Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228496 times)

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have found a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
which then proceeded to find an underground cavern for me.

What are these? Just random staircases like the ones leading to the circus? Or are they just ways of connecting the caverns?
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is the Dungeon Keeper, and what does he do?
Also did the mod come with an already fixed dungeon master/removed PET_EXOTIC tags to allow for exotic training?
Hello.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes the mod comes with 'fixed' exotics.

The dungeon master is a figurehead spot I think.  You can appoint him but he doesnt actually do anything till he's brought back properly in vanilla DF.

Im assuming deon has sidestepped this for now by removing exotic tags.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Did you misspell Wendigo? I just got attacked by two Vendigos :P
Oops, my bad.. For now they are renamed blizzard men; once I make proper Wendigos for Shadowrun mod, I will change them.

A gigantic dog may be quite big, that must be the reason why it won.

I was just fine with regular bolts, but the guys start shooting fire bolts and this little mandrake problem just shit all over my crops, my metalsmith, and my fort in general.
I'm not really okay with liasons being able to retaliate with fire of all things in my fortress, and yes those are un-made stone traps, I even had the war dogs ready waiting for some nice chains at the entrance.
I will now hunt down, and extinct mandrills.

humm, that should teach me to build my water-execution chambertrade post with fire hydrant seperately from the fort it self. And to fragment the fort with multi-z-level passways...

This kind of tragedy wouldn't have happened had I been aware that in genesis the caravan guards could actually summon, and shoot fire bolts.

Think of it as the HFS of Genesis mod, and boy, was it fun.

That layer is essentially the butchery and farming layer, besides having good traffic through outside light for fighting cave adaptation, it prevents miasma if the corpse/butcher should get overloaded with stuff, and to the right is a dug out mountainside with my underground crops, so prepared meat and refuse goes outside with the food supplies.
Welp, I removed fireballs from obsidian dwarves for the same reason. The guy could be an aspid dwarf, and their rare bites make enemies to combust with fire. It's rare enough for me :).

Could I make orcs playble in fortress mode without having to worry about the game explodding?
Maybe some day I will feel the need and get time to make other races interesting to play too. Right now you can make them playable, but they lack the most of the stuff which is added by this mod.

'Harmless Minnows' + Genesis Newbie

First fortress lost because of them. Fun times :)

Still confused by the 'Yeomans', but thanks for the help.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed that bit by accident.
Hehehe, yeah. Welcome to "DF: Deadly Fish and Water-dodging Dwarves" edition :P.

I have tuned so the elephants [GRAZER:32] can survive in a soil-layer cave. But pretty useless as war elephants because of the grazing requirement.
(giant moose female 38, male 30) ok i can adjust some, 34 new "max grazing" incl mammoth
I'm glad these values have been improved. But why leave it so war elephants are still very impractical? Is there a reason you feel it should remain that way? Personally, I think grass would still play an important role even if grazers required half (or less) of the grass they do now (such as by doubling all values).
Okay, I think I will lower grazing requirements. There's such thing like "Fun", and war elephants are a part of it, so I think its a good decision.

My two cents: I do not follow the logic of this. I find renaming these to be downright confusing. And imagine how confused newbies will be. Renaming creatures to be a surprise is one thing, but renaming the types of humanoid warriors with weapons?  ??? In real life one could tell just at a glance why type they are from the size and type of weapon they're carrying. I think sometimes simplicity trumps flavor...
I really wanted this "flavor" change, because I wanted keepers to be closer to "fantasy knights/templar", and we cannot specify their armor decorations and stuff like that yet, so the profession name change was the easiest tweak (at least because many "types" or "classes" are associated with specific weapons).
That was a logic you asked for. As for a general decision: you will be mostly confused only when you play adventure mode, keeper edition. And it's not that often. And if it is, then you've probably already learned what is what.

Yes, I thought gator mounts were a little silly as well.
What? Alligators are quite fast... And THINK OF AGARES!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agares
Gator mounts are awesome.

As for specific animals... I thought of scaly firebreathing kangaroo for evil areas :). Also a "demon duck of doom" sounds fancy, but how are you supposed to read the items which are made out of it?

Okay, guys, good news: I have some free time to hang out with dudes and make some shashlik near my house, in a small park. That's like, wow. I haven't got enough free time for a good walk lately, let alone an "outdoors party" like that. I think making shashliks outside in Russia is like grilling in USA. So it's a pretty common outdoors event (which I rarely take a part of :P).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Getting pissed off by fire breathers, tell me ALL of the things besides dragons that shoot/breathe fire so I can just remove them until my dwarves learn to fucking duck & roll or something.

Also holy SHIT Dragon Raptors are more badass to my dwarves than they were in swarms to my adventurer, but then again getting ganged up on like that usually does end badly for the DORFS.

Also, the file locations for these would be a big help too, mainly the name of the raw files.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:45:07 am by ETV »
Hello.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Getting pissed off by fire breathers, tell me ALL of the things besides dragons that shoot/breathe fire so I can just remove them until my dwarves learn to fucking duck & roll or something.
Also, the file locations for these would be a big help too, mainly the name of the raw files.
Firebreath tag is in dragon and...

I have found a curved downward slope which then proceeded to find an underground cavern for me.
What are these? Just random staircases like the ones leading to the circus? Or are they just ways of connecting the caverns?
If you found it as adventurer, then lucky you! A fine adventure!
If in fort mode, then it's relatively common natural cave tunnel (not sure of official name), maybe 1 in 20 embarks.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:39:42 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EDIT; I'm not sure whether I did something wrong or not but it appears a saved embark set-up has corrupted (or something along those lines), previously I had embarked with 0 Points left on the last embark and now with the new embark using a saved set-up turtles became unavailable and furthermore I couldn't afford my 2 Mastiffs (which I found were easily trained to war dogs for only a very small time investment compared to straight up buying the mastiff war dogs).

Most concerning about it was that I didn't get refunded for these missing items!
It could be you are embarking from a different dwarf civilisation that doesn't have access to the metals your first civ did.  So first time round you were embarking with a cheap copper pick/axe/anvil and now you're being forced to take a steel one as they don't have copper.  I think you can choose your embark civ when choosing your fortress location, I think it defaults to the closest one to your location though, not too sure.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

It could be you are embarking from a different dwarf civilisation that doesn't have access to the metals your first civ did.  So first time round you were embarking with a cheap copper pick/axe/anvil and now you're being forced to take a steel one as they don't have copper.
Yep, that has happened many times to me. Especially those releases where Tetrahedrite didn't exist.
And I've increased the value of copper to 7, since It Becomes Armor. Remember, masked helmets protect more than any other helmets!

Today's release... almost all common_domestic are war animals now, for fun, and they don't need to eat.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.25dTT_Ironhand__WarDomestics_June12.zip
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:16:12 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

recluser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If this came up earlier I apologise but it's kinda driving me crazy..

Mind teling me where did you get the song that starts around 4.20 and goes to about 7.10 in the ''song.title.ogg''?

I know I've heard that song before (and quite a couple of times) but simply can't place it.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

Deon said: "The menu music is from Ultima Online, the fortress music is from Warcraft 2. " many moons ago. (I don't listen to them or to the soundsense add-on, I use chillout shoutcast webradio)

Related: Check the Ultima IV and V 8-bit musics on Youtube: Kenneth Arnold is a great composer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psk3IG0N7T4
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:23:00 pm by TomiTapio »

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile

I haven't been getting any caravans from the mountainhome in a while.
There's a king and general but no caravan.
No migrants arrived this year, either. But my population is rather high for my second year.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this hasn't happened to me while using vanilla DF. Could it be a bug, or just bad luck?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:35:32 pm by Mr. Dwarfinton »

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, I thought gator mounts were a little silly as well.
What? Alligators are quite fast... And THINK OF AGARES!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agares
Gator mounts are awesome.
First: I don't think Agares is a good example. You're referring to obscure occult mythology. He's a Duke of demons ruling a part of Hell who likes to ride a crocodile. That's a lot of supernatural.

That said, I admit the concept of gator mounts does sound awesome. It would be bad @$$. However, as Tomi pointed out, they have very short legs. They are, indeed, capable of tremendous bursts of speed. But only in short duration. For prey on land, alligators rely on ambush techniques to catch their prey unawares. (They use their powerful muscles to spring onto prey in an ambush, like a coiled snake.) Often, they hide in the water and wait for critters like wild hogs, deer, dogs, big cats, and bears to come to the water to drink. But they also prey on fish, turtles, and other creatures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alligator
Although alligators have a heavy body and a slow metabolism, they are capable of short bursts of speed, especially in very short lunges. Alligators' main prey are smaller animals that they can kill and eat with a single bite. Alligators may kill larger prey by grabbing it and dragging it into the water to drown.

Even assuming they can run long distances at great speed (which is only half true), they'd be in danger of having their belly rubbed raw or torn open from scraping (with great force) against rocks and such if burdened by a heavy rider - esp. one in metal armor, weapon, shield, and provisions. It would be very uncomfortable or even hazardous to the gator. Short legs do not make for good mounts.

Case in point: Consider the Gharial crocodile in India:
The leg musculature of the gharial does not enable it to raise its body off the ground to achieve the high-walk gait on land, but can only push its body forward across the ground ('belly-sliding'), although it can do this with some speed when required. However, when in water, the gharial is the most nimble and quick of all the crocodilians in the world.

If you want a "gator" that badly which would realistically make for a decent mount, consider adding a crocodylomorph - an extinct relative of modern crocodilia with longer legs. For example, while the legs are still rather short, the Allodaposuchus had legs which were much longer than modern gators. At least it could walk on land without scraping it's belly. Even better, consider adding an extinct member of the crurotarsi daughter clade. Specifically, the Saurosuchus (a rauisuchian) and the Hesperosuchus (a sphenosuchian) still resemble gators, while clearly having long legs. If they could be tamed, I'd say they'd make excellent mounts. Perhaps you could call it a "Land Gator" or something and treat it like an amphibious land shark?

As for specific animals... I thought of scaly firebreathing kangaroo for evil areas :). Also a "demon duck of doom" sounds fancy, but how are you supposed to read the items which are made out of it?
A scaly, fire-breathing kangaroo sounds cool. 8) Though, from recent complaints about fire-breathing creatures, I imagine adding yet another fire-breather will perturb some players. (Frost or paralysis breath, maybe?)
As for the "Demon Duck of Doom": Yes, that would be a mouthful. Perhaps, instead, you could call it a "demonic duck" (a reference to a character in the El Goonish Shive web comic) or "doom duck"? (There's something both humorous and scary about a duck with horns...)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:17:08 pm by Thundercraft »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this hasn't happened to me while using vanilla DF. Could it be a bug, or just bad luck?
Just bad luck, my today-raws dorf caravan arrived on time. Have you have many citizen die? That deters migrants sometimes. And if you have somehow managed to piss off the parent civ, then points to you.

Edit: How the "all animals are war trained" do vs. kobbo thief:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:51:04 pm by TomiTapio »

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doing great on a fort building up population for a while, suddenly my best miners and woodcutters decide to HURF DURF NEED SILK PRODUCTS FOR ARTIFACT I'd previously tried digging down and searching various directions (100 z-levels worth) in search of just one God damn cavern with silk in it but none turned up, later one asked for plant cloth a season before I could plant pig tails, and to top it off I got 3 Ambushes in a row after lowering my bridge to clear the entire map of foragable fauna in hopes of but a single rope reed, and not a shit was given by my biome that day.

Stupid ass demands for artifacts are just killing decent workers now.

It's fun to lose by getting sieged or something, but slow decay from spoiled midgets is god awful.
Hello.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile

Just bad luck, my today-raws dorf caravan arrived on time. Have you have many citizen die? That deters migrants sometimes. And if you have somehow managed to piss off the parent civ, then points to you.

Only three died, and I my fort just attracted zero migrants again.
I should probably get started on making more things, I just have cages set to full blast for traps.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 642