Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229756 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 2.6 ϟ] - tricks and treats
« Reply #1755 on: June 20, 2010, 11:39:54 am »

can't wait :3
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: June 20, 2010, 11:44:57 am »

I think I have said this before but great job on genesis Deon. :)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: June 20, 2010, 12:05:35 pm »

- 2.8: new creatures (swans, pelicans - TomiTapio); adjustments to materials; smaller birds cannot be used for leather/bone industry (but cats still can... it's sacred); minor bugs are fixed; the newest Ironhand's tiles are used.

So yeah, now you don't make anvils out of ironwood or sun gold, I've added back missing material classes so the furniture workshop is working as it's supposed to, and I've changed announcement settings so once a dwarf dies the screen is centered on that tile and the game is paused.

I've also added most of the suggestions (if I missed some then sorry, you can request them again, I was a bit lost in the thread :P) and I've also removed the fleshballs because they seem to be the source of too many problems in the fort mode while they add nothing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 2.8 ϟ] -> 0.31.08
« Reply #1758 on: June 20, 2010, 12:08:56 pm »

The mod includes combat balancing, right? Like more damaging blunt weapons etc.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: June 20, 2010, 12:13:59 pm »

The main difference is the material rebalance, so animals bite harder, swords stab better and hammers break bones even better. The combat is definitely deadlier, but not too much hehe.

Since 2.0/2.3 I've used Arkkhal's material overhaul as a base (that's why I've got a few bugs with materials in previous versions - I didn't fix the ones from Arkkhal) and his mod makes DF much more realistic. He probably used some encyclopedia and then tested it in the game and adjusted to get better results.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 12:16:07 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: June 20, 2010, 12:39:04 pm »

- 2.8: new creatures (swans, pelicans - TomiTapio); adjustments to materials; smaller birds cannot be used for leather/bone industry (but cats still can... it's sacred); minor bugs are fixed; the newest Ironhand's tiles are used.

So yeah, now you don't make anvils out of ironwood or sun gold, I've added back missing material classes so the furniture workshop is working as it's supposed to, and I've changed announcement settings so once a dwarf dies the screen is centered on that tile and the game is paused.

I've also added most of the suggestions (if I missed some then sorry, you can request them again, I was a bit lost in the thread :P) and I've also removed the fleshballs because they seem to be the source of too many problems in the fort mode while they add nothing.

Downloaded and Starting a new game :D

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: June 20, 2010, 04:23:57 pm »

Okay, so now that the newest version is out, I think I'll download Genesis and try it out.  Does anyone have any advice on how to get the most out of the game in terms of play style?  As in, the most differences from vanilla DF.  Are there certain biomes where more of the cool/different things live?  Are there worldgen parameters that would allow more weird races to survive?  Anything else I should look for on starting a new game to make sure I see the most of what Genesis does (as is possible in one game, anyway)?

P.S. Minor fix: on the DFFD page, the description says "For 0.31.06" not .08.  Not in the info box, but in the description.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 04:26:57 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: June 20, 2010, 04:33:04 pm »

The new caste system makes the biggest impact on the gameplay. You should be able to achieve some tasks better with specific castes (and some worse :P It depends on your view).

For example, if you want all your trees intact, you should keep obsidian dwarves away from woodcutting (and probably from outside military) because they can cause forest fires.

However if you don't care for the outside trees and/or use underground trees (and it's easier since now you can use "compact peat" as a new fuel source, and stone for beds) then you may want to encourage forest fires to keep aboveground critters away.

Another thing you should care about is that your dwarves should be trained in shields and dodging, because ranged weapons are stronger than in vanilla.

By the way, if you want the fun soil stuff (goethite as an iron ore in the soil, compact peat as the new fuel source) then you may want to pick a biome with a swampy soil (blanket mire/black bog/swamp peat).

Note that evil biomes are deadlier because they have raptors which are quite nasty.

Underground has some nasty/poisonous undeads and aberrations too, so be careful there, it's better to wall-off your first exposed cavern excavations.

Note that if you want to exploit the Altar of Nature which gives you seeds from vermin corpses, you may want to include a good biome in your Embark location, because moon berry seeds you get from those are plantable only in good biomes.

There're tons of ideas I can give you, but you can play without them and still have plenty of Fun :P.

P.S. Minor fix: on the DFFD page, the description says "For 0.31.06" not .08.  Not in the info box, but in the description.
Thank you, I always keep forgetting about this.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: June 20, 2010, 04:48:00 pm »

It does sound Fun by both definitionsk ;D

The "embark on a swamp" advice is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks.  I was reading things, and I definitely want to use this as a chance to try out Ironworks and do more with the caverns since there are more things down there.  I hadn't really understood the alters, but moonberries sound fun, so I'll try to gen a world with a good/evil overlap in a swampy area.  So any advice on worldgen parameters to get the maximum number of cool things/civs to survive?

Thinking about peat reminds me: it's too bad there isn't a way to require peat in the making of Swamp Whisky.  I've always assumed that was Dwarvern Scotch.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: June 20, 2010, 04:57:55 pm »

You might want to adjust the pop ratios so that stone dwarves are more common. I've never had more than two stone dwarves in a single embark, and nine out of ten times there's only one or zero stone dwarves.

I know I can do it myself but I thought you'd appreciate the feedback  ;)

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: June 20, 2010, 06:12:15 pm »

Hello players,

what  we can mod population caste ratios???   if true where do i look for that?

edit: found the pop_ratio in creature_genesis.txt raw file.  what's the number represent. percentages?

R
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 06:24:56 pm by rynait »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: June 20, 2010, 06:56:31 pm »

Nah, it's a relative number. So you sum up all ratios and compare the total number to the number present.

Also I have never told that stone dwarves are meant to be dominant. They are more frequent than other castes, but there's plenty of others too.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: June 20, 2010, 07:01:14 pm »

I find that often my moss dwarves are the most frequent actually, its not that big a deal though I kinda like them a little more..  :P
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: June 20, 2010, 07:17:40 pm »

I find that often my moss dwarves are the most frequent actually, its not that big a deal though I kinda like them a little more..  :P
It seems to me that, yeah, moss dwarves are even more common than stone dwarves. But I really care only about jade, obsidian and steel ones =)

And yes, thank you very much for your great work, Deon!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 07:20:48 pm by afoninv »
-
V.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: June 20, 2010, 08:32:29 pm »

Just to chime in on this:

I just started my fort (on a Hot/Warm saltwater swamp with peat and aquifer, sadly only untamed wilds).  Anyway, I have 3 Moss Dwarves, 3 Shroom dwarves, and 1 Aspid Dwarf out of the starting 7.  That is my data point of one supporting the Moss dwarf argument.  I wonder if there is anything to do with the biome of the dwarf civilization or something?

I made a very swampy map, and those 3 seem the most swampy dwarf types.  There are snakemen on the map, if that relates to the Aspid dwarf.

Or it could be just dumb luck.  But maybe there is some kind of natural selection as to where the dwarfs make a successful civilization.  I am only in year 2 and so they all say they are one of the only ones of their kind.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 642