Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: I am so SICK OF GOLD.  (Read 16895 times)

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: I am so SICK OF GOLD.
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »

If you have ample silver from the tetrahedrite(or other ores) you can make Black Bronze instead with Gold, Silver and Copper. Not as valuable, but it's purple (despite the name) which is infinitely more awesome than pink.

Ah, nice. You want to mix it with Rose Gold though, as Black Bronze is actually purple on brown, something which looks awful for doors, etc. Rose Gold is pink on purple. Bismuth is the same color also, but can't be forged into anything.

But definitely, Black Bronze for walls & floors, Rose Gold for everything else. Gives a nice contrast.

Hm, not a bad idea.  Though real black bronze is a bit too dark for my taste.  Maybe Billon instead; I could make that straight away from the Tetrahedrite.  I wonder if it's possible to alter the raws so that weapons and armour could be made out of rose gold and billion; it would make good ceremonial armour for a fortress or royal guard...

Great, the place is called "Sculptedcastle" (the RNG was surprisingly kind to me) and I'm already working on forging everything out of metal. :P
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2010, 01:46:17 pm »

Keep making gold statues until you get one of each of your starting dwarves of masterpiece quality, then pave the embark site with gold and put the golden statues of the 7 founders up there.

Wish you could also make a golden wagon.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2010, 02:03:05 pm »

I want to use the caverns to build an entirely constructed fortress of gold and silver.

This may be a plan the cavern residents take offence to, however. I'll have to work on it.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2010, 02:07:00 pm »

It must be said the availability of things now is a wee bit ridiculous.  My eyes are bleeding from all this hematite, bituminous coal, moss agate and gold. Thanks for telling us you can tune it down in the raws, I might do just that!  It is a bit silly getting almost all known metals in one smallish site when in the real world you might get one easily-exhaustable coal mine instead.  :P
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2010, 02:07:57 pm »

Build a road of gold.

better yet... make a road out of gold blocks. Then designate it as a burrow named "the yellow brick road"

Silly - the Yellow Brick Road should be made out of orthoclase, not gold.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2010, 02:11:50 pm »

If you have ample silver from the tetrahedrite(or other ores) you can make Black Bronze instead with Gold, Silver and Copper. Not as valuable, but it's purple (despite the name) which is infinitely more awesome than pink.

Ah, nice. You want to mix it with Rose Gold though, as Black Bronze is actually purple on brown, something which looks awful for doors, etc. Rose Gold is pink on purple. Bismuth is the same color also, but can't be forged into anything.

But definitely, Black Bronze for walls & floors, Rose Gold for everything else. Gives a nice contrast.

Hm, not a bad idea.  Though real black bronze is a bit too dark for my taste.  Maybe Billon instead; I could make that straight away from the Tetrahedrite.  I wonder if it's possible to alter the raws so that weapons and armour could be made out of rose gold and billion; it would make good ceremonial armour for a fortress or royal guard...

Great, the place is called "Sculptedcastle" (the RNG was surprisingly kind to me) and I'm already working on forging everything out of metal. :P
In case you didn't notice, the tetrahedrite billon exploit has been fixed, so you need twice as much as you used to.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BinarySpace

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2010, 02:13:58 pm »

I'm definitely going to tone it down in the raw files. I registered just to complain about this ore situation ;) I built up epic quantities of everything, and it actually demoralises me because there's so much of everything, it no longer seems special in any way. Before, I'd get all excited and think, ooh what will I make from my limited platinum supply? Now its like, whats the point, I can make anything.

I think it would be great if ore amounts went up as you dig deeper, and also underground enemies increase at a similar rate, so that there's a risk/reward setup, and going down each level could be a kind of slightly scary event. I'd love to see tons more underground caves/tunnels too, that would make things interesting. In my last game I was getting bored so just burrowed riiiiight down only to find a water filled, enemy free cavern, doh!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2010, 02:26:07 pm »

Lucky you! I've found nothing but iron ore so far and a handful of gems, and my cavern is ABSOLUTELY FULL of lizard and reptile peoples.

A forgotten beast showed up, killed two reptile people, then left...

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2010, 02:32:22 pm »

It menaces with spikes of rose gold.
Hmm - can you build menacing spikes out of any metal now, too? Impaling enemies and/or nobles on spikes of some of the unusable-for-weapons-in-40d metals could be quite humorous and/or poetic.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2010, 02:34:53 pm »

my caves are more or less empty.... except the 12 or so GCS.... One attacked my settlement and killed of 9 of my 12 war dogs. it tehn hopped away with everything EXCEPT it's abdomen ripped off...

well now my little fortress is in it's second year. and the traps are going in to * HOPEFULLY* capture a GCS or two.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2010, 06:15:53 pm »

In case you didn't notice, the tetrahedrite billon exploit has been fixed, so you need twice as much as you used to.

I haven't noticed, mostly because I have so much tetrahedrite around that I don't care one bit how much I use.  :P
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2010, 09:21:45 pm »

Oz was only green outside. Give everyone inside some sort of green glasses / goggles.

SSSH! Don't ruin the dreams of the sad people who only ever watched the movie!
Pfft. The city wasn't even emerald. It was all green glass.

By the way, you know towards the beginning of the movie when Dorothy starts off on the yellow brick road? Anyone know where the red one went?
Spoiler: Muhahahaha (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2010, 09:36:30 pm »

Real men turn their gold to electrum.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 07:08:33 pm »

Real men turn their gold to electrum.
maybe so, but these are dwarves...
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 08:23:59 pm »

I am studding all of my wooden doors with iron, modded down the value of iron to 8 and modded up the value of gold to 200. Copper coins are now 5, silver coins are 100, and gold coins are 2000. I don't properly know what this does to my fortress dynamic, but I'll see. Oh. coins are now in stacks of 500. Thought I'd mention that.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5