Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1161 1162 [1163] 1164 1165 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122676 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17430 on: February 10, 2012, 04:59:21 pm »

I reclaimed a fortress earlier today, and I'm noticing that a number of bins are going unused, and several stockpiles are not using enough (or any at all). All stockpiles are set to use the maximum number, I did a mass reclaim of all objects (so nothing is forbidden anymore), and I have no bins in reserve. They're just sitting in my furniture stockpile, not getting used. What gives?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17431 on: February 10, 2012, 06:09:01 pm »

What happens when stationed soldiers get thirsty/hungry etc? Do they eventually leave depending on willpower etc stats, or do they stay forever and die?

Also why did I just get migrants when my pop said 101 and my popcap is 100?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17432 on: February 10, 2012, 06:21:58 pm »

Is alcohol the only thing that can quench thirst?

I remember a month ago when I first started that my dwarves would always die of thirst. I never knew how to make a drinking zone or a bucket at the time, so 1/4th of them died before I succumbed to an invasion. Now that I know how to make zones for drinking/garbage, is there any other tradeoff for drinking water to quench thirst? Would they be able to live on? I don't care if they work slower because I literally have 400 dwarves helping everybody do jobs.

1) You can find yourself on saltwater which dwarves will not drink.

2) You can resolve that by using a screw pump as a "filter" and pump into a cistern where the water is in contact with all constructed surfaces.

3) With 400 dwarves, one brewer and one farmer will probably be enough when they get to legendary.

4) You can set up your food stocks so that certain grown items normally useable for either food making or brewing are only useable for brewing.  After a while, you can forbid a stock of seeds, and set the seeds in the stock screen to be cookable until you have used all the unforbidden seeds in cooking.  Then stop cooking the seeds, unforbid the seed stock, and start the process all over again.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17433 on: February 10, 2012, 06:26:21 pm »

As far as I can tell, dwarves do not get bad thoughts from drinking out of a well, even if the well is built over muddy or salty water.  They will get bad thoughts any time they drink without a well (the 'complained about lack of a well' thought) as well as possible bad thoughts from drinking 'nasty water' if it's from a murky pool or otherwise contaminated.  It is still possible to keep thirst quenched with nothing but water, or with nothing but booze if you have no water available.

One thing to remember - if the water level supplying a well is at the level of the well itself, your dwarves can drink directly from the water through the side of the well without actually using the well, and get bad thoughts if the water is muddy.  You will want to have the surface of the water feeding your well to be at least 1 z level below where the well itself is.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17434 on: February 10, 2012, 06:28:08 pm »

I reclaimed a fortress earlier today, and I'm noticing that a number of bins are going unused, and several stockpiles are not using enough (or any at all). All stockpiles are set to use the maximum number, I did a mass reclaim of all objects (so nothing is forbidden anymore), and I have no bins in reserve. They're just sitting in my furniture stockpile, not getting used. What gives?

Undesignate and redesignate the stockpile?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17435 on: February 10, 2012, 06:50:24 pm »

eta: speaking of caverns stuff, how big do you guys make your tree farms?

I favor carving them into the soil layers where possible.  It's safer since you don't need to mess with the caverns at all, and the soil layers will grow mushrooms from all three cavern layers.  Size isn't a big deal unless of course the embark area has no trees, usually I use those areas as an emergency wood supply if I get hit by a long seige.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17436 on: February 10, 2012, 07:19:57 pm »

OKAY! I finally fought off 3 goblin seiges with my armorless dwarves with wooden axes at the expense of 10 of my War Dogs.

People are throwing tantrums left and right, and I'm thinking it might be from the teeth/limbs/corpses everywhere, as well as the blood. As I drag bodies away, they're still throwing tantrums. Is there a way to clean blood?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17437 on: February 10, 2012, 07:29:40 pm »

They do it on their own if they have cleaning set, but it's super duper ultra low priority. Like below "lazing around". Setting a meeting area increases the priority there a lot.

Walls can never be cleaned (unless there's blood on the floor too, in which case the wall is cleaned at the same time). Use DFHack's clean command. Good for anti-lag anyway.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:35:30 pm by Yaotzin »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17438 on: February 10, 2012, 07:30:54 pm »

OKAY! I finally fought off 3 goblin seiges with my armorless dwarves with wooden axes at the expense of 10 of my War Dogs.

People are throwing tantrums left and right, and I'm thinking it might be from the teeth/limbs/corpses everywhere, as well as the blood. As I drag bodies away, they're still throwing tantrums. Is there a way to clean blood?
Idon't think that dwarves get bad thoughts from blood.
Anyway, dwarves will clean smoothed stone indoors automatically if they have the cleaning labor activated. If the area to be cleaned is near a meeting place, it should be cleaned very quickly.

Walls are cleaned if a tile next to them is cleaned.

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17439 on: February 10, 2012, 08:08:16 pm »

OKAY I THINK MY FORTRESS IS DEAD...

As I type this, I'm watching 57 of my trained axemen armed with wooden axes get demolished by the AoE of this dragon that waltzed on towards my base

What's the best counter to these things so that I can be prepared for next time?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17440 on: February 10, 2012, 08:18:12 pm »

1 cage trap :P

Then you can breed them hohohoho

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17441 on: February 10, 2012, 08:19:06 pm »

Shields, even wooden shields, can block dragonfire. 
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17442 on: February 10, 2012, 08:22:51 pm »

Nithe the soon to be tamed Roc, aw yeah.

There's no way to breed such beasties without another opposite sex one visiting as well, right?

what's the difference between training him as a hunting pet vs a war pet?

damn why can't I train him :sadface:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:45:00 pm by Yaotzin »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17443 on: February 10, 2012, 09:54:38 pm »

Undesignate and redesignate the stockpile?
Moot point. I got hit with a goblin lasher squad, and couldn't reach the drawbridge lever in time. A military reclaim failed to fight them off. I'm afraid I have to write this one (and it's awesome artifact) off.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17444 on: February 10, 2012, 10:03:25 pm »

Is it possible for a siege to just ... leave you alone?

So far I have a moat around my new fortress, (I still have to find stone passed this aquifier to get mechanisms for the drawbridge), and I was wondering if it was possible to just .... lock yourself away from all of them and wait the seige out until they get bored. This would save me some time ... BIG time...
Pages: 1 ... 1161 1162 [1163] 1164 1165 ... 1178