Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228268 times)

TheIcelandicManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well i was forced with my game to wait 10 years and i only had 1 dwarf left but the massive army took time for me to come.
i have noidea what happend and why it happend but i just had to wait for a long time(+ side is that the FPS is around 100 at the time  :P)
Urist McHappy has entered a fit of euphoria!
Urist McHappy hugs the Fish Cleaner in the upper body, jamming his love through the brain and warming his callous heart!
The Fish Cleaner has been taught the value of friendship!
Sigged

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Adventurers that got lost in the deep caverns, went insane, and now want to do fun things with your dwarves. (Aren't actually adventurers, just regular mobs from the deep)
how much effort do you need to kill one? for i have 2 on screen right now and i only remember from PlumpHelmetPunks comment in one of his advenutres .
Lost Adv are about as fierce as one lion or troglodyte, they should die quickly to axes. But as they are insane half-mummified aggressors, their poison(rotten flies) is NASTY. So send "the expendable lye makers union Squad" to kill them. Oh and if you have older version of Genesis, their "3000% paralysis" will stop dorfs from breathing. That paralysis makes them kill more than two dragons combined :´)  (aspids and steelers are immune)

How do you make it end now because its a succession game and we aren't getting migrants any time soon if the siege doesnt end we also have 16 dwarves left.
I have no idea. Maybe put a squad to patrol the outdoors in a circle, see if they detect anyone (I don't think stealthers show up in unit list). Check all pools (drain them) incase there is a hostile ninja in there. But, nice to have a different year "only 16 citizens, mystery cloud of doom surrounds us".

Thinking of adding some quality (value x3) fish into the mod, as 5 tiger spleens can cost like 50, and 5 codfish cost 10.
I think I'll try a mostly-domples fort now, see what kind of professions they arrive with. [1st try: Galena-only place. 2nd try... 5 domp 2 stone, awful bad at foraging... we have one celery!]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hmm 4 of 11 are non-domples, when I set domple ratio from "22" to "722". (stone has 160)
Oh boy it makes you appreciate masons and carpenters more when most of your citizens are cloud-gazers!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:52:45 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Another fort down to the dust :D.

I've noticed that one of my posts was sigg'd but anyway here are somethings I've seen.

1. On the surface of the land, my miner was digging out channels and tunnels in a blanked mire zone, suddenly (or intentionally...) I caused a cave in of blanked mire, and in the reports it states that the miner was hit by something like magma mist or cloud or something, that was also with the blanked mire dust cloud :/. Couldn't get the exact information because of my other mistake which lead to the above.

2. Just after the above, I accidentally ordered my men to kill a dwarven merchant. It ended well with the color red.

A few seconds after that, I get barraged by red messages of dwarves killing dwarves, everyone was killing everyone who was killing everyone elses pets!

Strangely, mostly my dwarves were ecstatic, just as they were before the carnage started, their view screens were normal (not enemy like), yet those in the military couldn't follow orders and were killing off the rest of my wonderful people and each other.

The hospital was filled with moaning and groaning dwarves, who were ALSO trying to kill each other...

And my war pets (tigers, lions and the like...) were the only ones keeping a sane mind. The only ones not killing each other, only those crazy dwarves...

Even my Captain of the Guard and her associate who were best friends dueled to the death...

The only person who was sane enough to do something was a Medic who got knocked out at the start of it all and was ignored completely in the piles of bodi-...junk in the hospital.

I then decided to abandon it all, my people looked normal yet were crazy on the inside...That was where my fort died off. All because of a simple mis-click.
---

The reason I'm saying all this is, are those mentioned above bugs? (The one about the blanked mire was a BIG surprise)

EDIT: Isn't Deon working on this anymore? The Genesis mod must continue from the creators, it adds reality to the already real DF! (And good work on mostly everything, It was hard finding my way through all the new things but I loved it to the bitter, bloody end)

EDIT II: I decided to continue it, the sole survivor was the Captain of the Guard, she killed mostly everyone and single-handedly staved off a Goblin siege, including their general. I left it at that.

*Sorry if my sentences are wrong in grammar, English isn't my first language.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:58:47 am by Tiruin »

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1.  Cave ins always cause dust I think, this usually knocks dwarves out.  He could have been hit by the collapsing roof too though.

2. By killing a dwarf merchant you started a loyalty cascade.  The merchant is a member of your civilisation so his killer became a hostile to your dwarves.  However he is still a member of your civ, so the dwarf that kills him becomes a hostile.  And so on and so on, I think the only way to finish it is by cutting off contact to the killers until they wipe each other out, or you only have one dwarf left like you do :D  It's a vanilla thing anyway.

I think Deon is in the middle of exams at the moment so Genesis is taking a back seat at the moment for him.  Tomi is doing a lot though.

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1.  Cave ins always cause dust I think, this usually knocks dwarves out.  He could have been hit by the collapsing roof too though.

2. By killing a dwarf merchant you started a loyalty cascade.  The merchant is a member of your civilisation so his killer became a hostile to your dwarves.  However he is still a member of your civ, so the dwarf that kills him becomes a hostile.  And so on and so on, I think the only way to finish it is by cutting off contact to the killers until they wipe each other out, or you only have one dwarf left like you do :D  It's a vanilla thing anyway.

I think Deon is in the middle of exams at the moment so Genesis is taking a back seat at the moment for him.  Tomi is doing a lot though.

yes hes got exams but he is focusing on his shadowrun mod

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

I don't quite know what to add next to the "cutting-edge Genesis". Should I post my list of maybe-todos and get your opinions on them? Are some animals/beasts too common for you?
Could make a roles-reversed edition where the evils are your pals and the elves and humans are the enemies.. experiences inside those worlds would result in fine-tuning the civs' items and skills.
Perhaps I should spend an hour copying WinMerging my current ascii changes back to Ironhand side.

DF Talk 14 is out but its transcript not yet at http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_talk_combined_transcript.html

Maybe the "magma dust" you saw on cave-in was my new Migmatite (granite-folded-into-gneiss pretty stone). http://www.graniteland.com/stone/type/migmatite
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:30:55 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

About the first, what was above the tile I was mining was JUST Blanked Mire, nothing there but Blanked Mire, perfect surprise. It caved in and *WHOOSH* Magma mist along with the dusty mire.

Of the second, I never knew that...I checked a while later and even when the migrants arrived (yes, migrants arrived even if the dwarven caravan escaped with all the nice news) the survivor slaughtered them all, living on the vast food stores left behind. That is where I truly gave up since I couldn't mine my way to delicious cotton candy.

Could someone put up that info about the loyalty cascade in the wiki? I use the wiki but never to spoil. Just to see what I did wrong.

And thanks for answering my questions :)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

Ok I put loyalty cascade to http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Trading#Destruction

Bah domplefort crashed a 2nd time, after told squad to pick up their newly-made iron mails. Abandon tropical forests place (galena goethite siderite nocaves). Ohwell, got wood colours adjusted, ebony now darkgray and yellowsatinwood (worse than satinwood) is yellow now. Reduced rattlesnake population.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. On the surface of the land, my miner was digging out channels and tunnels in a blanked mire zone, suddenly (or intentionally...) I caused a cave in of blanked mire, and in the reports it states that the miner was hit by something like magma mist or cloud or something, that was also with the blanked mire dust cloud :/.

Maybe the "magma dust" you saw on cave-in was my new Migmatite (granite-folded-into-gneiss pretty stone). http://www.graniteland.com/stone/type/migmatite

I'm guessing that the message you saw was actually "boiling magma". And, yes, cave-ins cause dust clouds that stun creatures nearby. When a cave-in occurs, the dust cloud it generates gives a message about "boiling magma". The game mislabels the rock dust as such - it's not actually magma and it's not hot. This is a known "bug" in vanilla. (See the "Melting obsidian" subsection of the DF2010 Talk:Obsidian wiki page for details.)

Afromullet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Is it possible to view the castes with Dwarf Therapist? That would make assigning labors fitting with the castes much quicker.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it possible to view the castes with Dwarf Therapist? That would make assigning labors fitting with the castes much quicker.
I think you'd have to post to the Bay12 Dwarf Therapist forum thread or the official udpviper.com Dwarf Therapist forum thread and make the suggestion to add the ability to view castes. Dwarf Therapist is an independent utility and - as far as I'm aware - the Genesis mod folks don't have much to do with it. BTW: I seem to recall reading that Dwarf Therapist may have a few issues with modded games as it was designed primarily to work with plain vanilla DF. But I also seem to recall that better support for mods (Genesis in particular) has been requested repeatedly (and on their to-do list).

I don't quite know what to add next to the "cutting-edge Genesis". Should I post my list of maybe-todos and get your opinions on them? Are some animals/beasts too common for you?
Posting a list of possible maybe-todos and having us vote on them sounds like a good idea.
Personally, I have a few suggestions:

1) Since Genesis has much more content than vanilla, instead of adding more creatures and stuff perhaps you'd consider removing a few things from the vanilla raws? Specifically, I do not see much purpose in the bloat of such a huge variety of insects, songbirds, and run-of-the-mill vermin. (The "fly" in creature_insects.txt, for example.) They're not a threat to adventurers or dwarves. Nor do they provide much, if any, benefit if killed, captured, or made into pets. (They're too small to provide any edible organs, meat, bone, etc.) They're just there for "flavor". But I'd much prefer if some of these were removed to make room for more of the interesting and useful critters to randomly spawn and maybe it'd save a bit on FPS.

(Oh, and I see you've already increased the size of the rabbit from the vanilla 500 to a more useful and realistic 5000. Nice! I'll have to raise some and see if they'll give a bit of meat and bone now.)

2) I've suggested it before and I'll suggest it again: Why can't more creatures be given the [TRAINABLE] tag? For example, why can't an Alligator be trainable if the Monitor Lizard (and many others) are trainable? I did notice that you made the common Wolf trainable. (Nice! A number of folks have asked why vanilla DF isn't that way.) But I also noticed that the Ice Wolf is not trainable, even though it can be tamed into a pet...

3) Also, why can't more creatures be given the [MOUNT] tag? For example, both the Grizzly Bear and Black Bear are trainable, but only the Grizzly can be made into a mount. I understand that the Grizzly is much bigger (size 550,000) - a bit bigger than an adult horse (size 500,000), but the Black Bear is still sizable (size 320,000 or a bit larger than a Donkey or a large pony). And since a dwarf is usually a bit smaller than a human (60,000 vs. 70,000), it should be sufficient. (Although, I see that your custom Dwarves were made 70,000 to have a better chance in combat...)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

1) I see no point in removing some of the vermin, they will always be around, unless delete every single land vermin I guess. Might get tiny tiny fps increase if drop their speed to one third. The flies and little frogs are a design decision from Toady. Oh and sometimes they feed starving dwarves.
2) Hmm I usually leave the trainable/not trainable decisions to Deon. Indeed ice wolf is rare, only evil glacier and evil tundra. Gave them a speed definition now. Won't be trainable because they're evil.
3) Hmm hard to say; I especially hate the harmless Giant Cave Swallow, ridiculous that goblins ride them. Yeah black bear seems like a decent mount. I better up both bear speeds from default 900 to 800. Gator mounts seem a little silly, as they are slow-moving. And would you believe that in vanilla, almost no creature has natural skills or speed definitions!

Here's a few candidates from my pile of ideas:
A) baboons, on tropical savannah only (because saw them on the telly)
B) giant gremlins (basically a mischief-lever-pulling cave werewolf)
C) dire owl 40kg aggressive, raging
D) megaparrot semimegabeast
E) swamp stork 17kg, lake heron 17kg
F) kangaroos:    Black-flanked Rock-wallaby 5kg / brush-tailed rock wallaby 11kg,  4-9F 5-11M
   already have: Eastern Grey kangaroo 60kg, spd 800, Gangurru
   Red kangaroo max. 100 kg (220 lb) and 1.92 m (6.3 ft) tall.
   fictional giant roo, 6x, 550kg
G) fae-jaguar, a double-speed magical feline, better than speedy faedogs, great as royalty's pets
H) outdoors gelatinous cube swarm, a slow but deadly mega-enemy.
I) a lesser sandworm, so not every sandworm in the world is a 5 or 10 ton giant
J) a beast that area-secretes solid bone. Or leaves trail of it. (might turn out to be impossible to implement)
K) a water-poisoner beast, goes into your precious outdoor pools and always secretes a poison / other similar but outputs a freezing liquid, temporarily freezing your pond.
L) ten more tree species -- but you guys haven't even seen my current ones because they're not in official Deon-release
M) a horror creature, caste A common and leaves trail of oil, caste B uncommon, sets fire to oil trail. (might turn out to be impossible, or oil have no effect in grassy areas)

You can also private-message me which ones you vote for, if don't want to spam this uberlong thread.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:10:15 pm by TomiTapio »

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile

Is there somewhere I can get a version without tilesets? I tried to just delete the art in one of the tileset versions and made it not use graphics in the init, but now I can't see anyone's symbol. I guess I broke it. Can someone give me the run down?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I've stopped playing DF for a while but I'm going to play again so it's time for Genesis again ^^

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

Is there somewhere I can get a version without tilesets? I tried to just delete the art in one of the tileset versions and made it not use graphics in the init, but now I can't see anyone's symbol. I guess I broke it. Can someone give me the run down?
Just use the ASCII raws folder that I provide: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.25dTT_ASCII_Bonfires__newmineral_newwood_June1.zip (latest update)
Now updating my Ironhand raws... and also switching my in-development version to Ironhand.
Here's current Ironhand: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.25dTT_Ironhand_Bonfires__minerals_woods_June1.zip
Edit at 17:45, reuploaded for domple dorf frequency.

The mod seems quite nice, but I dislike graphics packs and the ASCII version is rather out of date. Is there a way I can manually change a graphics version to use ASCII?
It's a lot of tile changes, between ironhand and ascii. Every tree and plant and creature and workshop.
I provide the cutting-edge ascii version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.25dTT_ASCII_Bonfires__newmineral_newwood_June1.zip
probably most of my new things (animals, minerals, trees, balance tunings) will make it into the Official Genesis.
(install by installing the official ascii genesis, then replacing the raws folder with my raws folder. Or just use your existing .25 install and replace raws folder)

A fine starting crew:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:24:13 am by TomiTapio »
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 642