Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230738 times)

spriksprak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've already translated words starting from A and B. If you have some time, please help :).

Happy to help - I'll take Z up to U if that's ok. Might find some time for more later as well

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I usually make my combat dwarves useless menials who can easily be replaced so their mostly hauling/growing/cooking. This means i can make 2-4 weight sets and set the proper profiles then repeat armor/shield/dodging which is honestly the most important skills. While my entire melee army slowly skills up i use valuable combat dwarves with crossbows to deal with sieges and usually dont even use my melee dwarves till their in full suits of armor.

The true test comes when you simply cant afford to close your doors/bridges and then you must fight!

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the military training has nothing wrong with it at the moment, I had dwarves with legendary fighter and great axe skills in a year/year and a half.  I just have squads of 4 dwarves max, all training all the time, usually try and have at least one dwarf with military skills in there and have them all use the same weapon type.  I don't use any danger rooms or training workshops at all.  Don't assign them food, try not to be constantly making better armour and weapons for them as they will stop training to pick up the better item.  Then another dwarf will go to pick up the item the previous dwarf just dropped, etc etc.  Just remember traps are great to begin with, you can always dismantle them later if you want more challenge.  And there's nothing wrong with just turtling up and raising bridges and locking doors, it's pretty hard to beat a werewolf or centaur attack early on.  Use your trapped enemies for training purposes, just build cages, claim then dump their gear to make them fairly harmless, release the creatures by linking the built cages to a lever.

I got cocky after carving through a werewolf siege with zero casualties though, send my military out to deal with a centaur siege (that had already wiped out a goblin siege that appeared at the same map edge 5 seconds earlier) and had most of my military wiped out incredibly quickly.  I think this was a combination of super agile dwarves racing ahead of the rookies and getting outnumbered and them just getting knocked back and stunned by the larger centaurs though.  Kind of a rookie mistake :(  I can rebuild though, I now have a grigori illithid flying around my entrance along with two voidmasters who just won't come down to fight and keep interrupting all my dwarves trying to collect the corpses and gear.  Maybe I'll see if I can find some shroom dwarves and use them as haulers as Blackdutchie pointed out below.  I had a legendary marksdwarf/ambusher immigrant and he's been going out and shooting at them for ages, they are covered in wounds and stuck full of *tough werewolf bone bolts* but the buggers just won't die.  I even noticed in the combat log they collapsed but didn't fall to the ground.  Kind of getting annoying, they've been there for a couple of seasons now, other illithid ambushes have been wiped out and they still won't bugger off.

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile

Oh, it's not a problem, Deon—thank you so much for telling me how to fix it! As my sig might suggest, I am a bit of a sucker for werewolves so I was really excited about getting to play them. I'll report back on whether or not that works.

Now, for the thread, another perhaps bit of a newbie question: how in Armok's name do I get my f*cking verminhunters and other non-pastured animals to STAY THE HELL INDOORS? It's getting to the point where I'm taking 2+ breeding pairs along on embark and keeping one in a cage to breed purely because I know the rest are going to wind up horribly butchered by gargoyles or dire wolves or skeletal turkeys or what the hell ever. It is getting supremely frustrating.

I tried burrows (to keep the dwarves indoors), but I keep getting the bug where it just spams cancellation messages, so I am not sure what to do about that either, really. I am obviously not cut out for these exciting maps. :(

[edit] Oh, forgot to say—I am really digging your photos, Tomi! You are an awesome photographer, your work is just breathtaking. I especially love all the squirrels—have you ever thought about taming a bunch and releasing them to act as fort mascots? ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:47:53 pm by asfghn »
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

Just going through updating my files and... did you mean to remove Tetrahedrite from the ores?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

do I get my f*cking verminhunters and other non-pastured animals to STAY THE HELL INDOORS? It's getting to the point where I'm taking 2+ breeding pairs along on embark and keeping one in a cage to breed purely because I know the rest are going to wind up horribly butchered by gargoyles or dire wolves or skeletal turkeys or what the hell ever. It is getting supremely frustrating.
I tried burrows (to keep the dwarves indoors), but I keep getting the bug where it just spams cancellation messages
When burrows are enforced, try "o"rders menu "x" cycle to no-cancellation-messages.
I just keep every animal in pasture, unless they are war dogs/pigs/tigers. You might want to try doors that are set to "not pet passable". Youknow, doors that scare cats.

Wot no tetra? Then that's why some of my rolled worlds had no copper on embark! What has Deon been up to.
I'll make a new creature "spirit raven". They're bad luck for the hunters. (Maybe I'll make dingo-wolf, small roo, giant roo also.)

Deon, any word on the "burn fiber clothes to ash"? (7% chance of ash bar!)
And loom-workshop Recycle Silk, 5 silk items to one bolt of cloth.

Edit2: here's the spirit raven, super common for testing stage. Final ver, savage & freq14.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(edits a gfx for the raven and emails to Deon)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:18:33 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would imagine that the missing tetrahedrite is from when Deon was messing with all the ores, trying to make them all "Native" whatever, and forgot to put it back.  I added mine back in from phoebus's source files and it works fine.

spriksprak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi Deon - finished Z up to U where would you like the text - posted here or pm'ed or something?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I PM'd it to him

Did you make sure to pick the shortest valid word as much as possible?

ATR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has anyone tried out the Phoebus 3.24b? Many of the graphics are messed up, like rat vermin as unmined gem icon, I have a tree inside a cage (supposed to be goblin thief), Baobab tree looks like unminded yellow stone icon, etc. I was playing from the Ironhand and then moved my save over to Phoebus when it was available, but I don't think that should cause it.

Oh, I've also been meaning to ask about *CLT* in buildings. It seems way overboard, currently in my craftdwarf workshop a dwarf is working on 4 donkey bones and the shop says its *CLT* in red colour. Normally, such as in the carpentor and mason workshop, it takes quite a few items to start getting the CLT message in different colours depending on amount.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:08:16 pm by ATR »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's a bug. Such amazing things as Giant 2nd toe, right foot will fill up workshops quickly.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

spriksprak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I PM'd it to him

Did you make sure to pick the shortest valid word as much as possible?

yeah where at all possible - don't think there were too many big ones, though one monster was unwelcome - konomashikarazarujimbutsu! So that got changed, cheers though.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Geez... that's quite a mouthful

Some kind of fighting style?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Has anyone tried out the Phoebus 3.24b? Many of the graphics are messed up, like rat vermin as unmined gem icon, I have a tree inside a cage (supposed to be goblin thief), Baobab tree looks like unminded yellow stone icon, etc. I was playing from the Ironhand and then moved my save over to Phoebus when it was available, but I don't think that should cause it.
I'm afraid you have Ironhand raws in your save folder, which refer to the tiles of the ironhand charset. You could try to fix it by A) put Genesis phoebus raws there and hope there's no crashing or B) doing 200+ which-tile changes to your raws so they match the Phoebus raws.
Or maybe the Phoebus ver hasn't been playtested and Deon didn't quite finish making the Phoebus ver.

ps. Finished Dragon Age 2 with a pro-apostate female archer. 51 hours.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Off-topic: Why does everybody use female characters? From female characters in MMORPGs and plain ol' offline RPGs, to dorf requests in succession forts and adventurers.
Not that I don't do it myself, though...  :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 642