

ahh i mixed up tags then by mixing up what you asked XD

copied from creature_standard and the note inside it
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
only simply put it in the specific caste. no one tested this specific question of yours but i'm fairly sure it'll work, specially that some of my own mods might depend on it.

i seem to be glued to the forums and never pass a second on the game and files itself tho >.>

edit: yes it did work, i placed [SPEED:1] into the male dwarfs only and they gotten speed boost while females did not.
if i could place that tag instead of a body modification then any tag can be placed into a specific caste.  need tile testing as i already seen some others test blood. might need to test attacking but there's age separation so that likely not need to be tested.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:59:46 am by soul4hdwn »

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 07:19:53 pm »

bump to get result above noticed and to ask a different question.

is it possible to give separate caste specific jobs or leadership positions?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 09:17:45 pm »

Leadership positions, yes.  It's a bit of a hacky workaround, but Knight Otu apparently managed to get it working:

Quote from: Knight Otu
The one way I found to restrict entity positions beyond the [GENDER] tag is by adding a creature class to the caste(s) in question and in the entity position, use the [ALLOWED_CLASS] tag(s), which I had to use since gender only seems to take male and female, rather than castes (There is also an [ALLOWED_CREATURE] tag, but I haven't worked out yet how it works. There are also [REJECTED_...] equivalents for those two tags). For antmen, however, the gender tag should suffice, as the queen is the only true female in the species.

Basically, give your caste a [CREATURE_CLASS:WHATEVER] in the caste definition, then use [ALLOWED_CLASS:WHATEVER] in the position definition to restrict it to just that creature class.

Caste specific jobs are a no-no, though.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:22:28 pm by Lofn »
Also known as Zuhayr.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 10:25:21 pm »

thats reassuring to know tho i'll have to test to see how bad of a no-no it is with my own tests, thanks

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 02:05:52 pm »

What happens if you have a civ where one gender is intelligent and the other is not? Does that work? Do you still get breeding pairs?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 05:35:16 pm »

Bumping a little the thread to know :

it seems it is possible to have caste specific jobs :
Code: [Select]
[PERMITTED_JOB:MINER]
[ALLOWED_CLASS:LITTLE]
(trying to test it, right not ... can't gen a world: blocked at "making cave civilizations" ....)

But, is there any way to specify some weapons/armor/clothing to only one specific caste ?
Is ther eany way to specify military jobs to only one specific caste ?

(I'm trying to do a 3-castes gob-orc nation, with only orc for efficient melee fighters, willl post it, if i get it to work ... but need help, for now...)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:21:21 pm by tompliss »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 06:44:40 pm »

That's the issue; just what does a size of, say, 78000 (3000 + 15000 + 60000) mean in comparison to what it did before? I'm assuming it's basically the same as [SIZE:7.8], except the old [SIZE] tag didn't (doesn't) support decimals.

years:days:size at that age - in cubic centimetres (or millilitres if you prefer)

Most animals tend to be around as dense as water, so the size ROUGHLY indicates their weight in grams. Drop off three noughts to get their weight in kg, and six to get it in tonnes - so a human is about 70kg, and a fullgrown dragon is around 25 tonnes, if memory serves. A bronze collossus is of course, much heavier - about 6-8 grammes/cc

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 04:31:56 am »

Bumping a little the thread to know :

it seems it is possible to have caste specific jobs :
Code: [Select]
[PERMITTED_JOB:MINER]
[ALLOWED_CLASS:LITTLE]
(trying to test it, right not ... can't gen a world: blocked at "making cave civilizations" ....)

But, is there any way to specify some weapons/armor/clothing to only one specific caste ?
Is ther eany way to specify military jobs to only one specific caste ?

(I'm trying to do a 3-castes gob-orc nation, with only orc for efficient melee fighters, willl post it, if i get it to work ... but need help, for now...)

Unfortunately, my testing so far seems to indicate that ALLOWED_CLASS doesn't work with PERMITTED_JOB.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 01:17:18 am »

I'm confused... If I have a creature with several different castes... Such as DRAGON: Caste Red, Caste Blue, Caste Green... Will they breed with each other and create random colors? If so is there a way I can just have Green Dragons breed with Green Dragons and Red with Red while still being part of the same entity/group?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 01:47:52 am »

I'm confused... If I have a creature with several different castes... Such as DRAGON: Caste Red, Caste Blue, Caste Green... Will they breed with each other and create random colors?
breed yes, random colors no. colors are set by appearance modifiers.  caste births are random based on pop ratios you may or may not have given them.
If so is there a way I can just have Green Dragons breed with Green Dragons and Red with Red while still being part of the same entity/group?
that will work the same except then you'd have to make them complete races instead of castes.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2010, 06:50:15 am »

I've made a 3 castes nations, and the only one used, in fortress mode, is the last one ...
Is there any way to change it ?

[EDIT 1] Going to Legend mode, to see a city with gobs, I saw mine :
There was all the castes, but it didn't used the graphics of the different castes !

So, new question :
Any way to have different symbols/characters, to represent the different castes ?
[EDIT 2] : CASTE_TILE, obviously ... -_-

[EDIT 3] Here again !
So I put the Allowed and rejhected class to the positions, as it :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But none of them work :
The expedition leader has the same, but was a "Big", and I could designate the bookkeeper as a "Little"...

Any way to make it work ?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:02:06 am by tompliss »

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2010, 10:50:27 am »

I'm guessing (based on soul4hdwn's post) that the answer will be "no", but is it possible to control what castes can mate with what castes, and what their offspring are?

Because I was thinking of allowing some of the sentient races to inter-breed, by treating them as different castes of the same creature.  E.g. a human (male), human (female), elf (male), elf (female), halfelf (male), halfelf (female), etc castes, with a human male + elf female (and vice versa) mating producing a halfelf.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2010, 04:11:39 pm »

Nope. All you can do is change which castes can produce children at all, by giving them [MALE] or [FEMALE].

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2010, 06:22:37 pm »

Nope. All you can do is change which castes can produce children at all, by giving them [MALE] or [FEMALE].

Ah, shame.

You could do some pretty neat stuff otherwise, like the afformentioned crossbreeding, or having particular bloodlines with particular abilities, or even some sort of quasi-evolution.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]