Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1159 1160 [1161] 1162 1163 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122747 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17400 on: February 09, 2012, 09:40:39 pm »

Is there any way to encourage mating with all of the dwarves?

I understand that, with the LazyNewbPack, that you can change the ratio between children and adults, but is there some sort of ingredient that can create a baby boom?

The reason I'm asking this is because my dwarf army of 100 dwarves armed with wooden axes are slowly about to die of old age (I don't know the actual avg life span of a dwarf). I've been turning new migrants into recruits for a new generation, but I kind of want a new generation of new generation children.

Let them idle. In a small meeting area.

This will improve their social skills, which in turn seems to have some effect on their marriage rate.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17401 on: February 09, 2012, 10:13:34 pm »

So, a woodcutter got a Fey mood, grabbed a ton of stuff, and is demanding leather... I've got plenty of leather sitting in a stockpile and he's just sitting there like I have none.... What's going on here?

Hrm, I *think* moody dwarves ignore burrow restrictions, but not sure.  If the moody dwarf is in a burrow, take them out of it.

Make sure the tannery is operational, and your leather is processed leather.

Check either stocks screen or look at the items directly and make sure they are not forbidden, dumped, whatever.

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Bobbias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17402 on: February 09, 2012, 10:30:26 pm »

I have no burrows, I've already checked and they're not dumped or forbidden, and I do have a tannery. It's stored in a few bins a few Z levels down from where the craftdwarfs workshop is... But I've seen him walk farther for other ingredients.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17403 on: February 09, 2012, 10:31:46 pm »

What else is he demanding?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

smips63

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17404 on: February 09, 2012, 10:34:46 pm »

I've been rocking out in a new fortress the past two days and it's been going great(sans a woodcutter getting killed by a giant badger or something... Took him down in one blow too!). There's been one problem irking me though. On multiple occasions I've had dorfs go idle on me for no reason! For example, a woodcutter would sit there with no job even though he has an axe, trees are designated to be cut, and his only enabled labor is wood cutting. This has also happened with my brewer, miners, farmers, and furnace operators. If I disable there job and enable it again in therapist or cancel the job and list it again, this usually gets fixed. However, it's pretty annoying to keep tabs on, especially since I'm stretched very thin on dorf-power right now(only 13 or so?). Any ideas on what the cause might be?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17405 on: February 09, 2012, 11:11:40 pm »

There's been one problem irking me though. On multiple occasions I've had dorfs go idle on me for no reason! For example, a woodcutter would sit there with no job even though he has an axe, trees are designated to be cut, and his only enabled labor is wood cutting. This has also happened with my brewer, miners, farmers, and furnace operators. If I disable there job and enable it again in therapist or cancel the job and list it again, this usually gets fixed. However, it's pretty annoying to keep tabs on, especially since I'm stretched very thin on dorf-power right now(only 13 or so?). Any ideas on what the cause might be?

There's a periodic 'lag time', especially fairly early in certain fortress's lives, where dwarves seem unable to notice new tasks for a constantly changing apparently random number of seconds.

I have no idea what the cause of this is, but I've observed it in multiple forts myself - though not every fort I have is affected by this.  It seems to disappear entirely by the time I have 20+ dwarves and it never comes back, and I have no idea if this is fixed by time or population or some combined skill levels or whatever else.  I've seen my starting 7, set to dump a good hundred+ stones into a quantum dump, dump one stone, then head 150ish squares towards the wagon with the 'no job' flag, then suddenly turn around and go get one more stone to dump before wandering 30ish steps back towards the wagon then appearing to realize there's more stone to dump.

Oddly, these 'amnesia pulses' seem to affect all of my dwarves with roughly the same  timing.

Have you deconstructed your wagon yet?  My favorite theory is that there's something about the wagon and its meetingpoint that causes this odd behavior.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

smips63

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17406 on: February 09, 2012, 11:24:17 pm »

Thanks for the response, sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. I did not deconstruct the wagon, but one of the first things I did was set up a new meeting area at my fort enterence. That has since been moved to my dining hall. I just got a huge migrant wave(19 more dorfs!) before stopping for the night, so I will see if that "solves" the problem next time I play(Sunday probably).

I also had similar occurances like you described where a dorf will haul one of 100 things, get the no job flag, then turn around and start hauling again. I also once noticed a furnace operator(that was his only labor active along with item hauling I believe) get the no job flag even though I had coal to be processed, go outside and gather a plant, store it, then go back to operating a furnace. It was very strange and happened right after removing him from a burrow.

Bobbias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17407 on: February 09, 2012, 11:28:23 pm »

What else is he demanding?

You just hit the crux of the problem. I didn't wait long enough to see the entire list. I jut checked the entire list of demands with what was in the workshop. He has leather. I ended up having to wait for a caravan to arrive for some yarn cloth, which I bought bins of (I figure I might as well start a small textile industry)

Here's the result:

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17408 on: February 10, 2012, 01:52:57 am »

Is a murky pool that has fallen several z-levels still fishable?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17409 on: February 10, 2012, 02:12:19 am »

If your fisherdwarves can access the water, they can fish. You may need to make the level directly above the water accessable via mining downwards.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17410 on: February 10, 2012, 02:31:44 am »

I've been rocking out in a new fortress the past two days and it's been going great(sans a woodcutter getting killed by a giant badger or something... Took him down in one blow too!). There's been one problem irking me though. On multiple occasions I've had dorfs go idle on me for no reason! For example, a woodcutter would sit there with no job even though he has an axe, trees are designated to be cut, and his only enabled labor is wood cutting. This has also happened with my brewer, miners, farmers, and furnace operators. If I disable there job and enable it again in therapist or cancel the job and list it again, this usually gets fixed. However, it's pretty annoying to keep tabs on, especially since I'm stretched very thin on dorf-power right now(only 13 or so?). Any ideas on what the cause might be?

Do you have a manager assigned with a table to work on? 

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17411 on: February 10, 2012, 02:34:23 am »

If your fisherdwarves can access the water, they can fish. You may need to make the level directly above the water accessable via mining downwards.
Cool beans, thanks.

Tumsh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17412 on: February 10, 2012, 03:27:46 am »

So, I have a little dwarf with her head cut open just sitting out on the field. For some reason
no body is picking her up. She isn't leaving on her own either.

Any ideas?

I do have plenty of dwarfs who will pick up wounded. I even made myself a dedicated nurse...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17413 on: February 10, 2012, 03:29:31 am »

So, I have a little dwarf with her head cut open just sitting out on the field. For some reason

Any ideas?

I do have plenty of dwarfs who will pick up wounded. I even made myself a dedicated nurse...

Do you have a designed, active and designated Hospital? Does said dwarf have her own bedroom?

Tumsh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17414 on: February 10, 2012, 03:30:36 am »

Any ideas?

Do you have a designed, active and designated Hospital? Does said dwarf have her own bedroom?

Yes, I have an active hospital. The dwarf also has her own bedroom.

Edit: Taken care of. I guess some dwarfs just felt they had higher priority jobs...?

Edit 2: And as soon as she was dropped off she left the hospital and went to her own bed...?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:34:04 am by Tumsh »
Pages: 1 ... 1159 1160 [1161] 1162 1163 ... 1178