Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228875 times)

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.11 ϟ] - a GrandFix
« Reply #2865 on: September 01, 2010, 03:06:14 pm »

Illithid swordsmen come with 2 shields.(and no swords, just like the name indicates ;) )

Very Dwarfy.  If a shield makes you harder to hit, 2 shields makes you invulnerable!

I am sure that came up before , and it's teh handles that are wood, but the blades are actually rock, and hit like rock.

So related to combat effectiveness does it matter more what the blade is made from or what they use for the handle? I'm trying to decide if I should try and set up custom stock piles so they only pull from certain materials (as best I can force it) when making these or if it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Pretty sure it doesn't matter too much what the handle is made from, but occasionally they do hit the bad guys with the hilt... Not that important though.
Diggy diggy hole.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2866 on: September 01, 2010, 04:36:06 pm »

I am still trying to figure out HOW it is possible, that fort with 67 dwarves(cap at 60) and dozens of animals + 3 different civs siege + 1 megabeast(actually kicked to death by nords) is working with 78 fps on 1.6 ghz feeble laptop c2d with fsb 533.

Maybe... being walled in makes for quicker pathfinding? Are you having a 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4 embark? How many idlers?
Check out my FPS data at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:System_requirements/Archived_reports
eg. "68 fps, 4x4 embark, 57 citizens, 13+65 animals, 3 cavern layers (all opened and magma sea). 1,11 M wealth. 3600 stones."

- i am building isolated, perfectly unreachable fort
- i am cutting as much wood as i can before first stupid Elves show, wood is main problem in isolated fort, even with emergncy green terrain reservoir, especially, if caravanas are not able to get into
- elephants in current version are like cheat, imo - they are breeding like rabbits, giving GIGANTIC amount of meat - few of these and we can earn dozens of thousands of cash, it is ridiculous!, not to mention using dozens of restrained war elephants in narrow corridors(lol).
Do you have drawbridges as big huge actually-lockable door?
How many cage traps do you use?
Do you open up the caverns for wood and plant-gathering and hunting?

Elephants... do they have 4-8 babies per year?
Capturing and taming wild animals is plentiful meat too, or breeding cows and pigs. Actually rabbits should become adult in half a year but that's not possible in DF. Minor bug that animals don't need to eat, and dwarves eat very little.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: September 01, 2010, 04:37:58 pm »

Yet another weird ass action
WoodBurned cooked out a nice gargoyle leather braies with "hopeless slaves"
minutes after

2 flying iths and 2 nightwings vs 1 masstiff 2 mammoths and one axedwarf fighting on a unfinished castle part.

Animal trainer, member of AASoRPoC (Anonymous Assholes Standing on Remote Parts of Castle) suicidal group suddenly got hit by a Ith, fought bravely but fell from the top of the wall on still unfinished floor below, Gets beaten by both ith and NW. NW rips his head away. Rated H for Hilarious.
Castle's only not-yet-braindead defender is still collecting items, nightwings start fighting the mammoths. Mammoths hold the line (like always) but can't kill their opponents. Axedwarf comes in axes blazing and its over in seconds. Rated M for Meh.
In the meantime 2 iths gang up on a single mastiff. They apparently can't do anything to him, merely breaking his rib. The dog manages to latch one the ith-commander and keeps shaking him around for good few minutes. When the axedwarf comes in to help, one ith is dead and other is fleeing in panic. Every single barrel in the foodpile is now either frozen over or covered in slimy liquid. The dog happily barks after noticing his axemaster.

Only one dead dwarf, one totally mutiliated ith and two trashed and decapitated Nightwings with pieces all around and many weird liquids now engraved onto forts granite walls. The False Hex and it's High Stake dwarf group will both live to see another caravan get trashed by an ambush.
Rated AL for Awesome Lols

edit2: I like how second part of my fort's name is The False Hex, and the ith guy that sprayed his blood all over the alcohol barrels, walls and every common bed, dwarfs named HexMerged. They sure know how to humiliate their enemies.

Edit3: The trapper breaks the grip of outpost mind's upper tentacle on The trappers left testicle. Deon, you are a very filthy man,lol.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:57:33 pm by Z1000000m »

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: September 01, 2010, 05:29:08 pm »

Maybe... being walled in makes for quicker pathfinding? Are you having a 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4 embark? How many idlers?
hm, being walled is not only thing there, imo. i am using 3x3 embark, always(but it did not helped me with fps in earlier df versions)..
restricting used area on map by walls may have its effect too, but since dwarves are not puking everywhere now(as it was in 0.28's) i tend to use overground terrain as part of natural caves(i hope you know what i mean) - i.e. for storage.
life area is quite dense, and typical - but i started to use 3-tile-wide main corridors and it HAD significant effect. for rarely used corridors 2-wide-tile space is used.

Do you have drawbridges as big huge actually-lockable door?
2 tiles wide bridges ONLY with 2 doors on its end. doors still can be destroyed, but it gives time to draw a bridge - and here's weirdness of civs that can swim: although such beings thrown to the pit can swim and get out off water easily, they NEVER swim across water to reach NOT LOCKED doors. They search for way for EXIT only, if they're in water. they do not swim through water to reach fort as it was seen in 0.28's.

btw, i will post sshot to visualize how entrances are made now in few minutes..

How many cage traps do you use?
Far less, than in 0.28's, 90% of civs can avoid traps, so it is useless now. just 2 tile long area at every entrance + 1-2 inside, AND some at pit/dump corridor(disarmed enemies are tending to break free what is quite enterntaining, but usually end in trap then).
I am using these cagetraps for getting elephants/animals mainly. They tend to stay close to such entrances for weird reasons...so usually cages are full in no time.

Do you open up the caverns for wood and plant-gathering and hunting?
as i said earlier, never; my method is different - i am just walling open area and it is becoming part of fort then, it's area adjacent to main entrances, roof is max 3 lvls over entrance. i do not like to change overground areas, i am just adapting it, so my fort is like melted into natural landscape, usually.
btw, hunting NEVER occurs in walled out area(not sure, if NEVER, if area is not under roof, but NEVER under roof, i am sure of it).

Elephants... do they have 4-8 babies per year?
i did not check this to determine how much, but imo, too much - i have gigantic amounts of meat now + fat( :E) and really, if only weight wasnt a problem for caravanas, i could easily buy EVERYTHING that comes with them just by selling that meat..

Capturing and taming wild animals is plentiful meat too, or breeding cows and pigs. Actually rabbits should become adult in half a year but that's not possible in DF. Minor bug that animals don't need to eat, and dwarves eat very little.
To be honest i stopped care even for dogs, since elephants are so easy to..be,hm, obtained. I saw what elephant is able to do with unarmed dwarf, so all grownups are ending as war machines, restrained at entrances, just for additional safety.
I am killing everything to control animal amount, but damn, how to sell all that food - i am afraid that EVERY butcher action is closing me to less fps just because of gigantic food amount and rising barrels amount...
ALSO - atom smasher is NOT eliminating clutter, imo, so it is not method for getting rid of it...it just takes it from sight, imho(ZERO fps effect, regardless of how many things i smash there...).

Sorry for engrish, again..

btw... after another dozen of hours i am noticing fps drop now... i am not allowing to get out off fort to anybody now(it is REALLY dangerous now outside, in 7th year), so massive amount of dead bodies and equipment is everywhere now(as these stupid invaders are fighting with each other and with megabeasts too - one of MB's killed c.a. 40 invaders lately, what a mess, lol, goddamn beast did not want do be drowned :E)...i assume, that main problem now is not pathfinding, but items amount AND maybe, i dont know, some buffers are not cleared in time after sieges?

upd2: i just got ambush and liaison - fps dropped from 78 to 35 OMFG :E
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:52:22 pm by McBeer »
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2869 on: September 01, 2010, 05:48:08 pm »

btw... after another dozen of hours i am noticing fps drop now... i am not allowing to get out off fort to anybody now(it is REALLY dangerous now outside, in 7th year), so massive amount of dead bodies and equipment is everywhere now(as these stupid invaders are fighting with each other and with megabeasts too - one of MB's killed c.a. 40 invaders lately, what a mess, lol, goddamn beast did not want do be drowned :E)...i assume, that main problem now is not pathfinding, but items amount AND maybe, i dont know, some buffers are not cleared in time after sieges?

upd2: i just got ambush and liaison - fps dropped from 78 to 35 OMFG :E

Battles (and enemy/wildlife pathing) drop fps temporarily.

I think more items in the fort (socks!!) makes for lower FPS, thus the atom-smashers. I requested a "burn clothes" workshop reaction from Deon; like 10 clothes in, 1 ash out.
I've seen 4-7 fps with big forest fires. DF is a proper game at 100-300 fps, and a "background activity" at 50 fps.

ps. your English is just fine.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: September 01, 2010, 06:03:01 pm »

Battles (and enemy/wildlife pathing) drop fps temporarily.
Yup, but after it is finished, fps is slightly lower EACH time, imho(let's say - clutter, ok).
Wildlife is not numerous, so it may be skipped as reason, imo(as animals are in open space, usually, with no weird trips over all map).

I requested a "burn clothes" workshop reaction from Deon; like 10 clothes in, 1 ash out.
hah! time to build one! idd, good idea.

I've seen 4-7 fps with big forest fires.
since 3.0x i had no fires, what's weird. even that wingless dragon did not set map on fire while burning siegers everywhere. strange, dry terrain, with many plants, zero fire. temperature's off(but i cant check what's fixed temp now), so maybe it is this. ahh - what's interesting - siegers are setting burning tile sometimes(i do not know what is it exactly, fireplace?) where they stay(in 3.11), no terrain fire from it, too.

DF is a proper game at 100-300 fps
i am just too lazy to sit down at desktop machine and DF, so i am struggling with laptop, in bed, and 30-78 fps is absloutely fabulous situation, especially remembering playing at 9 fps with 0.28's....oh lord how painful it was :E
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:12:12 pm by McBeer »
----------

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: September 01, 2010, 06:14:24 pm »

I requested a "burn clothes" workshop reaction from Deon; like 10 clothes in, 1 ash out.
hah! time to build one! idd, good idea.

Only if the clothing is damaged. I wish to no end I could get dwarves to take off their crappy clothing and let them burn. Even if no ash got produced, the idea of dwarves not picking up my lovely clothing I made for them pisses me off.

I wish Toady would make a feature for uniforms for the fort. Just having a generic uniform for each dwarf would be nice, so I didn't have to read how they are naked and covered in vomit and blood.

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: September 01, 2010, 06:21:57 pm »

covered in vomit and blood.
Corridor with shallow water is (idd)solution(until someone will make LAUNDRY/bath workshop)..

Only if the clothing is damaged.
Not always - enemies are leaving cheap "small" "large" etc useless crap everywhere..too cheap to sell, too useless to collect..

"burn clothes"
need to check this,  what interests me - if owned clothes are giving "unreachable item" msgs after being burned, or it loses owner properly..or it just cannot be used with owned items(what i realized now..)...nvmd.

Yet another weird ass action
haha, i love such stories :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:32:37 pm by McBeer »
----------

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: September 01, 2010, 06:22:19 pm »

I too noticed that FPS constantly drops, like -20 fps every year (or so) with stable fort, even with inv off

That being said, I doubt its the right place to discuss that kind of stuff

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: September 02, 2010, 12:28:16 am »

Corridor with shallow water is (idd)solution(until someone will make LAUNDRY/bath workshop)..
A well and some soap is enough to keep your dwarves clean.

Also if you don't use caverns, McBeer, it would be a good idea to reduce them to 1 level and min openness. This way cavern creatures won't mess up your fps much.

On elephants and mammoths: they have a SINGLE child born and it matures in 6 (10 for mammoth) years! So I don't consider it an overkill. I can't make it worse without making elephants into ents lol :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

oolon1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: September 02, 2010, 03:37:19 am »

I just installed and patched 3.11.  I'm getting all sorts of weirdness at the "prepare carefully" screen.  Ant lungs, silkworm kidneys, tame forgotten beast and cave fish men pets that cost 1 point.  The only silk cloth options are "frozen iron man gas cloth" and "unknown frozen creature substance cloth".  I'm guessing something's screwy with overwriting the raws, but I think I'll have to try "installing" everything again.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:38:50 am by oolon1 »

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: September 02, 2010, 05:48:53 am »

Ah, so the results of the "Where the hell are the animals?!" test!

After a number of embarks (and reclaims), I have narrowed down the problem overall.

In some cases, the expeditions are just unlucky and encounter an area almost entirely devoid of creatures.  However, they DO exist - I learned when I finally found a waterfall (I could find an area that, on the elevation map, would go form * <-- too high to chart, to 0, and the result was the river was always on the same level, the terrain would just move around it - no waterfall!) - and dug a channel to allow my marvelous Moss Fisherdwarf to get access to the water...

Only for my Moss miner/brewer to be ripped apart by an alligator - I embarked with the materials to make a steel axe (and the beginnings of steel armor), but couldn't set up the workshops and smelt the ore before the deed was done.  The alligator hovered JUST outside panic distance from my workshops as I fashioned a mismash of an armor suit - Steel battle axe, steel shirt, copper leggings, copper shield, and silver helm (I embarked with tetrahedrite) - another alligator had come ashore, only to have its limbs hacked brutally apart by my steel dwarf commander.  Issadore, the alligator that struck down my Miner escaped narrowly. 

Which leads me to another discovery: Upon a reclaim, all wildlife totally disappears.  Completely.  Nothing in the rivers (not even mussels or oysters), no pike or carp, no fireflies - nothing.  I've reclaimed a couple of times right off in order to save the location of an ideal spot, but it turns out this is a flawed idea, since it completely destroys the wildlife in that area.

So, I'll just have to keep going with 6 - I've prepared for the fun of alligators, at least (Turns out, though, that super regenerative powers do nothing when your lower body is ripped off!)

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: September 02, 2010, 05:56:22 am »

Ah, I forgot an unrelated question - I have a large number of vellum, and a library - but no option to study anything - how do you use vellum for studying purposes?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: September 02, 2010, 07:02:46 am »

I too noticed that FPS constantly drops, like -20 fps every year (or so) with stable fort, even with inv off

That being said, I doubt its the right place to discuss that kind of stuff

That is mainly because the number of items on the map is growing. You should try to dump all kind of sh*t on the map.

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: September 02, 2010, 08:08:58 am »

Also if you don't use caverns, McBeer, it would be a good idea to reduce them to 1 level and min openness. This way cavern creatures won't mess up your fps much.
Damn, and i realized why it is faster now - i did not discover any caves.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:33:15 am by McBeer »
----------
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 642